Marathon Weekend 2025

For those of you who have run the marathon before, what's the best park to visit after the race? I would assume Epcot, but I also assume that's where everyone goes.
By the time I’ve been done with running, recovery, a nap, and re-fueling, it’s always been around dinner time before I was willing to go anywhere. The destination has been MK, DHS, Disney Springs, EP at various times, but my favorite post-marathon destination was… staying put at my resort! Really - for me, easy access to food and drink followed by the comfort of PJs and bed VASTLY trumped more walking and rushing to get to a park/ADR/rides, etc. The last 2 marathons I ran, I skipped any parks day-of and hit MK the next day for medal pics. That was ideal!

For those of you who have run the marathon before, what's the best park to visit after the race? I would assume Epcot, but I also assume that's where everyone goes.

Epcot. After my last full I went from the finish to the car to towel off and change and then I went open to close at Epcot. I liked seeing the rest of the runners finish and there were so many marathon and challenge runners in the park all day.

All the extra walking helped me recover. By noon I didn't feel like I had even just run my marathon PR and the following day I felt great going to the airport.

Last edited:
I’ve done Epcot post marathon the past 3 years for this exact reason! Thinking about nachos and a margarita keep me going those last few miles 😂 I haven’t found it to be too busy any of the years. No issues getting food/drinks/photos. This year I stayed to cheer until the end of the marathon, then went back to hotel to shower, and then back to Epcot, so I got there a little later. The previous 2 years, I went back to hotel immediately after finishing, showered, and got back to Epcot while the marathon was still going on. It’s my plan for next year too!
What a dream! I also daydream about what I'm going to eat after long runs 😆 after about 18 miles, I start hallucinating croissants around every corner :p

What a dream! I also daydream about what I'm going to eat after long runs 😆 after about 18 miles, I start hallucinating croissants around every corner :p
The thing about Disney races is that if the park is open while you‘re running, there is food (and drinks) around every corner.

I’m already thinking about what I might be able to grab on the way through Epcot to have in my hand(s) as I cross the finish line of my first Dopey 😋😋

Fueling question for marathon…do you wear a hydration vest and carry your fuel or do you use something else? Do you rely on water stops? Wondering with costumes best way to handle. Plus I’m getting ready for my 3rd marathon and I’m wanting to ditch the hydration pack and carry my gels in pockets and maybe use their water stops.

Fueling question for marathon…do you wear a hydration vest and carry your fuel or do you use something else? Do you rely on water stops? Wondering with costumes best way to handle. Plus I’m getting ready for my 3rd marathon and I’m wanting to ditch the hydration pack and carry my gels in pockets and maybe use their water stops.

I carried fuel in a belt, but took liquids at the hydration stops. It worked pretty well! I had to keep in mind where the hydration stops were since I prefer to take my fuel just before drinking, rather than vice versus, but it was manageable. There were plenty of water stops.

I'd suggest taking a look at the course map, if available, to see how frequent the water stops are and use that info to decide if you need to have your hydration vest along.

Personally, I never carry my own water for road races of marathon length or shorter. I haven't run across one yet that didn't provide more than adequate support. As far as fueling goes, I always carry my own on course. That way I have no concerns over whether a race's chosen fuel will interact badly with my stomach.

I carry a handheld with liquid iv in it and use the water stops for water. My handheld has pockets so I use that as well and my shorts/tights pockets for fuel.

You'll definitely want to carry your fuel with you - there's not enough provided on course to get you through a marathon, though you could use the bananas and Sports Beans to supplement what you bring. However, there's typically plenty of water/Powerade available, so as @Cabius said, if you're strategic about when you take your fuel, you shouldn't have to bring hydration unless there's something specific you need.

Fueling question for marathon…do you wear a hydration vest and carry your fuel or do you use something else? Do you rely on water stops?

I carry my hydration with me for a few reasons - 1) I am a sipper. I find that little bits of water more frequently works best for me, 2) I use Tailwind and mixing that on the fly isn't easy, and 3) if it is warm out, my water bottles can also be used as a way to cool down.

I have a Nathan hydration belt that carries two water bottles that I can refill and a small pouch that give me a place to carry my fuel.

I probably wouldn't make my way back to Epcot until like 11:30-noon that day!
Just be aware that the marathon ends around 1pm usually, as the last runners usually start around 5:45-6:00 am and have 7 hours to finish.

I finished around noon and I could see crowds of people everywhere around the runner lanes not being able to move freely. I wouldn't go into Epcot before the race was finished honestly.

Just be aware that the marathon ends around 1pm usually, as the last runners usually start around 5:45-6:00 am and have 7 hours to finish.

I finished around noon and I could see crowds of people everywhere around the runner lanes not being able to move freely. I wouldn't go into Epcot before the race was finished honestly.
On the other hand, this past MW I headed to Epcot mid-morning specifically to cheer on marathoners and had a great time! It just depends what you're planning to do 😊

I carry a handheld with liquid iv in it and use the water stops for water. My handheld has pockets so I use that as well and my shorts/tights pockets for fuel.
This is what I’m leaning towards. My vest really annoyed me on my last 20 mile training run. I ordered a handheld to try on my next run. Also, I love using liquid iv.

Pockets for fuel, usually stop for water in addition to that. I've picked up running tights that have pockets so I don't have any issues with the fuel flopping around my thigh. I think a lot of this is preference, some people use fuel belts and I have one but have never used it for longer runs, just worry that it'll be uncomfortable and cause issues for me.

Never used a full vest for these sorts of races, feel like the weight would be more of a problem. I've used them for obstacle course races because there tend to be fewer stops for those and there's less emphasis on running those races.

You'll definitely want to carry your fuel with you - there's not enough provided on course to get you through a marathon, though you could use the bananas and Sports Beans to supplement what you bring. However, there's typically plenty of water/Powerade available, so as @Cabius said, if you're strategic about when you take your fuel, you shouldn't have to bring hydration unless there's something specific you need.
I did not bring my own water but decided to bring salt tabs for electrolytes as the Powerade does not agree with me (mainly my tastebuds). I felt that the water stops were frequent enough and it was nice to not have to carry my water bottle the whole time. Just make sure that when you have the fuel you schedule it around the water stops to ensure you take enough liquid for them to absorb properly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter