Marathon Weekend 2023

Thank you so much to @Baloo in MI for taking over SAFD! Lee left some large shoes to fill (literally, and figuratively), but the board community wouldn't be the same without these weekly check-ins, so thank you for stepping in!

My race calendar is pretty packed this year, as I find races a great motivator for maintaining training. I'm hoping to eventually complete a race in all 50 states, so hopefully CA and HI will be completed this year. :)

-Fairytale Princess Challenge at Disney in Feb
-April Fools Half in NJ in April (my annual half POT attempt race)
-Broad Street 10 Miler in May (as long as I win the lottery)
- Mountain 2 Beach Marathon in CA end of May
-Kauai Half Marathon in HI in Sept
-Marine Corps Marathon in DC in Oct (deferral from 2020)

Depending on how training is going as we get closer to November, I might also sign up for the half or full for the Philly marathon. Pretty much counting on losing the lottery for NYC again this year, but hope lives eternal so maybe I'll luck out.

I plan on registering for the Detroit international Half in October

I’d never heard of the Detroit International Half - might be a good choice for me for a half this fall.

I have never run the Half at Detroit but I have run the full. It is a great race! Good expo, well organized and pretty fast. Plus the run over the bridge into Canada and then back into the US via the tunnel was so fun!

Thank you so much to @Baloo in MI for taking over SAFD! Lee left some large shoes to fill (literally, and figuratively), but the board community wouldn't be the same without these weekly check-ins, so thank you for stepping in!

My race calendar is pretty packed this year, as I find races a great motivator for maintaining training. I'm hoping to eventually complete a race in all 50 states, so hopefully CA and HI will be completed this year. :)

Depending on how training is going as we get closer to November, I might also sign up for the half or full for the Philly marathon. Pretty much counting on losing the lottery for NYC again this year, but hope lives eternal so maybe I'll luck out.

Ooh. April Fools Half in NJ sounds much more fun than Queens. How do you like the race?
Also (pie in the sky) dreaming of all 50 states! (only 6 down so far though so unlikely to realize)

Kauai Half - now that is one I need to think about….

SAFD:

Currently signed up for Rock and Roll Las Vegas next month. This was actually planned well before we knew Marathon Weekend was a go. Currently working out logistics and whether a trip to Vegas (I’ve never been) is the best idea right now.

Other than that, not sure. I’ll probably try to sign up for something in the late spring and late summer but haven’t targeted any races yet.

SAFD: I only had a few races planned, but horse shows are getting in the way 😭 Every race I look at there’s some horse event for my daughter the same weekend.

Feb: Princess Challenge - have to skip because horse show
March: Best Damn 10K - have to skip because of horse show
March/April: Springtime Surprise Challenge
October: Chicago Marathon
November: Space Coast Half (maybe)

SAFD:

Currently signed up for Rock and Roll Las Vegas next month. This was actually planned well before we knew Marathon Weekend was a go. Currently working out logistics and whether a trip to Vegas (I’ve never been) is the best idea right now.

Other than that, not sure. I’ll probably try to sign up for something in the late spring and late summer but haven’t targeted any races yet.
I was thinking about doing this, and even if it doesn’t happen this year it’ll be on my wishlist. As it stands, after Dopey I’ve been taking it easy and it’s prob better for my wallet if I take a pass this year.

Other than that, I had been signed up for the Brooklyn half way back in 2020 and I’m optimistic that it’ll finally happen this year. I’ve also qualified to run the NYC full. So… big year for NYC races.

Has anyone that booked for next MW already done so at an All-Star resort? Can you tell me what price per-night looks like? I don't need it exact...just like $170-180 or whatever it is. I made myself a lovely spreadsheet for renting DVC points, but unless I find a smoking hot deal on points (like I was able to for this year) for a 1br because KITCHEN and IN-ROOM LAUNDRY, I feel like a studio offers the same amenities as a value resort room. And having a plan and numbers makes me feel better when I start selling DH on a trip.

Note for @Herding_Cats when making comparisons -- the DVC studios all have kitchenettes, and the Polynesian studios have an extra partial bathroom (shower and sink/mirror). DVC resorts also have a laundry room for studio guests. (IIRC you do pay to use the machines.)

SAFD: These are the races I've signed up for so far.

March: NYC HM (Not sure I am going as I'm still dealing with an injury.)
March / April: Springtime Surprise Challenge
May: Sporting Life 10k (Toronto)
October: Chicago Marathon
November: NYC Marathon

Planning to sign up for some local 10k's and HM's in May / June.

Note for @Herding_Cats when making comparisons -- the DVC studios all have kitchenettes, and the Polynesian studios have an extra partial bathroom (shower and sink/mirror). DVC resorts also have a laundry room for studio guests. (IIRC you do pay to use the machines.)
The usefulness of a microwave in a DVC stuido shouldn't be discounted, I agree. But I like not having to carry my dirty clothes through the resort to wash them. Basically, if the savings is enough over renting points for a studio, I would absolutely stay at a value resort. But if it's less than around $200, then the parking fees come into play (assuming we rent a car.) Ugh. DH doesn't even want to THINK about a trip back right now. And here I am pricing it out like it's a done-deal. :rotfl2:

SAFD Part 2 - Someone's post reminded me of one more goal - to run our local Turkey Trot HEALTHY!! I've done it twice so far and both times I was under limitations from my physical therapist. This past year I couldn't do it at all because of my foot pain. It's a fun event that I'd like to be able to participate in to its fullest.

I did my post-race follow up with my PT today and I'm out of running for one more week. I feel pretty good, but he wants to be cautious. Time to make friends with bike again! (Ugh!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter