Marathon Weekend 2025

I’m curious that no one has mentioned Mission Space. It’s a centrifuge that spins your body in one direction while you watch a video showing you move in another direction. Most motion sickness is caused by the movement of the body, balance of the inner ear, and signals from the eye all sending conflicting signals to the brain. That’s why reading in a car (your body senses it’s moving while your eyes perceive a static page) can make people feel sick. The 2011 Wine and Dine afterparty was especially fun because it happened right after the half and you got a free beer. Nothing like alcohol + 13.1 miles + centrifuges to have a horrific scene at Mission Space.
Oh, Mission Space Orange is an obvious puke machine. I would die. 🤣

I’m curious that no one has mentioned Mission Space. It’s a centrifuge that spins your body in one direction while you watch a video showing you move in another direction. Most motion sickness is caused by the movement of the body, balance of the inner ear, and signals from the eye all sending conflicting signals to the brain. That’s why reading in a car (your body senses it’s moving while your eyes perceive a static page) can make people feel sick. The 2011 Wine and Dine afterparty was especially fun because it happened right after the half and you got a free beer. Nothing like alcohol + 13.1 miles + centrifuges to have a horrific scene at Mission Space.

I didn't mention it because I won't go on it. 😂😂

My brother and I went on it after my first marathon in 2013. I've been to Disney six times since that trip and never felt the need to get back on it.

For those that registered recently using the "new" system can you tell us if it is much different than before. I guess I'm asking about the recent virtual registration because it looked to be slightly different visually and I'm curious if it still allowed you to copy/paste the queue links or not?

I ask because I was either thinking of making a post or maybe making a reminder here prior to the general registration about day of registration. I would like us to help each other out like we've been doing in the past - which is by sharing links. In all honesty I wish I had the time because I would have made a website of some sort to host and share links during actual registration, but I'm exhausted with work, etc and hence no time.

Anyway, what I would like is to ask if you have a extra windows open and have links which have a countdown on them, then please copy/paste them here and tell people how much time so that others can use them. This registration process is stressful enough so I hope we can help each other. Good luck to all and Thanks.

Besides the full-marathon, how would you guys compare the HM for this weekend compared to W&D? Is the energy and buzz just more overall (and crowds, too I assume) based on the excitement for the full-marathon? Never done a marathon weekend, but W&D is enjoyable.

Worth it to do both HM's? I'm already registered for W&D.

Besides the full-marathon, how would you guys compare the HM for this weekend compared to W&D? Is the energy and buzz just more overall (and crowds, too I assume) based on the excitement for the full-marathon? Never done a marathon weekend, but W&D is enjoyable.

The MW half definitely has a different vibe than W&D, and those are usually the two race events I do each year now that Star Wars is gone. The half courses are different, with MW using the same course as Princess. A lot of people I know who are back of the pack like the MW half because you get to run down Mainstreet USA in the dark with people cheering for you, while the sun is usually up for them by this time during the full. The energy is difficult to describe, because for many people the MW half is in the middle of a challenge race, so it doesn’t seem to have the same celebratory vibe W&D has. I know that on day 3 of 2 am wake ups with the marathon looming, the half is definitely a get through this and don’t hurt yourself run.

For those that registered recently using the "new" system can you tell us if it is much different than before. I guess I'm asking about the recent virtual registration because it looked to be slightly different visually and I'm curious if it still allowed you to copy/paste the queue links or not?

I ask because I was either thinking of making a post or maybe making a reminder here prior to the general registration about day of registration. I would like us to help each other out like we've been doing in the past - which is by sharing links. In all honesty I wish I had the time because I would have made a website of some sort to host and share links during actual registration, but I'm exhausted with work, etc and hence no time.

Anyway, what I would like is to ask if you have a extra windows open and have links which have a countdown on them, then please copy/paste them here and tell people how much time so that others can use them. This registration process is stressful enough so I hope we can help each other. Good luck to all and Thanks.

There is a post about registration Registration run-down with images unless you mean something different.

Also, re: posting links I think recent experience has shown that DM'ing a link to a person works better. Links can only be used once, and if multiple people use the same posted link then only one will get through. And if I recall correctly, you won't know it's valid til it's theoretically "your turn". So if someone posted a link with 20 minutes on it, you would not know it was a "bad" link til 20 minutes later when it was time to go into the "registration room"

People have been posting that they have links and asking someone to DM them, then updating the post that it's been claimed (usually).

I know it doesn't help with your question right now, but I was planning to have a "share your registration tips and tricks" Sundays are for Disney question the weekend before registration.

I’ve been looking at getting my room booked. I’m leaning on All Star Music suites since 3 Q, 2 Bath and the price is great.
But the new cabins at Fort Wilderness are available to book for non DVC.
So, I’m curious, has anyone stayed at Fort Wilderness during MW?
I’ll have my DH, DS (16) and DD (13) in tow. Trying to think of options for them to stay entertained without going into a park. Not sure how many days I want to visit parks if I’m going for Dopey.
I’ve tried to look for info, but thought there might be some veterans here that has stayed there before.

I think some of your enjoyment will depend on how much running/racing experience you have and what your running events have been. Some people in the RunDisney community 'only' do Disney races, then if they do another race they wonder where all the pomp and circumstance is. All that to say the Marathon weekend half (and Princess) is a largely known quantity.... Miles of road to MK then miles of road back to Epcot. If you're ok with twelve miles of an out and back for one in the most magical place on earth then you'll have a ball.

I’ll vote for yes, it’s worth doing both. Very different vibe though you may be on to something, it may because of the full and dopey, but that energy is throughout the week from expo to the Monday after. You can also choose to race how you want to making each weekend a completely different experience. Myself, I try to race wine and dine half for a PR/POT and then since I run Dopey, the MW weekend half is a slow pace enjoying all that the races have to offer for entertainment.

Also, it’s a great reason to head to Florida in winter…

Thanks for sharing this article! I was having some second thoughts about doing the marathon-- my fall is going to be pretty busy and I am not looking forward to the time commitment training for the marathon is-- but this was a good reminder of why I love rD! Even if some of it is our brains tricking us :P I had no idea they handed out kleenex by the castle; I imagine I'll be needing it!

I will say that I am very grateful for the links that people have shared during registration the past couple of years. It really was the reason I was able to get in for Dopey the past two years and also register my neighbor last year. I am hoping people will graciously share again this year. I am really nervous about getting through for 2025 since this past year's MW pretty much sucked for me. So hoping to get in for Dopey again for that "revenge tour" MW.

Last edited:
A lot of people I know who are back of the pack like the MW half because you get to run down Mainstreet USA in the dark with people cheering for you, while the sun is usually up for them by this time during the full.
^^^THIS^^^

So, I’m curious, has anyone stayed at Fort Wilderness during MW?
I'm sure there are others but I know @Bree has stayed at the campground for at least a few MWs. Tagging her so she can pop in with info.

I’ve never tried Orange because I have no idea if that kind of spinning will induce a migraine the way Tea Cups did - and I’m not that into M:S to start, so there’s no incentive to find out, lol! But I’ve never had any issues with Green - my assumption is that Green does not spin at all, right?

Funny - some friends and I had a deep conversation about MW vs. other race weekends not long ago! I’ve done them all multiple times over the past decade + and always find the energy of MW to be really different. It’s simply bigger than the other weekends, to start - more people running, more runners + families in the parks, more attention paid to the event across WDW. It’s a more intensely running-focused, if that makes sense. Apart rom Princess, which has its own… let’s call it “unique”… vibe, the other weekends are so much more chill in comparison. The overall feel is more relaxed and less running-focused.

There was a time when I preferred MW for its higher intensity vibe, but I closed out this year’s weekend feeling like I’m ready to take a break from it. Just where I am in life and with running: the more low-key race weekends are more appealing to me.

Speaking strictly of HMs, the courses are also very different for W&D vs. MW. After doing it a bunch of times via WDW Halfs and Marathons, plus PHMs, I’m kinda over the whole World Dr-MK thing, but for a long time, that was a big appeal of MW. There’s definitely value in doing both because they’re so different!

:offtopic: But since we’ve been discussing rides… I’m heading back to Universal for the first time in many years and wondering about Velocicoaster. Am I too old for this now?! I’m still good on RnR, but Hulk was pretty awful years ago, and for those familiar with Bush Gardens, it turns out Kumba is nowhere near as fun now as it was when I was 20 :rotfl:: I’m good with drops and inversions, but bad with rough rides. I’m assuming with its newness, Veloci must surely be pretty smooth, though, no??

I’ve never tried Orange because I have no idea if that kind of spinning will induce a migraine the way Tea Cups did - and I’m not that into M:S to start, so there’s no incentive to find out, lol! But I’ve never had any issues with Green - my assumption is that Green does not spin at all, right?

Funny - some friends and I had a deep conversation about MW vs. other race weekends not long ago! I’ve done them all multiple times over the past decade + and always find the energy of MW to be really different. It’s simply bigger than the other weekends, to start - more people running, more runners + families in the parks, more attention paid to the event across WDW. It’s a more intensely running-focused, if that makes sense. Apart rom Princess, which has its own… let’s call it “unique”… vibe, the other weekends are so much more chill in comparison. The overall feel is more relaxed and less running-focused.

There was a time when I preferred MW for its higher intensity vibe, but I closed out this year’s weekend feeling like I’m ready to take a break from it. Just where I am in life and with running: the more low-key race weekends are more appealing to me.

Speaking strictly of HMs, the courses are also very different for W&D vs. MW. After doing it a bunch of times via WDW Halfs and Marathons, plus PHMs, I’m kinda over the whole World Dr-MK thing, but for a long time, that was a big appeal of MW. There’s definitely value in doing both because they’re so different!
The way I've always described the difference between MW and the other race weekends is that MW feels like a running event with a bit of Disney theming while the other weekends felt more like a Disney-themed party with some running included.

Actually it does from what I understand, just not as fast. The thing with MS is most don’t even realize they are spinning. The entire capsule is attached to a centrifuge to pull ‘G’s while you are focused on the screen. The capsule can be slowed and or rocked to trick your brain into “seeing” what you think you are seeing. In reality you are just on a giant merry go round. I’ve been told different numbers by different cast members but the general consensus is orange pulls 1.5-2 Gs and green is only 1 so not much different than driving a car around a corner. Close your eyes on either one though and you’ll feel it in a hurry. My daughter and I love to close eyes/turn heads and then try to get orientation back - we are lucky enough to not be bothered by crazy motions.

Last edited:
:offtopic: But since we’ve been discussing rides… I’m heading back to Universal for the first time in many years and wondering about Velocicoaster. Am I too old for this now?! I’m still good on RnR, but Hulk was pretty awful years ago, and for those familiar with Bush Gardens, it turns out Kumba is nowhere near as fun now as it was when I was 20 :rotfl:: I’m good with drops and inversions, but bad with rough rides. I’m assuming with its newness, Veloci must surely be pretty smooth, though, no??
As I’ve gotten older some roller coasters start to make me a little more nauseous than they used to.
I road Velocicoaster a couple years ago, and although it didn’t make me nauseous, it caused intense pain/pressure in my head that I will probably never ride it again.

Haven’t tried UO yet but hit all the coasters at SeaWorld this past year. Wow! Love the insane G forces and thrills as something different but still really enjoy a theme park over an amusement park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter