Mixing Business and Magic - A Solo Adventure * UPDATED 11/3*

scrpbookr

DIS Veteran
Hello! And welcome to my Mixing Business and Magic trip report! This trip was made possible largely due to a work conference that I was attending in Orlando in June of 2014. If felt like a bonus trip since I had visited just a few months before with my family. This trip I revisited some of my favorites but made sure to take in most of what I may have missed on the March trip. There were some firsts for me...
  • I visited both water parks
  • I did a lot of exploring of some of the different Disney resorts
  • I made it to Be Our Guest
  • I was thrilled to make it to Mickey's Back Yard BBQ
  • I rode some of the thrill rides I usually skip due to having a pretty young child
  • Rode the new Mine Train
  • Took in a bit of mini golf
  • Lunch at 50s Prime Time Diner

I'm sure there are other firsts but these come to mind at the moment.

I stayed at an offsite hotel recommended for the conference but it ended up being a very convenient location. It was the Wyndham next door to Downtown Disney on the Wolfgang Puck side where the Disney buses run.

I did have a rental car for the week. This made hopping from the conference to the parks easy.

Thanks for joining me!

Last edited:
This trip got off to a bit of a rocky start and there was no one to blame except myself. I guess I'm a bit more responsible when I'm travelling with others.... :confused3 You wont believe what I did! I missed my flight! The really irresponsible part was I didn't even know I was missing my flight. This also meant that I wasn't stressed out about missing it either because I didn't know until I was checking in. Somehow I mixed up the what time to leave the house time / what time to check in time / what time the flight leaves time in my head. Fortunately, although this is uncharacteristic for me, the airline deals with this all the time and they fixed it quickly. They didn't even charge me anything which I found incredible. They just scheduled me standby on the next flight out in an hour or so. And I was able to check in at the gate and make that flight. All's well that ends well. I made it to Orlando and after what seemed like a very long check in at Alamo for my rental car I was on my way to the first park of my visit!

I had originally planned to arrive at the park about 10am. With about an hour set back on the flight and almost an hour getting the rental car it was more like noon when I got there. But none of the delays mattered anymore because I was here!!
ry%3D480

The park I chose for my first day was....
ry%3D480

My favorite!

I parked in the travel and transportation lot and was happy to see a rendition of the big guy right away...
ry%3D480

Even though I knew I was going to Florida in June and I knew it would be hot I just wasn't ready for exactly how that would feel. That meant I consumed a lot of cool treats like this next one...
ry%3D480

Such a welcome site!
ry%3D480

I'm here!
ry%3D480

The sweetest corner on the happiest street in the World!
ry%3D480

Nothing welcomes quite like a cast member with their arms full of Disney balloons!
ry%3D480

I had a plan for the earlier anticipated arrival and I decided to just stick with the same one even though it was a couple of hours later. I headed through the castle... Hi Walt! Hi Mickey!
ry%3D480

Where our favorite couple was performing....
ry%3D480

Nothing quite like castle fireworks to make you feel welcome!
ry%3D480

Friends!
ry%3D480

I continued right past the castle with a special destination in mind. I enjoyed the sights as I made my way...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I was very much looking forward to enjoying this, for the first time, with a FP, later in the day...
ry%3D480

It was exciting to get my first live peeks of it in action!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I'm getting close to my intended destinations. Any guesses? More coming soon!

Joining in Brenda!!

Wow, I definitely would not have reacted like that if I'd missed a flight. So great of them to adjust so quickly though, And only an hour for the next one? Score!

Well done with the solo sign from the car photos! I know from experience how tricky that is.

I love arriving when Dream Along is happening. It feels like a special welcome just for you. :goodvibes

I was getting ready to enter a very Beauty and the Beast centered portion of the trip. Thanks to wonderful advice here on the DIS I had heard the line to have lunch at Be Our Guest is more enjoyable if you grab a Le Fous Brew to enjoy while waiting and that is what I did.

Not before a different rendition of the castle photo though...
ry%3D480

First Stop Gaston's
ry%3D480

The imagineers did such a wonderful job with this area!
ry%3D480

This stop I tried just the Le Fou's Brew but before the week is over I come back a couple more times for a few other new favorties.
ry%3D480

The description...
ry%3D480

Some of the decor...
ry%3D480

A great little nook...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Gaston's throne...
ry%3D480

Next stop.... the long anticipated Be Our Guest....
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I was so excited to be here and finally in line to do this!
ry%3D480

This was a bit delayed but I did remember to take a picture of my first Le Fou's Brew....
ry%3D480

The ice water available for those waiting in line was such a thoughtful idea!
ry%3D480

The wait wasn't bad at all. Especially considering we were still in the noon hour. Before long it was time to enter...
ry%3D480

There were menus to look at in line to help decide choices ahead of time.
ry%3D480

Important choices first.... dessert!
ry%3D480

The cast member in this area was kind enough to take a picture for me as I was entering...
ry%3D480

Hello Lion!
ry%3D480

The costumes for cast members in this area are perfect!
ry%3D480

A beautiful mosaic...
ry%3D480

and tapestry...
ry%3D480

Look at this arch! Every detail is special!
ry%3D480

What does every castle need? A row of knights in shining armor!
ry%3D480

All this fun and we haven't even ordered yet! The ordering kiosk...
ry%3D480

I'm just about out of picture space here so I'll continue this in a part 2....

The next big decision was which room I wanted to enjoy my meal in....

There were so many lovely choices!
ry%3D480

The carts that they bring the meals out on seem so luxurious!
ry%3D480

When I spotted this I knew where I wanted to sit down to eat!
ry%3D480

This room is so cool!
ry%3D480

Although it does appear that it can get a wee bit dangerous from time to time...
ry%3D480

With the technology behind Disney magic my meal found me at the table I chose....
ry%3D480

My choice. It was delicious but truly enough for two. I don't think I even finished half after having a Le Fou's Brew just a bit earlier.
ry%3D480

I adore how they even made the soda fountains fancy!
ry%3D480

For dessert I had the Grey Stuff cupcake! I had to take it with me for later. I was much too full right then.
ry%3D480

The best part of the room I chose was when the thunder and lightning began and then this portrait would change to the Beast for an instant....
ry%3D480

PERFECT!
ry%3D480

I looked around the castle a bit more before leaving...
ry%3D480

This was a favorite detail as well!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Love the artwork!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Goodbye, castle..... such a wonderful lunch experience!
ry%3D480

This might be my favorite popcorn cart in the World....
ry%3D480

I was heading back towards Gaton's in hopes of a meet....
ry%3D480

He wasn't out yet so I did a bit of browsing in Village Gifts...
ry%3D480

The Thomas Kinkade's are gorgeous...
ry%3D480

I also did my first pin trading of the trip in Village Gifts. The faux book sitting there on the counter is their pin trading book.....
ry%3D480

When I was done shopping it was time to meet Gaston....
ry%3D480

I don't even know what to say about this next one.....
ry%3D480

He was going on and on about himself...... I was in it for the picture...
ry%3D480

Okay.... are we all Beauty and Beasted out? It was a fun start to the trip.

Joining in Brenda!!

Wow, I definitely would not have reacted like that if I'd missed a flight. So great of them to adjust so quickly though, And only an hour for the next one? Score!

Well done with the solo sign from the car photos! I know from experience how tricky that is.

I love arriving when Dream Along is happening. It feels like a special welcome just for you. :goodvibes

Thanks for stopping by, Rob!

The whole missing my flight thing was so out of character for me. And I had no idea I was late until I was checking in and was getting an error. I would have been totally stressed if I knew before that. But at that moment when I found out there was no sense in getting worked up. The counter attendant stepped over and fixed me up before I had time to get upset. Go US AIRWAYS! They saved the day.

Truthfully Brenda, grabbing a Brew for any reason is a good idea. :thumbsup2

BOG certainly is lovely. I especially enjoy the fact that is is unlike any other QS anywhere. More of a mix of counter service and table service in one.

And not one but TWO pictures of the naked Prince mosaic. :laughing:

So sorry your trip had a not so great start! But I'm glad the airline was so accomdating and that you made it ok.

Nice walking in while DAWM is going on!

Yay you got to eat at Be Our Guest! My first time eating lunch there I also chose to sit in the West Wing :) \

Great pics with Gaston.

After all the Beauty and the Beast fun I continued to make my way through New Fantasyland. I stopped to admire Prince Eric's castle...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The skies look slightly threatening...
ry%3D480

This area is so well done!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

As I continued towards the Storybook Circus I was excited to see the clowns performing...
ry%3D480

I had fun with them in March and was excited to see them again...
ry%3D480

The skies are still uncertain...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I stopped for a bit of pin trading....
ry%3D480

.... and then continued on to the Barnstormer. I had ridden the Barnstormer in CA but never in FL before.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I was taking in all the theming and capturing it for the scrapbook...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Banners along the way...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I met this sweet boy in line. He was admiring the pins on my bag and wanted to trade. The pins on my tote are the special keepers from parks around the world, Castaway Cay, etc. So I had to explain to him that they were special to me but to make up for it I pulled out my trades and let him pick a couple for his collection without asking for trades in return. It felt good to do that for him and helped pass the time in line, too.
ry%3D480

The Wheel of Peril...
ry%3D480

It was time to board our Barnstormer...
ry%3D480

And we're off!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

For all those goofy injuries...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The Casey Circus Train splash zone was pretty quiet right then. I think we were all about to enter the splash zone regardless....
ry%3D480

I love the pin trading at the Storybook Circus store!! When I first saw it I didn't realize what it was, so clever.

Uh oh, sounds like those skies are about to open up..

Oh dear those skies. I sadly am all too familiar with them. :sad2:

Awww, so very nice to let that youngster pin... shop, lol. I'm sure he loved that. :goodvibes

I headed back into Fantasyland next and was excited to see the Fairy Godmother meeting!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Cinderella's lovely fountain!
ry%3D480

Her castle from the back...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

A beautiful gown in the boutique...
ry%3D480

Sweet Fantasyland details...
ry%3D480

While I was in Cinderella mode I popped over to where the Stepsister and Stepmother meet and was in luck. They were there. They're a hoot to watch...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

In time it was my time to meet them as well. It was starting to rain again so they were moving quickly. They went in almost right after I met them and I was thankful the timing of the meet worked out.
ry%3D480

The Merry Makers were nearby as well....
ry%3D480

It was time for a potty break and there is no better place than the Rupunzle's Tinkle Tower...
ry%3D480

The prettiest potty ever!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I looked for Pascals but wasn't having much luck finding them....
ry%3D480

As usual, I love how thorough the themeing is....
ry%3D480

Those skies.... not good!
ry%3D480

The skies did open up but with umbrella in hand I did continue to take a few pics along the way...
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

So pretty.... even in the rain...
ry%3D480

Look at this sweet bunny!
ry%3D480

One last picture from the hub and then I'm out of picture space for this post....
ry%3D480

Great character pics! Lucky that you caught the Tremaines before they left.

Love the photos with the umbrella peaking through, so unique!

In spite of a bit of rain my trustee umbrella and I made our way towards Tomorrowland!
ry%3D480

It had been a lot of years since I had taken in Stitch's Great Escape so that is where I headed first.
ry%3D480

I was solo on this trip since a work conference is what truly brought me to Orlando but I remember missing Reagan as I was waiting for Stitch. When we are there again this June I'd like to share this with him then.
ry%3D480

Prisoner Teleport Center...
ry%3D480

Orientation....
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Stitch!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I thought this was a cute little show and Reagan is at the right age for it. Hopefully he will want to see it in June.

In the dump store...
ry%3D480

The rain continued so I quickly ducked across the way and rode Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
ry%3D480

Taking in all the queue details...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Just about time to board...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The little battery packs on the backs of the cars amuse me everytime!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Zurg is captured by THE CLAW...
ry%3D480

Which puts a big smile on Buzz's face....
ry%3D480

My score of a lousy 8500 reflects that I spent a lot more time taking pictures than shooting targets...
My ride photo proves that I was busy taking photos!
ry%3D480

Back outside it was still rainy so I quickly tried to decide what inside attraction I'd head to next. Any guesses?
ry%3D480

Great Buzz photos! I absolutely love the ride photo, so fitting :rotfl:
Hmm where are you headed next? My first guess was PeopleMover but now I'm thinking Carousel of Progress! I guess I will wait and see :)

I haven't been to see Stitch's Great Escape for forever. I'm not one of those people who hates it though. I actually get a kick out of it, and plus it rarely ever has much of a wait.

As Alexis guessed, Carousel of Progress was next. It was still raining and it was an easy place to duck into after Buzz.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Making our way through the ages...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I love that grandma is playing the video game. Reagan get's his Nanny to do that, too.
ry%3D480

Nearing the end...
ry%3D480

Back outside it was a perfect day to be a duck. And what better place to be a duck than at Disney!
ry%3D480

I had another good inside destination in mind. I had to make my way through Fantasyland to get there. Past Storybook Treats Ice Cream....
ry%3D480

... and past the carousel...
ry%3D480

To Mickey's Philharmagic...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Caution: Doors Open Magically Towards You...
ry%3D480

Theater Posters...
ry%3D480

3D Glasses!
ry%3D480

And not to spoil anything, but my favorite part....
ry%3D480

The dump shop...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The End...
ry%3D480

Last edited:
Fortunately, the weather had improved a bit while I was in the Philharmagic. During our previous visit in March the Jungle Cruise wait time seemed a little crazy and we missed riding it. I was determined to ride it this time. I was making my way there when I was distracted by an old favorite....

ry%3D480

Nothing takes me to my happy place much faster than pastel lanterns at a tea party!
ry%3D480

There was really no wait and I was spinning along in before I knew it...
ry%3D480

Love!
ry%3D480

After that quick side track I was refocused on getting to the Jungle Cruise and nothing short of Castles or Bunnies would distract me!
ry%3D480

How could I not take a picture of this cutie!?!
ry%3D480

Hello, Goofy! Sorry no time to talk. I have a Jungle Cruise to catch!
ry%3D480

Getting closer! At least we are in the right land now...
ry%3D480

I think the rain had cleared out some crowds. There was barely a wait at the Jungle Cruise.
ry%3D480

Amazon Annie would take us on this adventure!
ry%3D480

Hungry?
ry%3D480

Waterfront Property at Disney!
ry%3D480

Our Skipper!
ry%3D480

Sights along the way...
ry%3D480

This guy makes water front property near the beach unappealing even at Disney....
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Hippos! Adorable!
ry%3D480

The backside of water! Always a treat!
ry%3D480

Sweet babies!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

It was a short stay in Adventureland. After the Jungle Cruise I made my way into Frontierland....
ry%3D480

I enjoyed this little set as I made my way to the next attraction on my "to do" list....
ry%3D480

I'm about out of photo space for this one so I'll stop here. Any guesses on what is coming up next?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter