MCO inspecting candy in carry ons?

I have been flying quite a bit the last few months and recently have been requested to remove all food from my carry on in Indianapolis (x3), Tampa, Memphis, and Philadelphia. So while not MCO, it does seem to be a general rule that I am seeing more and more.

We flew out of MCO on sept 29th and the security line was horrible. We waited forever (ok, 30-45 minutes) to go through the scanner, then after waited another 20-30 minutes for my carryone bag to be personally inspected with the cloths/swab things. I had a bag of individual snacks for my kiddos and myself so it took awhile. The lady behind me said mco is an experiment of increased security, she was waiting for her shoes to be inspected, it wasn't even food so not sure what the issue was. We took ME and were glad we got there early because we really didn't have much extra time at the gate after that. I really hope this is not the new norm.

We flew out of MCO on sept 29th and the security line was horrible. We waited forever (ok, 30-45 minutes) to go through the scanner, then after waited another 20-30 minutes for my carryone bag to be personally inspected with the cloths/swab things. I had a bag of individual snacks for my kiddos and myself so it took awhile. The lady behind me said mco is an experiment of increased security, she was waiting for her shoes to be inspected, it wasn't even food so not sure what the issue was. We took ME and were glad we got there early because we really didn't have much extra time at the gate after that. I really hope this is not the new norm.

Wow !

we pack a small meal and or snacks for the plane each and every trip and never gotten a second glace. If this is the new "norm" I wish it would be published on the TSA website so I can best prepare/plan to remove these additional items from our bags.

Wow !

we pack a small meal and or snacks for the plane each and every trip and never gotten a second glace. If this is the new "norm" I wish it would be published on the TSA website so I can best prepare/plan to remove these additional items from our bags.

I really hope it is not the new norm! I do agree though they should communicate it if it is.

We flew out of MCO on Wednesday am, our flight left at 9 am. It was the longest security line I have ever seen there. They ended up stopping the line, bringing out the dog and everyone went with the same rules as precheck, shoes on, everything stays in the bag etc..

If they had not done this we would of missed our flight, we took ME and we left out resort at 6:10. The problem leading up to the issue was not candy.

Same thing happened to us. At MCO right now. I've never seen security so backed up.

Was at Mco last weekend and yes they were yelling to remove all food items from carrying on bags. Which I thought was ridiculous considering I had candy and food squirreled away in various locations in my carry on bags. So yes they are sometimes requiring all food items individually removed from bags :(

Yes, this is the new norm! Many people are reporting that various airports are now removing food products for addtl screening. I'm traveling in two weeks...heading to WDW and will have a bag of candy in the bag when we return home. That bag of candy will be on the top of my carry on bag, ready to be taken out if asked. Any other food stuffs will go in the checked bag. I might even split the candy up...some in the carry on bag, some in the checked bag.
Knowledge is power. If you pack accordingly, you will have a less stressful security experience. If you need to have food for the plane ride, then make it as simple as possible and easily reached and removed from your bag.

We flew JFK-LAS and back last month and both times our carry on luggage was pulled for a second screening to check the food. Like goofy4tink said, just be prepared.

Yes, this is the new norm! Many people are reporting that various airports are now removing food products for addtl screening. I'm traveling in two weeks...heading to WDW and will have a bag of candy in the bag when we return home. That bag of candy will be on the top of my carry on bag, ready to be taken out if asked. Any other food stuffs will go in the checked bag. I might even split the candy up...some in the carry on bag, some in the checked bag.
Knowledge is power. If you pack accordingly, you will have a less stressful security experience. If you need to have food for the plane ride, then make it as simple as possible and easily reached and removed from your bag.

Oh I agree and I have time since I am not flying again until early November. I do re-check the TSA site fairly often for new rules but I wouldn't have found this but for reading the disboards!

We had precheck both ways but, we flew out of phila on Sept 23, with bagels with cream cheese, bag of peanuts, several packs of cookies/ crackers (like for lunch boxes) and probably some chocolate. Nothing said. Left MCO on Oct 1, most of the same stuff ( no bagels) and again nothing said.

Makes precheck sound even better.

". There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint; food and liquid items that comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule, electronics, and books continue to be allowed in carry-on bags." In regards to the electronics policy

We also had no issues last month when we returned from the party. Had everything in a carryon.

I've had to have additional screening through a few airports because of food. From what one agent told me, some foods (or food containers) show up as orange on the x-ray machine, which is raises a flag for them.

I had no idea so many people brought food through security! :p

For some reason I always assumed it wasn't allowed. We always wait until after we go through security and stop to get coffee and a small breakfast to eat while waiting to board. Or if it's a longer flight, I'll buy a bag of chips and a diet pepsi or something from the gift shop.

I had no idea so many people brought food through security! :p

For some reason I always assumed it wasn't allowed. We always wait until after we go through security and stop to get coffee and a small breakfast to eat while waiting to board. Or if it's a longer flight, I'll buy a bag of chips and a diet pepsi or something from the gift shop.
Food has never been an issue before. Just liquids.

Makes precheck sound even better.

I was already planning to sign up since I may have some upcoming flights in the next couple of years with my special needs sister. I figure I would get it first and then sign her up to get it in the next few months before she has any flights. I read the first couple of posts and signed up today since I fly in January and I always have snacks for the flight. Luckily there is a processing location just 20 minutes from my office and I got an appointment next week for processing.

FYI: PEANUT BUTTER is a food item that can cause your luggage to be opened and checked if you check it. I took some with me earlier this year on a flight and the TSA agent had to pull it and from my 311 bag, small individual packets, and check it still.

We flew home yesterday. TSA guy said all food must be taken out and put in a separate bin. Anyone with food seemed to be pulled for secondary screening. The lady doing the screening was slow as molasses. There were about 5 bins ahead of mine, so needless to say we had to wait almost 15 minutes just to have our candy swabbed. If I would have known it was going to be such a hassle I would have just eaten it all in line!

I just flew back this morning with my mnsshp candy. I thought I was prepared by transferring my candy into Ziploc bags so that contents could be easily seen. Per instructions, I removed them from my bag and placed them in a tray. The secondary screener had to empty each Ziploc and swab the candy by the handful. As he was working on the 3rd Ziploc, I just smiled and asked him to reassure me that he was rubbing away the calories.

We flew back from MCO this past weekend. The security lines were absolutely insane. They were swabbing everything. The only food we had was leftover popcorn in a popcorn bucket, which I dumped in the trash before we got to the scanners. I wasn't about to let my child eat it after they tested it since it wasn't bagged. I would suggest putting all food in checked luggage or leaving it behind. Anything you don't need to carry on, check!

Does anyone know if this is just MCO or if other airports are also screening food that was previously ok?

I have two flights coming up, neither are to or from Orlando and I do have TSA Pre Check but I like want to be prepared. I won't have bags of MNSSHP (unfortunately!) but I always bring my own snack, fruit and a sandwich when I fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter