MCO inspecting candy in carry ons?

Farro

Argh.
So many reports of people who are packing candy - from Halloween party I guess? - in their carry ons and that MCO is now inspecting all of their candy.

Two questions:

Do they at least pull people out of the line to do this - or is the security line even longer because we have to wait while people who brought a bunch (is the amount that triggers search?) of candy in their carry on bags get searched? Did they always inspect candy? I never bring food.

Has this made precheck longer for anyone?

We were hoping to not be at MCO 3 hours early this trip for our Friday morning departure since we have precheck, now I feel we will have to be there that early anyway!

Last edited:
Where do you live? Three hours seems extreme. If not international, two hours is typical.

Where do you live? Three hours seems extreme. If not international, two hours is typical.

Magical Express always gets us there much earlier than 2 hours -must be the time of day we go, not a lot of pick ups or something?. I live in Chicago, I'm speaking of MCO. We were going to take an Uber this time and not leave so early. We always spend sooo much time just waiting around for our flight at that airport!

Magical Express always gets us there much earlier than 2 hours -must be the time of day we go, not a lot of pick ups or something?. I live in Chicago, I'm speaking of MCO. We were going to take an Uber this time and not leave so early. We always spend sooo much time just waiting around for our flight at that airport!

Why book ME a bit later than, if you think arriving at MCO 3hrs ahead is too early.

I'm just asking about the candy news and if anyone has experienced it yet. :)

We flew out of MCO on Wednesday am, our flight left at 9 am. It was the longest security line I have ever seen there. They ended up stopping the line, bringing out the dog and everyone went with the same rules as precheck, shoes on, everything stays in the bag etc..

If they had not done this we would of missed our flight, we took ME and we left out resort at 6:10. The problem leading up to the issue was not candy.

Thanks! Were you in the regular line?

I'm so hoping to avoid that mess with precheck! :)

Thanks! Were you in the regular line?

I'm so hoping to avoid that mess with precheck! :)

We were, but they were pulling people from regular into precheck. So the precheck lines were just as long as regular. It was really quite insane.

We left Wednesday and went through security at 5:00 AMish.
We had 3 bags of candy from Disney trick or treat.
None of it was scanned outside of the regular the regular scanning machine.

My food heading toward Orlando was specially scanned in Louisville.

I always bring candy in my carry on on the way down as something to have on the plane and have never had a problem leaving my airport with it.
I've gone to MNSSHP last year and this year over Labor Day weekend and brought the candy home in my carry on and no one inspected it at TSA.
I feel like there is zero reason to unless maybe people also have some kind of liquid in there too.

I always bring candy in my carry on on the way down as something to have on the plane and have never had a problem leaving my airport with it.
I've gone to MNSSHP last year and this year over Labor Day weekend and brought the candy home in my carry on and no one inspected it at TSA.
I feel like there is zero reason to unless maybe people also have some kind of liquid in there too.
I would think the large organic mass of candy by itself wouldn't trigger an additional search but if there were a bunch of electronics or cables/chargers etc in the bag next to it, it's going to get pulled for additional screening

When we went through MCO on September 24 they were pulling out all food, magazines,books, baby wipes and all electronics. Security took much longer than normal. They were hand screening everything that they pulled out of our carry on. The agents screening told us it was a new rule and it would be at all airports by next year.

My dd and I each had one gallon size ziplock bag of trick or treat candy in our carryon bags, didn't get a second look at MCO.

Pretty sure you cannot request a later pickup. Disney has their reasons for a 3-hour pickup, and they don't want to be responsible for people making their own choices then complaining if they don't make it in time.

Agree ^^

You can request an earlier pickup by DME but not a later one (unless you want to fudge your flight number) but honestly MCO security can be a walk through one minute and an hour wait the next. Add to that the tram issues and we don't cut it close anymore - we would rather wait at the gate, grab a meal or do some shopping than risk running to the gate or missing the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter