Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: My big goal this year is to FINALLY keep up some kind of running between training for races. I have failed at this miserably since I started running six years ago, so I sat down yesterday and filled out my calendar. I fit in the races I'm doing and the ones I want to do, and then just went with my gut to ebb and flow training in between. I'm hoping if SOMETHING is on the schedule, rather than a vague thought of "oh I'll jump on the treadmill a few times a week" I might actually do it. That presented a few spots in the schedule where some additional races might make sense, and I'd like to try for a better POT for the half, just in case rD changes things again, so here's what it's looking like so far:

February: Princess 5K - I'll be walking this with my mom and aunt, then taking the rest of the weekend as vacation and spectating. (Unless @Herding_Cats ends up coming down for the Half, then I'll run it with her!)

March: Everest 5K - This happened to line up at the end of an existing trip, and Everest is my fav, so I signed up. Family joining so just for fun.

April: Local half w/ cumulative downhill and great weather, so this could be a new PR attempt.

Summer: I'll largely be on my treadmill and probably join some of the monthly livestream iFit 5K races.

September: Looking at another local half that's an extreme downhill - Revel Big Cottonwood literally goes down a mountain road and is advertised as a PR guarantee. This is also when I'll need to start focusing on Dopey training, so I'm a bit wary of injury. If I am short of a PR in April and the POT loosens up, this is a likely option to try once more. (The same week, there is a half out of state that I'm also considering, with less extreme terrain.)

November: Wine & Dine 5K - Again, this coincides with an existing trip and if I extend one day, I tick off all four race weekends this year!

Last edited:
SAFD: I’m running all of Princess Weekend and Springtime Surprise in person, and planning to sign up for Wine & Dine in person too. I had a local 5 Miler yesterday (and I didn’t freeze to death), and a local 10 Miler in May. There’s probably a few other local races I’ll sign up for as I encounter them.

I’m running the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (8k) in March followed by the womens Naperville Half in April. I plan on registering for the Detroit international Half in October buuuuut my passport is both expired and missing (oops). I need to sort that out first but keep forgetting. I don’t think I’ll do any summer races. My focus this year will be getting ready for my first marathon at MW 2023.

I’m running the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (8k) in March followed by the womens Naperville Half in April. I plan on registering for the Detroit international Half in October buuuuut my passport is both expired and missing (oops). I need to sort that out first but keep forgetting. I don’t think I’ll do any summer races. My focus this year will be getting ready for my first marathon at MW 2023.
I’d never heard of the Detroit International Half - might be a good choice for me for a half this fall.

SAFD:
February : Gasparilla Half
March: a local 5K that has already been moved from in person to virtual as well as the SS Everest 5K (I was feeling tempted to also do TOT but doing a 10 miler and than worrying about getting back to the room to shower/pack/check out is just too much)
May: I have another local 5k

beyond that right now there are 4 or 5 other events I’m looking at for the year (including at least the 10K for Wine and Dine) but I’m just burnt out mentally right now and just can’t commit to much

For DVC owners, because I know a little bit, but am in no way well-versed in it, how much of a unicorn would an AK value studio be for marathon weekend? As in Tuesday-Sunday? And how much of a unicorn to find an owner with correct UY (what month/year should I even be looking for?) that owns at AK? DH isn't ready to think about a trip next year, but if I can put together some numbers I might be able to get a sort-of-yes out of him. It looks like studios at nearly every other resort (minus OWK?) are the same number of points per night.

As a AKV owner, you have to do a technique called walking to get thoses rooms. So for example I am walking a club level AKV room for marathon weekend which is just as hard to get as value. It is a little time consuming. Here is a link to explain it https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-is-walking-a-reservation.3774129/ But I can guarteen that right now someone is walking a value room. So I would just try for something else. Standard rooms are still good value to rent. I would try for that.

SAFD
Princess Challenge in a few weeks!!! My first half marathon soo excited!!
I am registered for Colfax Half Marathon on May 14th
Then I am looking at a Boulder Half marathon in Oct. Races help keep me motivated but I want to save my first marathon for disney, so sticking to half.
Also I normally run a 5k with my mom on thanksgiving.

Also considering registering for the Niagara Falls marathon in October.

I really, really, REALLY hope that they get to hold this race in 2022. I did the 10K in 2019 and it was a great race. I'm not interested in the marathon, but maybe the 10K or the half?

SAFD: I'm looking at a half marathon in May - either the Grand Island half at the beginning of the month or the Buffalo half at the end, but I'm leaning towards the Grand Island one. This plan depends on how my discussion with my physical therapist goes in the morning. I was looking at one of the Niagara Falls races in October (see above) or the Grand Island racing club has an evening 10K at the beginning of October that looks interesting. I don't like running in the heat at all (I don't know how you Southerners do it!) so my thought is to use the summer to increase my base, assuming that I want to try for a redemption run at Dopey 2023.

Does anyone have know when the POT deadline was for Marathon Weekend for 2022? I know that I can't get a POT at the current standards, but just in case they change the standards again...

February: Princess 5K - I'll be walking this with my mom and aunt, then taking the rest of the weekend as vacation and spectating. (Unless @Herding_Cats ends up coming down for the Half, then I'll run it with her!)

DD woke up early this morning so I did a mega search for flights and brought SFB into the mix instead on only looking at MCO and while I did find a set of flights that would give me about 36hrs of trip, I’m having a really hard time justifying the cost because I could book a dvc room for next MW (for 5 days) for what those 36hrs would cost me.☹ I reeeeallly want it to be able to happen but it’s a lot when we just had Christmas, 3 birthdays, 5 days at Disney, and spring break in 70-ish days.

DD woke up early this morning and while I did find a set of flights that would give me about 36hrs of trip, I’m having a really hard time justifying the cost because I could book a dvc room for next MW (for 5 days) for what those 36hrs would cost me.☹ I reeeeallly want it to be able to happen but it’s a lot when we just had Christmas, 3 birthdays, 5 days at Disney, and spring break in 70-ish days.

If it's not coming together easily, that's probably a sign that it's not meant to be. ZERO pressure from me, honestly. If it works out, cool. If not, I'll see you in January! :D

I’m registered for the Colorado Women’s Series 10k in May, and am thinking about the Denver Hot Chocolate 15k in October. I’m percolating the idea of doing the Princess half next year, and this year could be a good building year for that. The ToT 10-miler looks interesting but the old course doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’m waiting to see how the Springtime Surprise goes this year before making my decision between the two rD weekends.

I’m glad we’re continuing SAFD; thank you, @balooinmichigan for taking it on.

The marathon went badly for me this past weekend (first ever DNF🙁). Running has been very difficult for me since coming back from MW 2020 with flu and Covid. I’ve got some heart issues now that just are frustrating. My heart rate soars, even when running slowly. Couple that with a bad training cycle and horrible blisters, and I was not surprised to get swept at mile six. I’ve decided that I’m done with the marathon distance (I’ve completed six; last weekend would have been seven).

I did complete the half last weekend, just slower than any I’ve ever done. I think the half needs to be my top distance now. I’m signed up for the Princess Half, and a 24-hour ultra in Ohio in April (deferred from 2020). It’s such that I can walk/take breaks as needed. It’s a one mile trail loop, so I‘m not under pressure to get from point A to point B in a certain time. DH may have a business trip in Iowa the week prior, and there is a possibility of going with him and running a half then (to collect a new state where we‘ve run). I’ll certainly do Peachtree on July 4, and probably our local half in October, and the local Thanksgiving 8k. Otherwise, I’m not sure if I’ll sign up for anything else in 2022. I’m discouraged right now, and find running extremely frustrating. I want to get back to where I used to be (slow, but capable of running a half at any time an interesting one was available). I need my running spark back, but I’m just not there currently.

I had a really good time last weekend, despite the marathon DNF, and I expect that DH and I will be back for 2023. He will probably run the full, but I’ll likely stick to the half.

@theexpert, we enjoyed meeting you before the half. Sorry we didn’t make the full meetup. We decided to sleep a little later. Unfortunately, when they started the race early, they closed the corrals. S5 was closed at 4:55, when I got through the portopotty line, and so starting just in front of the balloon ladies erased any hope I had of finishing. Even so, I’m glad to have given it a shot, and we had a terrific time on the trip—can’t wait to be back for Princess!

@theexpert, we enjoyed meeting you before the half. Sorry we didn’t make the full meetup. We decided to sleep a little later. Unfortunately, when they started the race early, they closed the corrals. S5 was closed at 4:55, when I got through the portopotty line, and so starting just in front of the balloon ladies erased any hope I had of finishing. Even so, I’m glad to have given it a shot, and we had a terrific time on the trip—can’t wait to be back for Princess!

I was hoping you'd check in here so I could find out how the weekend went for you all. Sorry to hear about your DNF, but glad you had a good time regardless. I'll be at the HH and 5K meetups for Princess and hope to see you there!

I don't have too much planned for this year. I'm doing a local 5k on Feb 13. Using this a time trial to start training for the Long Island Half on May 1 (deferral from 2020). I entered the lottery for the Cherry Blossom 10M in April, so I'll find out in a few days if I got in. It'd be awesome to do W&D this year, but I don't think I can swing it. I'll definitely do a Disney race weekend in 2023, but not sure which yet.

I was hoping you'd check in here so I could find out how the weekend went for you all. Sorry to hear about your DNF, but glad you had a good time regardless. I'll be at the HH and 5K meetups for Princess and hope to see you there!
We don’t have anyone joining us that trip, so we should finally be able to get to the HH meetup if it’s on Saturday. We‘ll be driving down that morning, since I’m not doing the other races. Is the day for HH set yet?

SAFD:
I've had a lot of fun planning out our 2022 races!
February: local 10k
February: local 5k with kids
April: local 10k
May: local half marathon
June: local half marathon with DD
July: local 5k with kids
September: Air Force half marathon
October: Hot Chocolate 5k with kids
October: Purdue half marathon
November: W&D challenge

I'm sure I'll sneak some more local races in cause it's what I do. :-)

Good Morning runDisney All Stars!

For our first SAFD in 2022 I am going to use a question that was suggested by @Novatrix.

What races are you planning to run this year?

In for the Chicago Marathon in October.
Fingers crossed for lottery into DC Cherry Blossom 10M in April (if not, Queens Half). Do people meet up for common races outside of rD events?
For anyone running the NYC Full or Half Marathons, I'll definitely be out cheering and can arrange to hand off fuel/hydration mid-race if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter