Monorail

Chomperoni

Earning My Ears
I am planning on booking a trip nov 12 - 18 and staying at either the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise pier.
I have a 3 year old and we originally thought that DH was better because the monorail stops there and it would be convenient for us to go back with our little one during the day for breaks.
However, I have since learned that the monorail is not operational now.
Can anyone please tell me if its better to stay at DH or Paradise Pier for convenience with our little one ?

Thanks

well.. when i visited... the monorail stops near the DLH.. i would reccommend it because it is closer to the monorail station.. i know that when i was little (6 y/o) it stopped inside the DLH...have fun on your trip!:)

tigger0215 said:
well.. when i visited... the monorail stops near the DLH.. i would reccommend it because it is closer to the monorail station.. i know that when i was little (6 y/o) it stopped inside the DLH...have fun on your trip!:)
The OP's point is that the monorail will be down during their trip.

In answer to the question, if you are asking about distance to the parks, here is some info that might help:

www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060329as

It would appear the difference is not that large, but PP is a little closer in general.

THanks, it helps me somewhat...

Does anyone know if the entire monorail is down or just parts of it?

tigger0215 said:

The monorail station has not been moved. The area around the Monorail station has been re-done. It never stopped inside the DLH.

OP here is the information you are looking for:

MousePlanet said:
Disneyland Monorail closed August 21 - December 22 for station remodel and queue construction for Submarine Voyage.

The entire monorail will be down.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the quick info.

I am thinking that the Paradise Pier hotel would be better since it is smaller and I may get a room in one of the farther towers at DH.

Thanks
Dan

When we stayed at Paradise Pier in 2001, we took a shortcut to the parks through the Grand Cali Hotel. It made it a nice quick walk.

Yes, if you cut through GC, PP might be better. But in actuality the hotels accross Harbor are closer then both PP and DH.

Paradise pier is very close, you're so close to DCA and you get to use the special entrance at GC to access that park. To get to DL you walk the GC and come out with most of Downtown Disney behind you. DLH is a bit further back. As for the other hotels being closer, they are but the atmosphere outside the parks is far from that of a Disney one and personally I stay onsite to enjoy being fully immersed in Disney the entire time. Paradise Pier accomplishes this ( I know its nowhere near as nice as the GC but it is still a very nice hotel). There's nothing like being in DL for a few days and feeling like you never leave, even when you're on the way to the hotel.

My main complaint about Disneyland is nullified because I never stay off property. The main complaint being that the sorrounding area is so run down. Paradise Pier is beautfiul, as is DisneyLand Hotel. You'll have a blast either way. Generally taking the monorail there or back takes about the same time as walking most times anyways when you figure in walking to and from Tommorowland and depending where you are or want to go, although it is less walking.

EnnEss said:
As for the other hotels being closer, they are but the atmosphere outside the parks is far from that of a Disney one and personally I stay onsite to enjoy being fully immersed in Disney the entire time. There's nothing like being in DL for a few days and feeling like you never leave, even when you're on the way to the hotel.

My main complaint about Disneyland is nullified because I never stay off property. The main complaint being that the sorrounding area is so run down.

Amen to that. That's what we like about WDW, and one of the reasons why we usually end up going there, even though DL is closer. If only DL had "moderate" or "value" resorts the way WDW does, it would be perfect.

(And thanks, EnnEss for the analysis of the Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier. We're currently trying to decide between the two for this December. With the monorail being down, and wanting to eat often at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian, I think I'm leaning towards Paradise Pier.)

EnnEss said:
My main complaint about Disneyland is nullified because I never stay off property. The main complaint being that the sorrounding area is so run down.
I guess this is a matter of opinion. I have stayed at both at Disney and non-Disney hotels at DLR, and I do not have the impression that the area surrounding DL is "run down". I think it is clean and safe. The hotels range in quality. I have not stayed at a bad one at DLR, but like any metropolitan area there are some that are worse than others.

I've stayed at the Bonita Tower at DLH, and we always used the Grand Californian to cut through to the parks.

The walk to dlh & pp isn't that much further. I'd look more at the other features in these hotels to make my choice.

There's info in the sticky thread at the top - and also, here on the DIS is some great info and pics of the hotels.

I have never stayed at DLH, but love PP. We always bring a small umbrella stroller for our kids - the walk is not far at all, but is for the little legs.

If you stay at PP, it is really worth it to pay/guarentee a park view......fabulous at night!Your little one might also enjoy the glass elevator!

EnnEss said:
My main complaint about Disneyland is nullified because I never stay off property. The main complaint being that the sorrounding area is so run down. Paradise Pier is beautfiul, as is DisneyLand Hotel. You'll have a blast either way. Generally taking the monorail there or back takes about the same time as walking most times anyways when you figure in walking to and from Tommorowland and depending where you are or want to go, although it is less walking.

How long ago were you there (here)? Disney, CalTrans, OC, and Anaheim have put a lot of money into the Disney corridor and the freeway. It has been greatly enhanced.

I do appreciate the advice from everyone.
Last time I was in Disneyland was in 1992 and I am really excited about sharing the experience with my kids.
I think that I will stay at Paradise Pier since it is newer. The rate is the same as DH.

When I am in town I would like to catch a Lakers Game.
Does anyone know a reliable site to get a couple of tickets without mortgaging the house?

Chomperoni said:
. . . When I am in town I would like to catch a Lakers Game.
Does anyone know a reliable site to get a couple of tickets without mortgaging the house?

Try Ticketmaster [dot] com

Woody

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
The monorail station has not been moved. The area around the Monorail station has been re-done. It never stopped inside the DLH.

Okay okay.. sorry.. my bad...:guilty:. What else do you expect from someone who was 6 at the time!?:confused3 :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter