Mitch & Tiffiny's December Wishes Wedding!

Well, it’s after 9 PM here…and I haven’t done a smidgen of homework tonight. Sigh. Guess that’s what I’m doing all night tomorrow. I’ve found that it’s really hard for me to focus on stuff I need to do when there’s still a lot of stuff that I I want to do. With school (I’m getting an MBA…hopefully…), I just have not had the time to dedicate to Disboards Weddings & Honeymoons that I’d like. It turns out it was a massive mistake to do school in the months prior to my nuptials. I feel like I haven’t had the opportunity to really savor the experience. Now all I am is stressed out…but not just because of the wedding. :/

So, in my attempt to just get it all off my chest and hopefully focus just on homework for the rest of the week…I’ll try to pick up where I left off. I’m also going to try to do this in sections so that people who (care to) follow can have some good break points.

So, here it goes!

So, it looks like where I last left off was the reception in Utah. Nothing much has changed with that one, except that we now have no idea what we’re doing for food. We were in talks with a caterer here to do the food (the one that used to babysit me as a child!), but she kept being really flaky with discussions. We’d be talking, and then all of a sudden she’d disappear off the face of the earth. I’d have to keep reaching out to her to re-establish a connection. Finally, I asked her for a quote…and then off again, no word.
So, we pulled the plug on her.

About month later, we decided we’d have this place called Teriyaki Grill do our food (they seemed cheaper, and it’s Japanese food—so it goes with the fact that we’re doing Japan in Epcot). So, I reached out to the owner and she was super enthusiastic about doing it (and, turns out, she’s high school friends with the lady doing my photo booth). Then she disappeared.
I am just so flabbergasted at how you run a business like that. You want people to give you money? You really should do your job. And I’m not the person who emailed them once and decided not to play once I never head back. We’re talking multiple attempts on my part to get this to work out. None of them panned out.

As for the catering thing…we’re now looking at very minimal self-catering. We’ve already gotten our floral BEO back (more on that later), and so I am projecting final costs of the wedding at $18K-$20K. So, anything to save money and not have it look too shabby…and I’m up for it.
And now…the most exciting thing to happen on the wedding front since I booked the darned thing December 2013!

The Planning Session (CAKE!!!!)
We had our planning session September 8, 2014. Apparently, we should have done it way earlier, because we’re now SOOO close to the wedding date (December 8) and still don’t have any idea of what this is all going to cost (except for the floral). Regardless , it was super fun. We got in on Saturday the 6th, and so we had the evening of the 6th and all day on the 7th to play around. I won’t go too much into the trip itself….because we’ve all been to DW. I don’t want to bore anyone too badly.

The session was awesome though. I have to say that I was a smidgen underwhelmed by Franck’s, because it is pretty small. I’m not sure why I expected it to be bigger, but I did. That’s cool though—it was still really pretty, all of the decorations all over the place are just awesome. I got to meet my planner, Mikki, for the first time—and she is awesome!
I think I completely underestimated before going in how much actual planning of the entire day you do at the session—but I do feel much better now about having my day turn out how I’d like. For those who have not had a planning session yet, they pretty much leave no stone unturned.

The session (sadly) started with cake tasting. I think this would have been a better element to end with, but oh well. It turned out fine though, because I hadn’t had breakfast and was honestly starving. We only had three different flavors to choose from (on account of my picky groom—why pick more flavors when you know your groom will only eat three different kinds of cake), and ended up settling on the red velvet. This surprised even me—because I honestly thought my groom was going to insist on a chocolate tier. It makes me very happy that we were able to compromise, because in my opinion, the red velvet was the most moist cake of the three we tried. Combined with their vanilla buttercream frosting (surprisingly better than cream cheese with the red velvet), I was in heaven.

Additionally, we also planned what I wanted the cake to look like. Of all the individual elements on the wedding—the cake is honestly the single item I will probably spend the most on. It sound stupid and silly (and it is), but I LOVE sweet things (especially cake) with a passion. Wedding cakes are so freaking gorgeous too—it’s edible art (I have a whole Pinterest page just for wedding cakes—and not just because I’m getting married!). I watch cake shows on TLC and Food Network, just because I love them so much. So, while I decided going in that I’d probably get a two tier and skimp on some of the elements of the cake I wanted…I decided mid-session that I was just going to have the cake I wanted, within reason. Granted, my “within reason” amount is like $900-$1,000(an insane amount for a three tier cake)…but I have requested a lot of details, and I really want a three-tier as opposed to a two. Not to mention, the plan is to marry the man of my dreams only once…
I want my one shot at a wedding cake to be fantabulous.

This was the part of the session that I probably took the most interest in, because of my love of cake. Some time ago, I found a cake on the internet that I fell in love with an decided I would mimic…while also changing a few things to try to make sure it’s not a complete rip-off of someone’s cake. Mikki said she loved the cake too, and had never seen one like it before. Just because she hadn’t seen it though doesn’t mean it wasn’t Disney’s to begin with. If you look at the photo—those Mickey heads must have been made at Disney . If not…someone is very brave to risk incurring the wrath of the Disney legal team.

So…finally, with my cake! It is based off the design above. However, what we’re going to do is have a red fondant, instead of a white. Additionally, we are removing the bow from the top tier. Instead, I’ll have swags with Mickey heads on the top two tiers. The bottom tier will have a rose border, similar to the one in the example cake—except that the roses will be red (I’m trying to see if Disney can make a black magic rose out of fondant or sugar), and the leaves will be gold. The swags themselves will be black, the Mickey heads will be gold, and I also want a gold pearl border at the base of each of the top two tiers. I also want all the gold elements to have bits of luster dust on it (to make it kind of glisten…also, kinda like pixie dust).

Below, this is a mock-up of the cake that my planner drew up for me after the session. It doesn’t have the golden pearls on the tiers, but she does make mention of it in the description. Assuming the heads are three dimensional like the cake this is based on (which it better be…), I think this will be a gorgeous cake for me. It also just goes to show why I think this cake could cost $1,000. It’s a three-tier cake, and the roses will all be done by hand. It might be cheaper to go real floral instead of sugar/fondant floral…but I want to see what the price tag comes in at first before I make that kind of decision. The roses are what I WANT…and I think having it all be edible is a big part of my wants.

The topper is also our topper. It looks like Mikki went and took an image off of Amazon and just Photoshopped it on there. It’s cute, I think. My hope is that we can get a glitter Mickey head under the topper on the top tier of the cake. I’ll make my groom remove it himself to reveal the hidden Mickey.

To get an idea of the color scheme I'm going for for the cake...I've posted the exact reds and golds I want, as demonstrated on this cake:

The only issue I'm having is that I want the roses on the bottom to be red...which is obviously sort of problematic, since the fondant is red too. So, hopefully they'll be able to make the roses more of a "black magic" rose so that we get the right contrasts against the red fondant and gold leaves. I sent them this as an idea of how to make the roses' colors work:

So...that's it for the cake part!

Tiffiny

Ceremony
I think I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again—the ceremony location will be Japan. Given our limited fundage for this whole silly venture (I keep criticizing myself more and more when I remind myself what I’m spending on one day)….we’ve decided to keep floral expenditures to a minimum. The most important flowers are the ones that I’ll be carrying down the aisle and the groom’s boutonniere. So, we really haven’t done a lot with floral. So, Japan was chosen because it’s just so naturally beautiful, and we felt like it didn’t require a lot of “dressing up.”

(Note: I don’t particularly like this ceremony set-up…but you get the idea. Plus, you can understand why most people pay extra for different chairs.)

The ceremony planning part of the session did include a lot of floral stuff though, and the introduction of Elizabeth Davis, our floral planner. Sweet, sweet lady—and very creative! We talked about how I wanted the bouquet to look, my maid-of-honor and bridesmaids, and then the boutonnieres for the groom and bet man. Basically, my bouquet is going to be a French bouquet of black magic roses and stephanotis, with little Swarovski pearl Mickeys in the bouquet. It will be wrapped in a red satin ribbon, which I plan to attach a bride/groom Mickey and Minnie pin and a Figment pin at the top and bottom of the handle. Our theme is “elegant Mickey and Minnie,” so Figment’s probably the most “out of place” thing we’ll have…but I can’t have a Disney Epcot wedding without a nod to Figment (probably may favorite Disney character).

(Can’t find a good picture of the Figment pin at the moment)

Bridesmaids’ bouquets will be five black magic roses, tied with a gold ribbon (the ladies will be in black—so we have representation of our black/red/gold colors). Sorry Tia (my step-sister and bridesmaid)—I know you’re probably reading this. So, that’s what your bouquet will look like! Don’t tell Julie. She’ll just be disappointed by the fact that it’s only five roses.
Groom’s boutonniere will also be a black magic rose with stephanotis and a pearl Swarovski Mickey head…as well as an as-yet-undetermined Mickey pin on his boutonniere. Best man’s boutonniere is the same thing, but lacks stephanotis (like the bridesmaids’ stuff). Why? Because apparently the bride and groom are special. ;)
The great thing about this is that I flat-out told Elizabeth at the session that I wanted to spend no more than $500 on all the personal floral (knowing how expensive Disney is, and what I wanted my ultimate price range to be). They surprisingly worked within that request—so I will totally give them that. Total cost for personal floral was $404.35. They came in at $95.65 under what I told them my limit was, so I’m pretty happy. I know I could probably save money by looking at outside vendors (I know some brides have)…but I have outside photographers and videographers. I cannot describe how stressed out I am about having outside people because of what it takes to coordinate everybody. So, as much as I could probably have saved money going elsewhere—we really just didn’t want the stress of worrying about making sure we had our stuff on time.
Other tips to save money are to limit décor…which we have, but we’re still having some. As of now, we have upgraded chairs to the black wooden ones (Carrie Hayward’s PJ is correct—the black plastic lawn chairs that they give to you for free are a joke).

We are also going to try to have a floral formation of Mickey’s head at the start of the aisle…but when I got my floral BEO back, it’s $150. It’s tentatively still in the wedding (because it’s pretty), but it’ll be the first to go when we start cutting. It’s pretty, but I’m not sure $150 is worth it for a petal formation that could blow away.

Aisle décor…we are going to line the aisle with a glass vase acrylic ice, which will secure in place a single black magic rose in the center. These will line the aisle. Additionally, we will have glow cubes in each of the vases, and will have those moved from the ceremony to the reception, and then from the reception to the dessert party later that evening. The glow cubes will be reds and yellows. Lochside doesn’t appear to be very well-lit, so our hope is that having a glow cube will provide some lighting (albeit, not that much). In imagining what they’ll look like, imagine a cross between these three:

I’ve already mentioned that we’ve upgraded the chairs to a wooden chair, but I also wanted to let on that I’m going to have some decoration, albeit not a lot. I didn’t want just plain chairs…so I am dressing them up a bit by playing with how they look on the aisle. We’ll have a red ribbon on the chairs kind of like this (except there won’t be pretty flowers on the chair, because of lack of fundage!):

Depending on what this all ends up costing us (to be determined after we see the ACTUAL BEO), DF wants to upgrade the chairs to chiavari. If it's like an extra $100, what the heck, right?

For kind of an idea of what this looks like from the top, the below picture serves as a reference. I don’t think it’s too bad, actually. It’s the poor man’s way of dressing up the aisle décor…while totally not spending a ton of money to do it:

We also upgraded our linens from a boring blue (provided by our reception venue, Living Seas Salon) to match our wedding colors. So, we'll be doing black, red, and gold.

Major Domo is coming to the wedding, and we’ll also have a violinist for our music (change to IPod at the reception). The final thing that our floral lady helped us out with before leaving, however, was our “place cards” aka favors…the infamous embroidered Mickey hat that all the brides do. I feel so uninspired doing it…but at the same time, it’s just too gosh darned cute. Uniqueness to hell. I love it.

Tiffiny

And...because I'm dumb, I can't figure out how to upload my floral BEO (as of now). So, I copied it and am pasting it here. If anyone can tell me how to upload those files without Photobucket (because I don't even know how to with Photobucket), please let me know so that I can post the actual BEO properly once I get it.

CEREMONY Epcot: Bonsai Promenade
TIME 9:00am
PRE RECEPTION Epcot: Living Seas
TIME 10:00am-11:00am
DINNER Epcot: Living Seas
TIME 11:00am-3:00pm
DINNER Epcot: UK Lochside
TIME 8:30pm-9:30pm
BRIDAL GOWN COLOR: White QTY COST
BOUQUET Round, French bouquet of black magic roses with white stephanotis. 1 $250.00
Accent the centers of the stephanotis with Swarovski pearl Mickey's.
Wrap the stems 100% with red satin ribbon. Bride to provide a pin for the handle - attach
at delivery near the top. Bride to also provide a figment pin. Attach near the bottom of the handle.
CRYSTALS: 8 Mickey pearls 8 $30.00

MAID OF HONOR GOWN COLOR: Black
BOUQUET Small hand tied posey of 5 black magic roses. Tie the stems together with gold firefly ribbon. 1 $46.80

BRIDESMAIDS GOWN COLOR: Same as the MOH.
BOUQUET Same as the MOH. 1 $46.80

GROOM 1 Black magic rose with white stephanotis with a pearl Mickey center and ruscus. Bride to 1 $16.00
provide a pin - attach at delivery. CRYSTALS: 1 Mickey pearl. 1 3.75 $3.75
BEST MAN 1 Black magic rose with ruscus. 1 $11.00

CEREMONY
Epcot to provide an altar table with black linens.
24 Black folding chairs. Please note: $75 delivery fee.
24 $120.00
25 Guests Place in three rows of four on each side of the aisle.
6 Red solid cotton sash tied horizontal across the top of the chair with the tails hanging on 6 $30.00 the aisle side of the chair.
6 9" Cylinder vase - rental. 6 $30.00
Put a base of black flat marbles in the base and suspend a single red rose bloom in the vase. 6 $45.00
Fill with water and top with a white floating candle.
6 $19.50

Place on the ground lining the aisle at each row on both sides of the aisle.
Using black magic rose petals form a Mickey head (with the head and ears connected) 1 $150.00
at the start of the aisle near the last row of chairs. Please note: since you are in an outdoor location we cannot guarantee the petals will stay in place.

STAGED EXIT Yes Black magic rose petals loose in a basket for tossing.
23 $63.25

PAGE 1 TOTAL: $862.10

MOVE CEREMONY FLORAL TO DINNER: Yes see below*
SOLD BY: Elizabeth Davis / Mikki Bray UPDATE: October 7, 2014

QTY COST
DINNER 5 120" Round red solid floor length base linens.
5 $78.75
Sweetheart Table 5 90x90 Black solid cotton overlays.
5 $58.75
4 Rounds 25 Canary shantung napkins 25 $68.75
Black cotton solid chair covers with a sash. 25 $218.75
Transfer the aisle cylinders and place one per round with a fresh candle. Place two 6 $19.50
on the sweetheart table.
5 Scatter gold Mickey confetti on each table. Price per bag.
1 $8.95

FAVORS No
PLACE CARDS Yes Adult standard Mickey ear hats with guests names in a gold script.
25 $548.75
Preset at each place setting.
TABLE NUMBERS No 1
MENU CARDS No

CAKE No Nothing needed.
CAKE TABLE DÉCOR Yes Disney's Fairytale Wedding Cake Knife and Server Set. 1 70.00 $70.00
Engrave with "Tiffiny & Mitch, December 8, 2014"
1 $20.00
BOUQUET TOSS No

DESSERT PARTY Resort to provide black linens.
Cocktail Tables - 4 Transfer the arrangements from the reception and place one per table with a fresh candle. 6 $19.50
Highboy Tables - 2

COMMENTS: Colors Are: Red, black and yellow
Likes/Dislikes: Likes, roses, calla lilies and stephanotis and pearl Mickey's
TOTAL PAGE 1 & 2 $1,973.80
DISCOUNT
No in park photo session currently scheduled.
FL TAX (6.5%) $128.30
SUBTOTAL $2,102.10
MOVE FEE* $100.00
SET FEE $0.00
PLEASE NOTE: November 24, 2014 All changes must be submitted by this date by 12:00pm EST.
DELIVERY FEE $75.00
FINAL TOTAL $2,277.10
CONSULT DATE: September 8, 2014 SOLD BY: Elizabeth Davis / Mikki Bray UPDATE: October 7, 2014

All in all...I gotta say...for what I'm doing, I actually feel like $2,277 isn't too ludicrous. I guess that's what happens when you prepare yourself for a $5,000 bill and it comes out to be less than $3K. It softens the blow!

More to come...but it's almost 11 PM, and I have to wake up in 6 hours for work. Hopefully I'll have time later this week to talk about the remainder of the session. (I have a picture with Richard!)

Tiffiny

The Interim
The initial planning session started around 9 AM and ended at about 11:30 (I think—it felt like it went later than it was scheduled). We ended up having a break for about an hour, so during that time we decided to do some sightseeing in the immediate area. This included walking over and seeing the new Grand Floridian Villas for DVC (as members, we had that curious, “Ooh! Let’s go see what’s new!” thing)—which was beautiful.

We then also went and saw the wedding pavilion. We aren’t getting married there (obviously), but out of morbid curiosity—I just wanted to make sure I had made the right choice in my venue (which, no matter what I did—because WP is a lot more expensive!). Granted, we only got to see the chapel part, and it was undecorated (they were having a wedding there in about two hours from the time we were there though—so maybe it got decorated?)…but I have to say I was pretty unimpressed. It was really pretty, but it didn’t look as if they’d changed the carpet in some time. And, pretty much even my step-dad (who isn’t really super into all the wedding stuff, but accompanied us on the planning session anyway) commented that it just looked like a chapel.

I am so happy for anyone who chooses WP, because it is gorgeous. There was even another planner there that day to get it ready for a wedding that was going to happen in about two hours from that time who could not stop talking about how beautiful it was and what an easy sell it is for brides because of its splendor. But...I felt like I had my decision to hold my ceremony in a park was validated that day.

I’ll give WP “beautiful,” but I still felt like it was something I could have had at home (and have something prettier, since at home I could probably afford to decorate it). If you don’t have the money to decorate it though…it’s a standard marriage room. Money for decorations just seem to make it more palatable as a choice...and I knew I wouldn't have had the resources to 'dress it up' in the way I would have wanted. Plus, a standard wedding chapel just didn’t feel like it fit the vibe my DF and I are going for. I will give it the cool window at the altar. It’s pretty awesome how it magnifies Cinderella’s Castle as you walk in, and then gets smaller as you get closer to the window. That said—being able to see the castle is really the only “Disney” thing about the pavilion—and the fact that it would look so small to my photographers once they were up close taking pictures of us…I’m just glad I chose otherwise. It’s a venue that, for m, didn't feel reflective of our personalities and tastes (then again, maybe I just have super poor taste!!). I’m flying all the way to Disney to have a Disney/Epcot wedding. I wanted a magical location that made that pretty clear…and WP just felt generic to me.

Let me tell you though..."dressed up" or not, I still think that if I could have afforded the castle or train station for my venues ($10,000!!!!), I would have done that to “keep” that uniquely-Disney vibe. Sad, sad pricey Disney weddings...

Next stop was the Grand Floridian itself. I hadn't been there since I was younger—so I honestly didn't remember a ton what it looked like. As beautiful as it was, this is a location where I don’t always see what all the hullaboo is about (and I certainly don’t know why it’s $500/night). We puttered around one of its gift shops for a little bit, but did not stay long because of our impending tasting appointment. Did get some interesting ideas for a guestbook though (since we don’t have one yet). Disney was really up front with us that their guestbook is pretty generic and boring, and that we’d be better off getting our own. So, we’re considering a Shutterfly book, but also, a really pretty photo album that we saw with an inset engraving of Cinderella’s castle on the front and a leather cover (okay—looked leather and probably wasn't ). We could insert places to sign, and pictures…so, just ideas.

Finally, the end of the trip to the Grand Floridian was met with going outside and seeing…Richard! I’ll admit that he is the one thing that makes a WP wedding cool in my mind (okay, and the pumpkin coach…). You see him in so many wedding photos of brides who get married at the WP, that he’s just sort of a fixture. I used to think he was someone they hired to be part of the weddings until I read a piece that DVC did on him in their quarterly publication—and he’s just a greeter. What a sweet guy though, and just a cute little old man. Call me silly…but I wanted a picture with him, since he definitely won’t be part of my wedding with the location that we have.

(Yay Florida humidity! Look at my hair! UGG!!!)

As cute as he was…poor little guy just doesn’t appear to be in the best of health. So, I’ll admit there was this part of me that was like, “I need to get a picture with him before he dies! He may not be here the next time!” So…we snapped the picture and headed back to Franck’s.

Tiffiny

You definitely need some sleep! Hope you were able to sleep soundly, at least.

On a different note - it'd been so long since you updated, that I forgot that we pretty much have the same venues (lol, especially now that we switched to Japan)!:lmao: Sounds like you're actually getting a lot for your money - especially since over $500 of your $2800'ish floral is actually just the favors/seating cards. And hey, at least you're decorating your ceremony venue! The only thing we're doing to it is the chairs. And I'm still worried about coming in over budget! I think the tables will look very neat, though, with the linens you chose. Must admit though, I'm surprised you decided to do covered chairs, even if thinking about it I can understand.

As for cake - your design seems like it'll be really cool! Hopefully they execute it as you want, and that even with your sugar flowers it comes in within your budget (though real flowers look cool too!). ::yes:: Funny that you two chose the red velvet - that's the same one we chose too. Though we didn't actually get to try it at our planning session - I actually ordered a mini cake for while we were down there, since we couldn't try everything we wanted.

Sounds like you two had a good time overall!

You definitely need some sleep! Hope you were able to sleep soundly, at least.

On a different note - it'd been so long since you updated, that I forgot that we pretty much have the same venues (lol, especially now that we switched to Japan)!:lmao: Sounds like you're actually getting a lot for your money - especially since over $500 of your $2800'ish floral is actually just the favors/seating cards. And hey, at least you're decorating your ceremony venue! The only thing we're doing to it is the chairs. And I'm still worried about coming in over budget! I think the tables will look very neat, though, with the linens you chose. Must admit though, I'm surprised you decided to do covered chairs, even if thinking about it I can understand.

As for cake - your design seems like it'll be really cool! Hopefully they execute it as you want, and that even with your sugar flowers it comes in within your budget (though real flowers look cool too!). ::yes:: Funny that you two chose the red velvet - that's the same one we chose too. Though we didn't actually get to try it at our planning session - I actually ordered a mini cake for while we were down there, since we couldn't try everything we wanted.

Sounds like you two had a good time overall!

Thanks Alyaki! We had a great time. I hate to say it...but it probably would have been better had we had more time alone together. DF and I just vacation differently when we're together alone than when we're with family. It almost didn't feel like the trip really "started" until everyone left on the Friday of that week (we didn't leave until Saturday). So, we basically had one day alone together. On the actual wedding trip, we'll have pretty much a full week alone before the wedding, three days of family leading up to the wedding, and then alone for almost the whole rest of the trip (except the Friday following the wedding, when we all go to Discovery Cove together).

And thank you. I feel like we've come in (so far) pretty well, considering what we want. I think at this point, we could do a $20K wedding, but I'm shooting for $18K. I'm not going to go so economical that I have no decorations...but at the same time, doing a lot less than what I'd like. As Carrie has said in her planning journal (and I think she does in Passporters too)--no one misses a lot of the decorations. You're in Disney--so that's really the main appeal. I do have certain parts of what I want for my wedding day to happen though--for example, the integration of of my colors. That's why I upgraded the linens at the reception--though I'll admit I'm kind of afraid of how they'll clash with the rest of the room. I think we'll be okay though.

We are also lucking out on the fact that we really don't have that many people coming--so what we spend on food is probably going to end up being less (though we still have to meet the minimums for LSS, of course). We also aren't having like a DJ or anything...since neither of us felt like dancing that early in the morning (plus, we're not really dancey people). An Ipod and some Disney music...that's all we need. So, instead of spending $1,000+ on a DJ, lighting, etc...I imagine we'll spend no more than $300 on the sound system.

And thank you both, Alyakia and Gummybear091 for the comments on the cake. I know it's partially a ripoff of someone else's...but it was a pretty cake, so what can I say. :) It's sorta mine...since we're changing the color scheme and the top tier. Here's hoping it comes out as pretty as I'd like it to. And I think we'll go with real flowers if they end up being cheaper (depending no where everything else comes in price-wise). My goal was to try to make the whole thing edible though...so, that's what I'm hoping to do. Full-on cake art. :)

There is more to come...it just probably won't be until the weekend, because I've got SOOO much homework. :( I have a four-day weekend this weekend though (I have Fri-Sun off, and then we also get Columbus day off). So, hopefully I can trudge through it all, and still get to this! The sooner I get done...the more time I can waste here. :)

Tiffiny

Your wedding sounds lovely :) I love the color scheme! I agree with you about the WP looking too much like a chapel. I'm the same way. It looks too churchy for me, and DF agrees. It's a pretty space, it's just not the space for us.

Just so you know, if you guys decide to do real flowers on your cake, there's a chance that the flowers may have pesticides on them, not to mention the possibility of wilting before the cake gets photographed or cut. Yeah, sugar flowers are more expensive, but they'll last longer. Depending on the quality, you could also have them preserved and keep them. At my school, we have wedding cakes with sugar flowers on display for months and they last. Ultimately, it's up to you, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. I've talked to some people whose bakers didn't tell them that.

So, hopefully they'll be able to make the roses more of a "black magic" rose so that we get the right contrasts against the red fondant and gold leaves. I sent them this as an idea of how to make the roses' colors work: http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/TiffinyKaye/media/BlackMagicRose_zps1aac6759.jpg.html So...that's it for the cake part! Tiffiny

Tiffiny I got a haunted mansion cake for my parent's anniversary-- and those black magic roses were ALL OVER IT. I'm SURE they will be able to do them on your wedding cake!!!

So glad you finally got your floral BEO! I know the feeling when you're expecting $5,000 and it comes out closer to half that. If you look at it line by line you can be shocked at how much they're charging for certain things but taken as a whole (and knowing the word 'wedding' means 'extra digit before the decimal' in vendorese) it is quite a relief! I love that you found Richard too! He seems to be such a fixture of Disney Weddings, we're using our bonus night at the GF so I hope we can find him while we're staying there.

We're using the Mickey hats as place cards as well, I feel the uniqueness is still there in that most - if not all - of your guests will have never seen this before nor possibly ever again. Going through the planning process you see a lot of ideas that have been used so many times but your guests likely have no idea what to expect and will always remember how magical and unique it all was. I hope you get the rest of your BEO soon! Looking forward to hearing about it!

Thanks, everyone! I love this board, because of how supportive you all are. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tiffiny I got a haunted mansion cake for my parent's anniversary-- and those black magic roses were ALL OVER IT. I'm SURE they will be able to do them on your wedding cake!!!

Do you happen to have a picture, Andee? I'd be interested in seeing how teh bakers pulled off that decoration.

Do you know which bakery did it? I get concerned that if, say, Grand Floridian did it (maybe Contemporary? I don't remember where their bakers are), that the Epcot people won't be able to do the same thing.

Anyway, I'm just crossing my fingers that the cake looks gorgeous.

Tomorrow is 60 days. Holy wow!!!!

Tiffiny

And I just got an email from my planner. She thinks that the initial BEO and estimated budget should HOPEFULLY be to me by the end of next week. I sigh, because I just want it now...but at the same time, I am grateful to at least hear SOMETHING on when I should see some numbers. That way, I can at least start REALLY figuring stuff out.

Finally getting somewhere!

The Tasting

While the entire beginning part of the planning session was awesome (particularly figuring out the cake), I loved our tasting. Not only was it a good thing because I was hungry (cake for breakfast, remember?), but it was just incredibly fun.

Our planner, Mikki, took our entire party for the planning session over to Epcot to have a private tasting in one of their professional, working kitchens that do a lot of the events on property. (I had forgotten to mention that the planning session included me, DF, my stepsister/ bridesmaid Tia, and my mom and step-dad.) It was simultaneously awesome, yet deflating to “go backstage” with our planner into one of the kitchens behind the World Showcase. It’d be lying if I didn’t say it “ruined the magic” a bit. That said, Maelstrom is gone forever…so the magic of World Showcase for me has forever been destroyed!

But, I digress. (Yes, I am one of those bitter people super upset that they took Maelstrom out--for a "Frozen" ride no less! Blasphemy!)

I wish I had a list (and I probably do somewhere, if I looked), but we had so much awesome food at the session. I unfortunately do not remember the names of our chefs, but they were super sweet ladies. What they did, is they sat us all down at this long-ish wooden table in the kitchen, with cooks everywhere running around doing stuff. I wish we had taken pictures. We didn’t even think about it, because we didn’t think there would be a need to (one of my biggest regrets). I can tell you that we tried probably almost ten different things (I may be exaggerating, but it felt like a lot!). My favorites were this INCREDIBLE macaroni and cheese (which we’ll actually use Mickeyroni noodles for to “keep our Mickey theme”), some kind of noodle dish with peas, and the bananas foster. We also discussed desserts for the dessert party, but not at the length that I wanted them to be discussed. With as prepared as I was to have the discussion about EVERYTHING ELSE, for some reason, dessert party really slipped my mind (totally uncharacteristic of me, since I am a dessert fiend).

The entire tasting session, the chefs kept asking us what we thought of dishes. Mikki sat at the end of the table by me, and kept a close watch on our reactions to each of the food items. I think I was more vocal about what I liked and didn’t more than the others—and I think most planners really care more about what the bride likes anyway. In most cases, I’d say that’s wrong…except when it comes to me and food. Food is my favorite (especially sweets—as I’ve mentioned a few times), and I want to be able to eat everything.

Ultimately what I’m hoping for is a varied menu—but I 100% require Mickey waffles the Mickeyroni and cheese. I would also love the bananas foster…but am not married to it like I am the Mickey waffles. My whole goal over the next 60 days is to eat as little as possible so that I not only fit into my dress—but have room to gorge on the magnificence of Mickey waffles. (My relationship with food isn’t unhealthy…no…)

At the end of the session before heading back to Franck’s, the chefs were so kind and sweet to present us with a gift…one that I think many Disney couples end up getting at the end of their tasting (the head of which is still in my freezer, waiting to be eaten….a solid, white chocolate Mickey/Minnie:

And…that was about it for the day. Finished the day up at Epcot, where we had Teppan Edo for dinner. Sadly, we still really haven’t talked to our officiant much yet about what he’s going to say…but he’s the boyfriend of my bridesmaid (stepsister), so I imagine we’ll be able to touch bases not too far out from the wedding, and figure it all out. I probably should get on that pretty quickly, being only 60 days out. You’d think we’d be more worried about that and the marriage license at this point…but it’s the other details I’m super worried about. LOL!

Dessert Party

This next part technically didn’t happen during the planning session (not sure why…it’s pretty important). It occurred after we returned home from the trip in a discussion I initiated with my planner's assistant. In wanting to have the most accurate BEO the first time around (knowing that there will be changes, inevitably), I wanted to get it all planned out.

On to the dessert party!

We will be having our DP the night of the wedding at Epcot’s Lochside. This is an element of the wedding that originally (like a year ago) I had decided not to have because of the expense. Then, I started snooping around here more and seeing all the pictures (particularly LurkyLoo’s) and fell in freaking love. I mean—more food, right (desserts again)? That’s a huge plus. Second (and probably more importantly, of course)—how many people get to say they had fireworks at their wedding? Not only that, but at Disney?
I think it's a memory that I will have for a long time, and my fiance, and all of my guests that will be hard to duplicate.

So, ultimately we said screw it, and just decided to spend the money—even though the little voice inside me said that it was really stupid. And that little voice inside me is still screaming that about the entire wedding (“Tiffiny! You never said you’d spend a ludicrous amount of money on a wedding EVER! What are you doing?!”). But the attitude-y me is shutting up the logical me long enough to make sure that we get to the 30-day mark so that there is no turning back. So far, that’s been working. Logical me is starting to become resigned to the fact that we’re too forgone now to stop it, and at this point, it’s just “cost management” (i.e., remove the floral Mickey formation if the BEO goes above $20K).

So, there was another thread on the boards where I mentioned my dessert party, but because this is the “planning journal,” I figured that I should post it here for posterity as well. Who knows? Maybe someone will have the patience to wade through all of this someday and find it helpful, if not a bit entertaining. So…onward.

So, my planner’s assistant, Amanda (bless her heart—I think she hates me because I’m a clingy, hands-on bride) was really helpful in helping me figure out what our menu would end up being. MY GOSH desserts at Disney are freaking expensive! First, I found out through this board that the minimum is $23/person for a DP. And $23/person gets you probably like…three dessert options? LOL! :rotfl2:

The planning was sort of sad, because I saw my dreams crumble in terms of what I wanted, due to expense and the dessert preferences of others (yay, Tiffiny—letting people step on her YET AGAIN.) Cost was a big contributor to letting go of some of my favorite items though…for example, I wanted to have a Mickey tart at the dessert party, similar to the Mickey tarts I saw on the trip at the Boardwalk Bakery. They were adorable and VERY Mickey:

(Granted, not the best picture…but they’re cute!)

And, like Mickey, they are also VERY expensive items to have. So, we dumped it. Then, I wanted a red velvet whoopie pie, similar to those found at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot:

Also, very Mickey because of that Mickey head. The plan was to further incorporate our colors into it though by having the red velvet cookie sandwich, the “black” (okay, they’re really brownish) chocolate chips, and we’d have the buttercream filling actually be dyed a gold shimmer color. I was in love.

Alas…like Mickey, very expensive, and gone from the menu.

To further complicate matters, I had to deal with the wants and desires of all of my guests—some more finicky than others. For example, my dad is a full-on vegan. We have to have a special meal for him made at the brunch, and I decided that it would be a nice gesture to also have something for him at the dessert party. Given that it’s my dessert party, I decided to compromise and get something that we’d both like (and maybe others as well). So, I settled on a vegan pumpkin pie tartlet, in a Mickey Mouse-shaped crust (having a hard time finding pictures of the crust, for some reason). Both my dad and I love pumpkin pie…so hopefully he’ll enjoy it. And, hopefully he really enjoys the gesture of making sure there’s a vegan dessert option.

Then, on top of that, my step-dad’s favorite thing in the world is key lime pie (in Mickey shell)…so I figured I have a key lime pie tart. No problem. But now--my DF, who is SUPER finicky, requested a chocolate mousse tartlet (also in the Mickey shell)…so we did that.

My biological sister and her boyfriend are SUPER DUPER finicky, and so we had to have a cheesecake. Sigh.

Long story short…we were getting to things that I liked, but didn’t love. I wanted to cry, because I honestly feel like there are some parts of the wedding have been “hijacked” by other people, when they really shouldn’t (my dad…drama that I’ll address later…). So, I decided that there would be at least ONE dessert I wouldn’t cut…banana cream pie parfaits.

Unfortunately, they won’t taste like my grandmother’s banana cream pie—but she died about two years ago, and I am just depressed that she never got to see me get married. This is my ‘nod’ to her to have that dessert. I was told by the planner’s assistant that it was probably one of the most expensive menu items…but it’s what I wanted, and I honestly don’t care who else eats them. I will eat ALL of them, if needed (it’s a good thing I have a corset dress).

In my attempt to reorganize the menu, too, I decided that I didn’t want just the Mickey crusts to be my only Mickey representation (given our theme of ‘elegant Mickey’ is something I want woven all throughout the day). So, we decided to do a cheaper option to the whoopie pie—cupcakes. We’ll be doing a red velvet cupcake, with that same Mickey head that you see on the whoopie pie in the picture above. Additionally--and this is my favorite part--we’re going to have a red frosting on the cupcakes with a gold shimmer to it. So…we’ll have red, specks of gold, and then the Mickey head…both something black and Mickey. All of the theme, and the colors, into one dessert. PERFECT. And if it tastes anything like our cake, then I will be super stoked and eat all of them myself.

To give you an idea of what I showed my planner’s assistant for the “shimmer” I wanted, I found this on Pinterest (deemed “the rabbit hole” by my planner—too true!):

My cupcakes won’t have that flower (it would have increased costs), but again, it’ll have a Mickey head. Now, imagine that cupcake with the same color red frosting on my cake (a picture was in an earlier post of the type of deep red I’m going for). Then, add the gold shimmer. I don’t think I’ve ever been so IN LOVE with the idea of a cupcake before. I hope I am just as in love with it in-person.

We were going to have Mickey-shaped rice krispy treats….but I found out the other day that we will be able to take the leftovers home from the rice krispy “groom’s cake” from the ceremony, because it’s being provided by the florist. DF’s favorite thing in Disney World (aside from Mickey premium ice cream bars) are the rice krispy treats…so, considering he’ll have ALL the leftovers from the reception, I figured he’d probably be too rice krispy’d out by DP time to eat enough to justify it. So, we pulled it out of the DP to help with costs, and he’ll just eat the leftovers from the reception the rest of the trip (while I eat the rest of the cake).

So, what did we ultimately end up getting and come in at price-wise?

Dessert Party Menu
Banana Cream Parfaits (no nuts added)
Vegan pumpkin pie tarts in Mickey Mouse Pastry Shells
Chocolate mousse in Mickey Mouse Pastry Shells
Key Lime Tarts in Mickey Mouse Pastry Shells
Miniature Cheesecakes with Raspberry Topping in Mickey Mouse Pastry Shells
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Red Shimmer-Gold Buttercream Icing and Chocolate Mickey Head (as seen on Whoopie Pie)
Soda bar (Bill On Consumption)
Mickey Premium Bars (Bill on Consumption)

It didn’t quite turn out the way we originally envisioned it (we were going to try to keep purely with our red/gold/black color palette with all the desserts for the Mickey theme), but I still think it turned out pretty good. I’m especially excited for the red velvet cupcakes, just because I think they’ll be pretty.

And what did this all cost me? Before the rice krispy treats were taken out…$35. With the rice krispy treats out…$32/person! You’d think that removing an item would have made a bigger difference, but oh well. We’ll still do our food for DP at around $896 (before tax) . So, after tax and charges for the BOC items like soda and ice cream novelties, and venue rental costs….I’ll guess around $1,200.

Okay! Bed time!
Tiffiny

I just found and read through your planning journal and wanted to ask, are you me:p? I’m also planning a wedding in Japan with a reception at the Living Seas and hopefully an Illuminations dessert party, but way out in fall 2017. I’m really glad to find a journal of someone at the same venues, it lets me a get a good idea of the things I’ll need to do when my time comes. Your wedding sounds like it’s going to be so pretty. I love the elegant Mickey theme!

And that’s rough on the dessert party. It’s hard to make something for everyone at the wedding, and still make sure you’re happy with it as well. I’m dreading it as when my time comes. My sister is gluten-free, one of my bridesmaids can not eat anything with milk in it, half my family is allergic to coconut, and the other half loves coconut to death. I want them to have a good time, but I want to enjoy my party too, and not break my wallet.

I can’t wait to hear on how your wedding goes, you’re so close!

I just found and read through your planning journal and wanted to ask, are you me:p? I’m also planning a wedding in Japan with a reception at the Living Seas and hopefully an Illuminations dessert party, but way out in fall 2017. I’m really glad to find a journal of someone at the same venues, it lets me a get a good idea of the things I’ll need to do when my time comes. Your wedding sounds like it’s going to be so pretty. I love the elegant Mickey theme!

And that’s rough on the dessert party. It’s hard to make something for everyone at the wedding, and still make sure you’re happy with it as well. I’m dreading it as when my time comes. My sister is gluten-free, one of my bridesmaids can not eat anything with milk in it, half my family is allergic to coconut, and the other half loves coconut to death. I want them to have a good time, but I want to enjoy my party too, and not break my wallet.

I can’t wait to hear on how your wedding goes, you’re so close!

Aww--thanks Katlyn! :) I think those venues are the best. So, of course we both picked them. :) LOL!

I hope the pricing structures don't change too much between now and the 2017 ones. I think the dessert parties are totally worth it. It's sucky that they don't count towards your event minimums now. I mean, I think we're in a position of where we'll hit minimums anyway, even without the dessert party (you probably will too, with what sounds like all the dietary restrictions in your party!). That said, it was nice when they counted because it opened up a lot of freedom for brides with a tight budget.

Hopefully my PJ is helpful to you (and I apologize for the length--I write a lot :( ). If anything, hopefully it lets you know that you can do as little, or as much as you want with Japan, because it's already a beautiful location (even without enhancements).

How many people are you having come to yours? That may be tough to answer, given how far out we are. We are trying to keep ours under 25, to keep costs of food down. Since Wishes is a 20 minimum...the less guests you have (while still including everyone who would be super important to you to have there), the less expensive it'll be.

The best advice I can offer is start saving now (if you haven't already). Disney weddings aren't cheap, and I foresee them becoming more expensive as time goes on. Start saving so that you have to compromise as little as possible on the things that you want. At this point, I am terrified of having to cut things once I see my original BEO. For example--and I don't think I have brought this up yet in the planning session discussion--our hope is to have a caricature artist for the reception, since we have a four hour reception and DF doesn't want to dance or have speeches. What are our guests supposed to do?! So yes, I want that. Plus major domo (already mentioned) and Mickey and Minnie in their gold attire (I can't find a picture just now).

I REALLY don't want to say no to any of that...and I'm sort of afraid I might have to. I've saved a lot for it...but the addition of videography to the wedding (something I will address in my next entry) is something that I fear will make it all hard.

Tiffiny

Must admit though, I'm surprised you decided to do covered chairs, even if thinking about it I can understand.

Alyaki--I totally just realized I never responded to this comment. I was deleting my old notification emails, and this one was still in there.

I wanted to follow up with the fact that I actually didn't want covered chairs. All I wanted was a gold ribbon on the chairs. I said this to the florist, but she said it came as a set...so I basically got shot down on that. :)

So...whatever, I guess! Covered chairs it is. It's their linens they'll have to clean if we spill on them by accident.

Tiffiny

Have you still not received your BEO?! I love your dancing alternatives for the reception. I hope you can keep all of it!! I tried to get Diana on board with doing some silhouette artists, but she promptly declined that idea. I'm curious to see what you ultimately select!

Have you still not received your BEO?! I love your dancing alternatives for the reception. I hope you can keep all of it!! I tried to get Diana on board with doing some silhouette artists, but she promptly declined that idea. I'm curious to see what you ultimately select!

NOPE! No BEO yet! :( I mean, I've got the floral (posted earlier), but no actual BEO. I got an email from my planner about two days ago saying that they were "trying" to get it to me by the end of next week.

If by the end of next week she means Friday, that means it'll be only 22 days before it's all due. Even then, probably REALLY 21. 100% of the estimated budget is due 11/08/14 (a Saturday). So, they're probably going to need to charge my card 11/07/14. That doesn't give us a lot of time to go back and and forth on things. I've already told DF that the weekend we get it, we're sitting down and examining it with a fine-tooth comb and making all of our changes and getting it back to Disney. My thought was that we'd have a lot longer to do that kind of haggling...but apparently not. :(

Suffice it to say--I'm really trying not to stress out too badly over not having the BEO yet.

I'm definitely trying to keep the caricature artist, no matter what. Not having anything else to really do for four hours (especially since DF is so against speeches), I really don't know how we'll keep people entertained otherwise. Watching fish in the aquarium can only entertain a person for so long, I think.

Tiffiny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter