Marathon Weekend 2023

The person I am planning on doing the Half Marathon with is working tomorrow and won't be able to register until her first break (which will be around noon). Would I be able to register for her? And if not, does the Half normally sell out quickly?

The person I am planning on doing the Half Marathon with is working tomorrow and won't be able to register until her first break (which will be around noon). Would I be able to register for her? And if not, does the Half normally sell out quickly?
You can register multiple people. It will ask you if you want to add another registration at the end.

I'm seriously debating about what to register for tomorrow...

I've done Dopey three times (2018, 2020, 2022) and have never done a standalone marathon. After completing this year's Dopey in what was a performance I was very happy with, I decided that I'd like to do "just" the marathon next year to see how good I can do. Flying down on Saturday, racing on Sunday and heading back home on Monday would also minimize the cost and vacation days needed compared to Dopey.

My wife -- who recently started on a new weight loss journey -- has said she would really like to do the 10K. It would provide her some motivation, plus we both really like the theming of this year's races. She's recommending we go down on Thursday, she does the 10K and then I do the marathon on Sunday. I feel like if I'm arriving on Thursday, we might as well just come Wednesday and do Dopey. Dopey is A LOT of fun and I really enjoy it.

I'll let everyone know what the final call is tomorrow. It might even be a registration-time decision!

I'm playing a fun game today.
Am I anxious because:
a) I'm signing up for Dopey tomorrow
b) I'm spending $$ on race registrations tomorrow
c) both of the above
d) I'm just really excited and am misreading it as anxiety.
D) Since I am "only" doing the marathon it seems like it takes a while to sell out so I should be safe. I am just super excited!! Especially since I was watching Boston marathon this morning, I am just soo ready to become a marathoner too.

SAFD- I used to be an unpack right away person but I’ve gotten lazy in my old age. Especially if I just took a trip to a different climate and don’t need the clothes right away. One way I make my trip last longer is to make a photo book in Shutterfly or something. It’s fun to design and look at all the pics again. And like others I start planning the next adventure asap.

Same! I love making picture books after my trip, makes memories resurface

Yes! Photo books are so fun. I've been loving Mixbook - they have some pretty sleek minimalist designs, so great for park landscape photography!

SAFD: I hate visual clutter, so I unpack and put things away ASAP. I’m usually so over-Disneyed and tired by the time I get home, I only want to sit quietly and nap lol! I find the sights, sounds, and socializing of race trips draining - albeit fun - and really need down time to recover.

I'm planning on trying to register for my first Dopey tomorrow. This board has been super helpful with registration tips and I appreciate that very much!

I do have one question--I'd like to lock down a room at a WDW Resort along with some tickets and all that good stuff. The web site doesn't appear to currently be offering January 2023 as an option for booking--what's the best way to handle that? Should I just call them and speak to a human or book for the latest day possible (12/31/2022) and then change it in a few months?

I'm planning on trying to register for my first Dopey tomorrow. This board has been super helpful with registration tips and I appreciate that very much!

I do have one question--I'd like to lock down a room at a WDW Resort along with some tickets and all that good stuff. The web site doesn't appear to currently be offering January 2023 as an option for booking--what's the best way to handle that? Should I just call them and speak to a human or book for the latest day possible (12/31/2022) and then change it in a few months?
You can call and book a room right now, but packages won't be available to book for a few more weeks or months! The room prices will not change, but if you are nervous about a certain location filling up you could go ahead and call now. You will have to cancel and rebook as a package when they are released :)

SAFD:

Good morning, and Happy Easter for those who celebrate it! It is time for today’s Sundays Are For Disney Question:

When you get home from a trip to Disney do you unpack and move on quickly or do you draw out the trip in some way or another once you are home? If so, what do you do?

My Answer: I start mourning the end of a Disney trip when I am still in the parks! So when I get home I do try to hold onto the trip. I tend to be the last in my family to take off my wristband. I usually bring home some type of treat (or two…) to snack on. But for me the most important thing I do is make sure I have another trip planned or at least on the calendar. Oh, and I start our ”going to Disney in ___ days” countdown. We are currently at 55 days to our trip to Disneyland!

SAFD: I hating leaving and I am lazy... so it takes a long time for me to unpacked. I need another trip to make me feel better. Doing reviews help me feel better to help re live the trip.

New to posting in the forums and cannot decide which race to register for tomorrow (between the half and full). I've been lurking and reading all the great advice here since last fall though :) I've run 4 halfs (including W&D 2021) and have had an "itch" to try for a full at some point, though I am not confident that I can (mentally) do the long training runs. Doing the actual race excites me because of the energy on the course, but solo training runs for 15-20 miles sounds daunting. I also worry about injury, as I have had some knee aches in prior races, but this last half was mostly pain-free. I'm really torn! Based on my half time, I think my full time would be around 4:45-5 hrs.

New to posting in the forums and cannot decide which race to register for tomorrow (between the half and full). I've been lurking and reading all the great advice here since last fall though :) I've run 4 halfs (including W&D 2021) and have had an "itch" to try for a full at some point, though I am not confident that I can (mentally) do the long training runs. Doing the actual race excites me because of the energy on the course, but solo training runs for 15-20 miles sounds daunting. I also worry about injury, as I have had some knee aches in prior races, but this last half was mostly pain-free. I'm really torn! Based on my half time, I think my full time would be around 4:45-5 hrs.

You might want to reach out to @DopeyBadger on these forums to see if one of his custom marathon training plans would be a good fit for you. His plans are, at heart, time-based rather than distance-based which can result in more manageable long training run mileages. For example, I train at basically a 4:00 marathon pace and my longest runs top out at 16 miles. At your estimated pace, you'd likely be under 15 miles for a maximum long training run. I'll let him get into more of the specifics if you choose to explore that route, though.

Assuming your HM time is around a 2:24 HM, then I'd put your long run pace around 12:30 min/mile if continuous and 13:30 min/mile if using run/walk. With a continuous duration limit of 2.5 hrs, the 12:30 min/mile would be maximally 12 miles. With a run/walk duration limit of 3 hrs, the 13:30 min/mile would be maximally 13.3 miles or so. Ideally your peak week ends up somewhere above 6 hours total. I prefer to see no more than 30% of the weekly mileage in the LR. I've done a higher %, but I get more iffy the higher we go. But ultimately based on your estimated pace, I'm fairly confident you wouldn't need to be 15-20 mile training runs to comfortably complete the marathon as long as you're willing to do about 4-5 hrs total during any of the other six days per week (keeping in mind you don't actually need to do 6-7 days per week). Ideally no less than five days per week, although I've done four days per week total on a few occasions with success.

Stuck on what to register for. I will do 5 and 10, it just depends on in person or virtual. Do I do
A: 5 in person, AND 10 in person
B: 5 in person, 10 virtual
C:10 in person, 5 virtual

Considerations:
I know I can do a 10k as I’ve done it before, but it was hard because it was by my self. So doing 10k in person would allow me to actually be motivated.
My first Disney 10 will be wine and dine
It might be cold. I cannot run in cold without wearing a mask.
Disney 5ks always make me really tired. Adding a 10 might be worse. On the other hand, I notice I’m tired because I’m always checking out that day or going to parks so sleeping non stop might remove that hazard.
I may actually have running stamina by that time?? Who knows.
Marathon weekend is big. And crowded. Do I want to deal with 2 races of that
This is my first marathon weekend and 5th rundisney.

I realize the decision might be made by the queue tomorrow, but which one should I plan on registering for?
I’ve been going round and round in this for hours

Last edited:
Stuck on what to register for. I will do 5 and 10, it just depends on in person or virtual. Do I do
A: 5 in person, AND 10 in person
B: 5 in person, 10 virtual
C:10 in person, 5 virtual

Considerations:
I know I can do a 10k as I’ve done it before, but it was hard because it was by my self. So doing 10k in person would allow me to actually be motivated.
It might be cold. I cannot run in cold without wearing a mask.
Disney 5ks always make me really tired. Adding a 10 might be worse. On the other hand, I notice I’m tired because I’m always checking out that day or going to parks so sleeping non stop might remove that hazard.
I may actually have running stamina by that time?? Who knows.
Marathon weekend is big. And crowded. Do I want to deal with 2 races of that

I realize the decision might be made by the queue tomorrow, but which one should I plan on registering for?
I’ve been going round and round in this for hours
I have FOMO issues, so if I was going to be present in WDW for a race weekend, I would participate in every in-person race I was physically capable of completing.

If I absolutely had to choose between the 5K and the 10K for MW, I would choose the 10K this year because of Chip & Dale. If it was still Oswald, I’d choose the 5K.

I have FOMO issues, so if I was going to be present in WDW for a race weekend, I would participate in every in-person race I was physically capable of completing.

If I absolutely had to choose between the 5K and the 10K for MW, I would choose the 10K this year because of Chip & Dale. If it was still Oswald, I’d choose the 5K.
The thing is I actually liked Oswald and feel meh about chip and dale. But no matter what, I am doing both 5 and 10, I’m not sure about location (virtual vs in person) Thank you!

Hi everyone - I am planning on registering me and my husband for the 5K. Problem is, we live in Australia and 10am Orlando time is midnight our time. Will I need to set an alarm to register before it sells out, or will I be ok to wait until 6am our time (4pm Orlando) to register? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone - I am planning on registering me and my husband for the 5K. Problem is, we live in Australia and 10am Orlando time is midnight our time. Will I need to set an alarm to register before it sells out, or will I be ok to wait until 6am our time (4pm Orlando) to register? Thanks in advance!
You will need to set an alarm. 5k sells out quickest.

Chances are very, very, VERY good it would be sold out by that time. And you actually wanted to be logged in before 10 am Eastern Time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter