~~~ May 16, 2009 ~~~ Western Magic ~~~

Hi - I am a novice at this - where/how can I view the update you are referring to? My mother and father-in-law are in Florida and she is a Dis'er (she was here this weekend and I had to pull her away from the computer). My brother-in-law and his family are from AR. Here are my answers to your quiz:

1. How many times have you been on DCL? Where to and when?

Never - Brother-in-law family have been once. Huge Dis fans - got married there and have vacation club points as wel

2. What are you looking forward to on this cruise?

Seeing my kids' faces light up each and every moment they see something new...

3. What are your kids (if any) looking forward to on this cruise?

4. If you've cruised before, what is your favorite food on DCL? If you haven't cruised before, what are you excited to try (if you've looked over the menus already--like I did before our first one!)?

we eat just about everything, so we are looking forward to trying a bit of everything!

5. What would your "dream" DCL vacation be?

Having my side of the family join us all together on a DLC!

Hi - I am a novice at this - where/how can I view the update you are referring to? My mother and father-in-law are in Florida and she is a Dis'er (she was here this weekend and I had to pull her away from the computer).
It's the very first post to this thread on page 1. :thumbsup2

Yeah, the only thing about the DIS boards is that it is SOOOO addicting!!! :rotfl: I've spent many nights staying up waaaaaaaay too late just to see if there's any info that I've missed. :disrocks:

Great answers, too! Seeing the kids' faces is probably the best thing of all! Although I think the fireworks made my face light up more than ANY kid who was on the ship. :blush: And if you really want that "dream" vacation to come true, rebook while you're onboard!!! That's what we did for this one with my parents. We booked a "dummy date" until the 2009 dates came out and then transferred both reservations to this one. We paid their deposit (they paid us back when we got home), and they still got the 10% discount even though this will be their first DCL cruise.

Hi Hudson5&Lennon3!Please consider the stingray excursion on CC. My kids loved it! It is right on the shore line, so the water is not deep at all. My boys were 5 and 7 and they had a blast. As you may remember, they are both autistic and are not comfortable trying new things. I thought for sure that they would not want to do this. Instead, they had a great time and were not frightened at all. When my 5 year old got tired, I took him to the sand and we relaxed while DH and ds 7 snorkled. It was only an hour long, so it didn't take too much time at all.

I think the stingrays on CC would be much better than the ones on GC--for our kids anyway. We have also talked about doing the bike tour on CC, so we'll see how much time we actually have to do everything (gotta fit some beach time in there, too!). I really wish this was a DDip cruise (although I would then miss out on the frozen chocolate-dipped key lime pie on a stick at KW!!!!! THAT WOULD BE TRAGIC!!!). We loved CC so much that we could definitely spend two days there and would probably still not "do it all."

1. How many times have you been on DCL? Where to and when? We haven't sailed DCL before, but I've been on Carnival 3 times.

2. What are you looking forward to on this cruise? Sitting on the balcony and looking at the vast ocean.

3. What are your kids (if any) looking forward to on this cruise? It hasn't "sank in" what we are doing yet. I know that they want to swim with the dolphins.

4. If you've cruised before, what is your favorite food on DCL? If you haven't cruised before, what are you excited to try (if you've looked over the menus already--like I did before our first one!)? Each and every dessert! Maybe twice!! My hubby may have to borrow a wheel barrow to get me off the ship!!

5. What would your "dream" DCL vacation be? Complete solitude w/hubby in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora. Naaaaw......We would miss the kids too much, how about a Disney cruise!:woohoo:

Hi all - on my last cruise (way back in the days when I was a swinging single...too long ago to remember), I only got off in port once. I am not a big shopper, and none of the excursions really appealed to me. If we stay on board as a family while th ship is in port, will there be activities for the kids? Do the kids' programs still run when the boat is in port? I have to admit, I am looking forward to relaxing on a half-empty ship and hopefully be able to keep the kids entertained as well. ;) :beach:

Thanks

Hi all - on my last cruise (way back in the days when I was a swinging single...too long ago to remember), I only got off in port once. I am not a big shopper, and none of the excursions really appealed to me. If we stay on board as a family while th ship is in port, will there be activities for the kids? Do the kids' programs still run when the boat is in port? I have to admit, I am looking forward to relaxing on a half-empty ship and hopefully be able to keep the kids entertained as well. ;) :beach:

Thanks

Yes, the kids activities are still going on during port times. The pools are definitely less crowded while in port, too, which is what we're looking forward to. Last time, we were on KW just for a couple hours, and the boys kept insisting on going back to swim, so we did, and it was nice to not fight the crowds then. This time, we're planning on staying on KW just a little longer to try and make up for what we missed out on last time, but we'll probably stay onboard for GC & Coz. I was going to say that the kids' clubs would probably be less busy also, but I know some people (NOT ME!) leave their kids there while they go ashore, but it still wouldn't be as busy as sea days. Leaving them onboard while going ashore just scares the daylights out of me since the pagers aren't guaranteed to work off the ship, so if something happens to your child, you may not get the page. Or just as bad would be if something happened to you in port and didn't make it back onboard, then your kids are on it without you! :scared1:

I guess the "short" answer to your question is that there are activities for kids, families, and adults, too, almost nonstop all day every day whether it's a sea day or port day. I believe around midnight or 1 AM is when the kids areas close, but then they're open again by around 9 AM (I think). Have you checked out the Navigators that have been scanned and posted? If not, I'll do some checking and post the link of where they're at. I know I printed them out beforehand so I had some sort of idea what each day would have in store and made notes about the things we were wanting to do as a family and also what the kids wanted to do in the clubs. Sometimes, though, they throw a wrench into things and change up the Navigators for just one cruise. I don't think that happens very often, though. Looking over the Navigators beforehand will give you an idea of just how many things are going on at the same time. It's amazing! Unfortunately, it's just not possible to "do it all." :rolleyes:

Here's the link to quite a few Navigators. It looks like the newest Western ones are from December 2007.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm

Thanks - that is helpful. I would never think about leaving the kids on the boat and taking off; however, my in-laws do not intend to do any excursions (my father-in-law uses a walker and wheelchair), so I guess the option is there. I have read about different excusions in the Passporter guide-book and I'm just not that impressed with the reviews, esp. for the price. Given my kids' ages (7 & 8 at the time), I really think they would have more fun staying on board, swimming and having "the run of the place" rather than boarding a bus or taxi and going someplace on land (unless it was simply a beach excursion). Any thoughts? :confused3

ITA! We're there for the Disney cruise experience and not necessarily the excursions. My boys would much rather stay on the boat, so that's what we're going to do this time--although last week, my kindergartener brought home a book about dolphins, and after he read it, they both decided they wanted to pet and/or ride a dolphin! I would LOVE to do the dolphin excursion, but it is pretty expensive, so I'm thinking we might pass on it this time, too. We'll see, though...we do have 1 year, 3 weeks, and 4 days to decide for sure! YAY! It's getting closer!! We were just talking this weekend about how a year ago at that time, we were getting ready for our cruise. Actually, now that I think about it, EXACTLY one year ago right NOW, we had just gotten onboard and were getting Palo reservation changed to our anniversary, and then we headed up to the Mickey pool for eats and swims. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

My boys would love to pet the dolphins, but not swim with them. I wonder how long that excursion is though? They don't really like to get off the boat for too long.

we just put our deposit on our second cruise:banana: there will be 6 of us on this trip we only did a 4 night last time and it just wasnt enough time cant go fast enough

we just put our deposit on our second cruise:banana: there will be 6 of us on this trip we only did a 4 night last time and it just wasnt enough time cant go fast enough

:welcome: TO OUR CRUISE!! Congratultions on your second cruise! I know what you mean about there not being enough time. Even our 7-day cruise a year ago wasn't long enough! Let me know if you want me to add any extra info to the list of cruisers on post #1.

Welcome to the Dis, princessljw! Isee this is only your 3rd post. We were on the 4 night cruise last time also. This will be our first 7 nt. Glad you can join us.:thumbsup2

Well, I just got some frustrating news today. I thought I had the cruise planned out so well with school schedules that Hudson wouldn't miss any school, but I found out today that his last day of 1st grade will be May 20, 2009, instead of May 15th like I thought it would be. Grrrrrr! :mad: So now he'll be missing the last 3-4 days of school. Since this year's last day is May 16th, I just assumed it would be the same general timeframe as that. Bummer! Oh well...it's not like I'm going to reschedule or anything. Besides the next cruises get to be a lot more money!! Sorry for ranting--I just had to vent a little...

our dd13 school never gets out till the first or second week of june but we always take her out of school it excused they say its educational. I dont know how getting pampered on cruise is educational lol.

:welcome: TO OUR CRUISE!! Congratultions on your second cruise! I know what you mean about there not being enough time. Even our 7-day cruise a year ago wasn't long enough! Let me know if you want me to add any extra info to the list of cruisers on post #1.

dw & dh
dd14
mom and dad
dnephew11
pennsylvania

trying to load a ticker seeing if it works

Try doing it again but make sure you cut & paste the link with at the beginning and end of it. It should be the top one that says used on message boards. I think maybe you just cut & paste the wrong one, but I'm not sure. :confused3 [COLOR="Red"]I'm excited to see your ticker! [/COLOR]I LOVE the new ones that have been showing up on the boards, but there's not enough room for one of the Magical Kingdoms tickers and my photos in my sig line, so instead of taking down my photos, I'll settle for a plain-jane ticker...for now anyway.

Looks like you got it going just as I was posting! Way to go! It looks [COLOR="Red"]GREAT [/COLOR]and helps build the excitement, too!

My DS6 came up with a brilliant idea the other day. He asked if his best friend and her family could come with us on our cruise! :yay: I thought I would let her mom know that he had mentioned it, and now they're looking into it!!!! :dance3: We are all really good friends, and their two DD's are the same ages as our DS's. I think they'll be stopping over to our house later today, and if they do, I'll have to give them my DCL DVD & book. That'll hook 'em for sure! :rotfl2: I'm going to give her the scoop about the DIS, so I'm sure she'll become an addict like I am! There's no better place for info on anything Disney! (Terri, I hope to see you on the DIS--and our cruise thread!)

To those who have cruised in the past, is it REALLY TRUE that you can order more than one entree per person at dinner? My family is not being greedy by any means, but we fortunately have children who love everything from chicken fingures to sushi (in fact, they prefer sushi to chicken fingers). I was looking at a menu with my oldest the other night and there were several dishes she wanted to "try" on one menu alone. My mother in law who is coming on the trip told her she could get as much as she wanted - now she is obsessed (no, we do not have an eating disorder just kids with adventurous palates..... ;) ;)

:scratchin

To those who have cruised in the past, is it REALLY TRUE that you can order more than one entree per person at dinner? My family is not being greedy by any means, but we fortunately have children who love everything from chicken fingures to sushi (in fact, they prefer sushi to chicken fingers). I was looking at a menu with my oldest the other night and there were several dishes she wanted to "try" on one menu alone. My mother in law who is coming on the trip told her she could get as much as she wanted - now she is obsessed (no, we do not have an eating disorder just kids with adventurous palates..... ;) ;)

:scratchin

YES, IT'S TRUE! A dream come true! :) We usually had almost all of the desserts every night (I have a sweet tooth :blush: ), and the night after they had rack of lamb on the menu, DH told the head waiter how much he enjoyed it, so he brought out another entree of lamb--on top of what he already ordered from the regular menu for the night! So it's not just that you can have whatever you want, sometimes they surprise you with things you didn't order! :thumbsup2 So if you really like something, mention it to the head waiter, and maybe you'll get it specially made for you the next night.

At least you have adventurous palates in your house..we have the opposite. :sad2: DS6 only eats a certain number of things and is VERY picky about them, although I have to admit that he has gotten MUCH better in the last 2-3 months. He used to only eat cheese pizza, chicken strips, "white chicken with no yucky stuff on it" (seasoning, marinade, etc.), and "pink" steak (he wouldn't eat it if it wasn't rare, which I don't either, so I don't blame him on that one! :laughing: ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter