Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith and to me for turning Outstanding Orange!

182px-Vera_Miles_-_1959.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock definitely thought that Vera Miles (born Vera June Ralston in 1929) was outstanding. In 1957, he signed her to a five-year personal contract, and she was publicized as the successor to Grace Kelly. She would have starred in Vertigo, had production delays not coincided with her being pregnant. She did appear in Psycho, though, and also worked with John Ford on The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. She was featured in six Disney films of the 1960s and 1970s: A Tiger Walks (1964), Those Calloways (1965), Follow Me, Boys! (1966), The Wild Country (1970), One Little Indian (1973), and The Castaway Cowboy (1974). She retired from acting in 1995, but reportedly still corresponds with fans from her Palm Desert home.

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for shoveling into Outstanding Orange.

In honor of today's opening of A Wrinkle in Time, let's take a quick look at Oprah Winfrey (born in 1954). Best known for her TV talk show, which ran from 1986 until 2011, she has interests in television, radio, publishing, and online. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2013, she was North America's first multi-billionaire black person and is America's richest African-American. She also ranks as a great philanthropist, having donated hundreds of millions of dollars to date. According to some assessments, she is the most influential woman in the world.

In addition to Mrs. Which in A Wrinkle in Time, her Disney-related appearances were voicing Eudora in The Princess and the Frog (2009) and as Sethe in Beloved (1998). Her film debut was in (the non-Disney film) The Color Purple (1985), for which she received an Oscar nomination.

For the weekend, let's feature a popular pair: Mary and Bert from Mary Poppins (1964).

186px-Julie_Andrews_-_portrait.jpg

Dame Julia Elizabeth Andrews (born Julia Elizabeth Wells in 1935) started her career as a child on the London stage and came to prominence in Broadway musicals in the 1950s (My Fair Lady, Camelot). In 1957, she appeared in the televised Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Cinderella to an estimated 107 million viewers.

Mary Poppins was her film debut, earning her the Oscar for Best Actress. (According to Disney Wiki, Walt Disney chose her for the part for her ability to whistle, and she provided the whistling for the bird in "A Spoonful of Sugar.") She later delivered the biggest hits in the history of 20th Century Fox (The Sound of Music) and Universal (Thoroughly Modern Millie). She worked steadily in film and on television.

In 1997, Andrews underwent vocal cord surgery that permanently damaged her singing voice. But she continued working, including in Disney films. In 2001, she appeared in The Princess Diaries, her first Disney film since Mary Poppins, and even was able to sing a song with a specially limited range (which she nailed on the first take) in 2004's The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. She also was the Narrator in Enchanted (2007). Andrews was inducted as a Disney Legend in 1991, and she was the official ambassador for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration.

In addition to her acting work, Andrews has written a number of children's books and an autobiography, Home: A Memoir of My Early Years (2008).

193px-Dick_Van_Dyke_1959.jpg

Richard Wayne "Dick" Van Dyke (born 1925) left high school in his senior year to serve in World War II. He was rejected several times for being underweight, but finally was accepted for service as a radio announcer and then entertainer for troops in the continental United States (he did receive his high school diploma--when he was 78). He then started his career in local TV and then moved on to variety shows before hitting Broadway (which he tackled without having had any dancing or singing lessons).

Van Dyke starred (with Mary Tyler Moore) on The Dick Van Dyke Show from 1961 to 1966 . During this time he got into films. In addition to Mary Poppins, his Disney work in the 1960s included Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (1966) and Never a Dull Moment (1968). Of course, he also starred in (non-Disney) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

At an age when many people retire, he just kept going. From 1993 to 2001, he starred in the TV show Diagnosis: Murder. He made appearances in Disney-related films Dick Tracy (1990) and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014), and in 2001, he narrated a feature-length documentary about Walt Disney titled Walt: The Man Behind the Myth. Even though now in his 90s, he's been out and about quite a bit (including joining a 90th birthday flash mob in singing "Let's Go Fly A Kite") and will have a role in Mary Poppins Returns (scheduled to be released this Christmas).

Van Dyke was named a Disney Legend in 1998.

In addition to acting, Van Dyke has kept busy with singing. He has sung in an a cappella group called "Dick Van Dyke and The Vantastix" since 2000. And last year, he released "Step (Back) In Time," his first solo album since 1963.

One more Mary Poppins tidbit--in addition to playing Bert, Van Dyke also played the villain, Mr. Dawes Sr. The credit of "Navckid Keyd" reveals itself to be an anagram of "Dick Van Dyke."

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for jumping to Popular Purple and to the team for turning Outstanding Orange!

302px-TommyKirkFessParker.jpg

Tommy Kirk (born in 1941) is certainly in the running for the actor who has appeared in the most Disney live-action movies. His relationship with Disney began in 1956, when for The Mickey Mouse Club he played Joe Hardy in a Hardy Boys serial, covered both the Republican and Democratic conventions, and did travelogues.

Starting in 1957, Kirk appeared in a whopping eleven Disney films through 1965, often with Fred MacMurray and Annette Funicello (so you'll recognize a lot these names): Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, The Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent-Minded Professor, Babes in Toyland, Bon Voyage!, Moon Pilot, Son of Flubber, Savage Sam, The Misadventures of Merlin Jones, and The Monkey's Uncle. Disney let him go after The Misadventures of Merlin Jones because it became known to the studio (though not the public) that Kirk was gay--but then the studio brought him back for the sequel, The Monkey's Uncle, because the Merlin Jones character was so popular.

After parting ways with Disney, Kirk appeared in some of the beach movies of the mid-1960s and other features, but his career declined due to drug use. In the early to mid-1970s, he came out publicly as gay, gave up drugs, and became successful with his own carpet and upholstery cleaning business.

Kirk was named as a Disney Legend in 2006. According to D23: "[Kirk] fondly remembers Walt Disney, and recalls once bumping into him at a Beverly Hills hotel. 'He was with Hedda Hopper, the legendary columnist. He put his arm around me, and he said, "This is my good-luck piece here," to Hedda Hopper. I never forgot that. That's the nicest compliment he ever gave me."

The image is Tommy Kirk with Fess Parker, who played his father in Old Yeller.

I did not get many active minutes in last week. I am finally feeling back to normal. The stress took a toll on me. I should be able to get to the rec at least 3 days this week and also get out to walk so at the end of the week through the weekend. We are finally going to get back to 50 degree temps.

I am adding 72 minutes for the last few days.

185/1395

I loved hearing the stories for Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews. Both are one of I favorites. I loved Diagnosis Murder when I was younger. Julie Andrews playes in several of my favorite movies.

Adding 40 minutes today. . .
265/660

I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time getting through the rest of my minutes this month since I usually do them on my lunch break at work, but due to mandatory overtime, I'm going to be working through most of my lunch for the rest of the month. :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter