More CRV Rumor info

angtx

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a week at WDW and had breakfast at Chef Mickey's. I mistakenly thought that DVC members could valet free at any hotel, not just those with villas so we pulled up to the Contemporary valet and asked to park and the valet guy said "you only get to park free at hotels with Villas and since we aren't a villa YET you have to pay". I tried to get more info but he wouldn't budge. After breakfast, we rode the monorail with the Pilot and asked him. He said that they have known for 3 years what is going there but all Disney employees had to sign a document stating that they would not discuss it with anyone. I mentioned the valet guy and he said that they are typically outsourced and don't have to sign the same papers. So when I jokingly said, so they are going to be DVC he just smiled.

So... Disney has not made a public announcement but told the valet who does not work for Disney???

Sorry, but these folks the exact same thing you and I do.... (NADA)

(Disney CM's have been extending the monorail thru the "black" hole in the SWAN for 20 years.... still waiting!)

So... Disney has not made a public announcement but told the valet who does not work for Disney???

Sorry, but these folks the exact same thing you and I do.... (NADA)

(Disney CM's have been extending the monorail thru the "black" hole in the SWAN for 20 years.... still waiting!)

Funny you should mention that. My husband was very interested to know why Disney hasn't extended the monorail. We were told by the same Pilot that there was a proposal submitted a couple years back to extend it by 26 miles at a cost of $780 million. Once upper management adjusted the figures to accomodate future planned growth, it was over a billion so they decided it was cheaper to do buses and revisit the monorail later. The original monorail cost $1 million/mile. The EPCOT extention was $4 million/mile and now it is estimated to cost $12 million/mile.

Yeah, it is inconceivable that someone who works on the same property can talk to other people working at the same place. They must check their paychecks before giving themselves permission to speak.
;)

Once upper management adjusted the figures to accomodate future planned growth, it was over a billion so they decided it was cheaper to do buses and revisit the monorail later. The original monorail cost $1 million/mile. The EPCOT extention was $4 million/mile and now it is estimated to cost $12 million/mile.

Inflation bites. I honestly don't see a monorail expansion in Disney's future. I can't see it adding much to the transportation system over busses though. How many can a monorail train carry vs. a bus and how many monorail trains run at a time?

Really the only advantage I see is a small one exclusive to wheelchair and ECV users. Monorail trains don't require tie-downs saving an extra 5-10 minutes loading/unloading time.

But Carol, wouldn't that just be sooooo cool?

If they did that, I would not need to purchase an AP anymore. I would just ride the monorail from place to place to place . . . :)

Inflation bites. I honestly don't see a monorail expansion in Disney's future. I can't see it adding much to the transportation system over busses though. How many can a monorail train carry vs. a bus and how many monorail trains run at a time?.

It can carry one unless they set up substation. - so lets say one at each place Studios to AK.

Really the only advantage I see is a small one exclusive to wheelchair and ECV users. Monorail trains don't require tie-downs saving an extra 5-10 minutes loading/unloading time.

can you image the out cry - why do they get to do and I don't....Paid all this money....

besides it is not the trains - it is putting down the monrail tracks that is so darn expensive. Once it was open everyone could use it.

disney is waiting for the monrail to become popular and the price go down. think they will be waiting a long, long, long time. they are better cheaper alternatives that cities are trying.

not as many buses as you would expect - I think I got told 15 buses (might have been 30?)

Same thing happened to us, we went to valet at Contemporary and pulled up with our DVC window tag and they told us the same exact thing. We didn't care, we paid for it and were not expecting it for free. However our valet guys had loose lips. DH asked what the new building was (already knowing the rumor of course) and they all chimed in "Oh Disney is calling it an expansion, but it is common knowledge its going to be DVC." And all smiled.
Not that it was shocking, because as far as I am concerned, it is definitely going to be DVC - its just funny to hear CM's takes on it all.

On a sidenote, we went to the Poly another night and pulled up and the valet said he would park our car for free this one time even though Poly is far down on the list to be a DVC - maybe after they are done with CRV. Hilarious. But loved the free valet!

Carol,

This is one of those cases where the rumor might have some basis in fact. (Although those passing the rumor on have no idea what that basis is ):rolleyes:

If you look at this page from disneypix, you’ll see a picture from Disney News circa 1977 showing a concept model of a monorail extension to the LBV Shopping Village.

The original plan for what eventually became the Swan & Dolphin had them located just off that picture to the right, approximately where the Casting Center and Team Disney are today.

http://disneypix.com/Recreation/DowntownDisney/ConceptLBV.htm

That picture shows the Monorail Beam weaving in and out of some of the buildings in the model, so it is possible that the planned hotels had direct monorail service.

I believe Eisner’s “Work in Progress” has some info on how the Swan & Dolphin ended up at EPCOT.

The hotels originally slated to be across from DTD were also shown on the Master Plan map that once was displayed in the old EPCOT Outreach in Commucore.

:surfweb:

frank - where do you get your information?

the Swan and Dolphin are NOT WDW resorts and never were. To my knowledge until after Epcot was done (82) did they even ask?

What? You missed it? I was just there and it's done already! ;)

monorail-swan.jpg

frank - where do you get your information?

the Swan and Dolphin are NOT WDW resorts and never were. To my knowledge until after Epcot was done (82) did they even ask?

Pat,

I get the info from the same places as everybody else: books, magazines, websites, old Disney Park TV shows (watching WDW 15th Birthday Special(1986), hosted by Betty White & Bea Arthur:scared1: right now)

Point 1 - I am not an insider, I live in South Joisey, for Christmas sake:santa:

Point 2 - I never said the Swolphin were Disney hotels, they’re operated by Sheraton and Westin, and always have been.

The Swolphin were buit by Tishman, the same company that built EPCOT, and the same company that had (according to them) the contract to build the hotels across from DTD. Eisner covers the whole convoluted story in his book. The end result was Tishman built the Hotels (1988-89) at a better location, EPCOT. BTW, the original hotel designs at DTD were run-of -the-mill boxy hotels.:sad2:

PS the area where the Swolphin BW and Y&B hotels was originally planned as an extension of World Showcase, with a like area on the other side behind China. But not enough countries signed on, so to plan was dropped. But that’s another story.:rolleyes1

As for the Master Plan dislayed at EPCOT Outreach, it was last reported hanging in a CM breakroom at the TTC or MK.:confused3

We just got back from a week at WDW and had breakfast at Chef Mickey's. I mistakenly thought that DVC members could valet free at any hotel, not just those with villas so we pulled up to the Contemporary valet and asked to park and the valet guy said "you only get to park free at hotels with Villas and since we aren't a villa YET you have to pay". I tried to get more info but he wouldn't budge. After breakfast, we rode the monorail with the Pilot and asked him. He said that they have known for 3 years what is going there but all Disney employees had to sign a document stating that they would not discuss it with anyone. I mentioned the valet guy and he said that they are typically outsourced and don't have to sign the same papers. So when I jokingly said, so they are going to be DVC he just smiled.

I have seen 3 so called rumors that were soo unrealistic come to fruitition recently with AKV, GCV, and Hawaii

I certainly would not bet against the CRV happening, especially with construction currently ongoing there.

you would have to be pretty bold to say for certain it definately wasnt happening

I don't know whether CRV will happen, but...does it seem to anyone else that Disney cast members are having a lot of fun with this rumour?

I think it probably will happen.

However, I do NOT think that ANY CM has "inside" info much less the valets at CR. They are just repeating the rumor that has been repeated SO MANY times it has become fact.

(As to the monorail...ain't going to happen I was also told by a Disney Executive one time that the "black spot" was NEVER a monorail hole, but a design feature LOL! The "beam" appears to be a myth and the Swan was probaby NEVER going to give up that many hotel rooms)

not as many buses as you would expect - I think I got told 15 buses (might have been 30?)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but there are many, many more buses at Disney than that. In fact, I've seen more than that number just picking up passengers after a busy night at the Magic Kingdom.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but there are many, many more buses at Disney than that. In fact, I've seen more than that number just picking up passengers after a busy night at the Magic Kingdom.

sorry talking about how many buses to replace one monrail train. should have explained better.

I was thinking a 100 - but got told much, much, much less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter