MSC vs DCL?

How did the Oceanview Cabana compare to the cabanas on Castaway Cay? How much closer to the water are the YC Beachfront Cabanas?

I would say they are very comparable for different reasons. The CC cabanas are bit bigger and IMO better furnished. The YC Cabanas are very nice as well. What they do better than Disney is service, you have a cabana butler who is super attentive.

I had a choice of either Oceanview or Beachfront and I chose OV after reading reviews that the OV were more private.

Ocean Cay question: I read online that they stay in port there even after dark up until midnight so you can have sunset, bonfires on the beach and light shows. Prior to the shutdown was this still done or was this something from years ago? Why does DCL not do something like this on CC? Sounds awesome not to have to rush back to be onboard by 4:30p or so from CC. Would be cool if ship didn't leave till midnight and you could chill on beach for a CC sunset.

I believe Ocean Cay opened only last fall. Some itineraries do offer evenings on land.

Unfortunately, our itinerary doesn't (we leave at 6:30 PM).

Our March Seaside YC out of Port Canaveral :dogdance: , if it happens pixiedust:, is scheduled for an OVERNIGHT STAY! Instead of being the last night of the cruise we leave PC Sunday arrive at Ocean Cay 7AM Monday and remain until 6PM Tuesday.

Day 1Sunday, Mar 07 2021Port: Port Canaveral, United StatesArrival: -Departure: 06:00 PM
Day 2Monday, Mar 08 2021Port: Ocean Cay, MSC Marine Res,BahaArrival: 07:00 AMDeparture: -
Day 3Tuesday, Mar 09 2021Port: Ocean Cay, MSC Marine Res,BahaArrival: -Departure: 06:00 PM
Day 4Wednesday, Mar 10 2021Port: At seaArrival: -Departure: -
Day 5Thursday, Mar 11 2021Port: Cozumel, MexicoArrival: 09:00 AMDeparture: 06:00 PM
Day 6Friday, Mar 12 2021Port: Costa Maya, MexicoArrival: 08:00 AMDeparture: 01:00 PM
Day 7Saturday, Mar 13 2021Port: At seaArrival: -Departure: -
Day 8Sunday, Mar 14 2021Port: Port Canaveral, United StatesArrival: 07:00 AMDeparture: -

is scheduled for an OVERNIGHT STAY!

That would be awesome, why does DCL not do this on CC? Also, if things get going and Bahamas is still uneasy, spending significant time on CC may be the only option to us. The risk to the Bahamas would be significantly less porting at CC than porting at Nassau.

Our March Seaside YC out of Port Canaveral :dogdance: , if it happens pixiedust:, is scheduled for an OVERNIGHT STAY! Instead of being the last night of the cruise we leave PC Sunday arrive at Ocean Cay 7AM Monday and remain until 6PM Tuesday.

Day 1Sunday, Mar 07 2021Port: Port Canaveral, United StatesArrival: -Departure: 06:00 PM
Day 2Monday, Mar 08 2021Port: Ocean Cay, MSC Marine Res,BahaArrival: 07:00 AMDeparture: -
Day 3Tuesday, Mar 09 2021Port: Ocean Cay, MSC Marine Res,BahaArrival: -Departure: 06:00 PM
Day 5Thursday, Mar 11 2021Port: Cozumel, MexicoArrival: 09:00 AMDeparture: 06:00 PM
Day 6Friday, Mar 12 2021Port: Costa Maya, MexicoArrival: 08:00 AMDeparture: 01:00 PM
Day 8Sunday, Mar 14 2021Port: Port Canaveral, United StatesArrival: 07:00 AMDeparture: -

I like that itinerary. I'll have to see if it fits our schedule and check pricing. Which YC room category did you book?

Last edited:

My daughter and I are booked on this sailing for her college spring break again, that is if it happens. Leaving from Port Canaveral and the overnight in OC sold me.

I like that itinerary. I'll have to see if it fits our schedule and check pricing. Which YC room category did you book?

I checked the price and there's only one Yacht Club category left, YC1 Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. $6000 for 7 nights doesn't seem too bad, especially after checking the price for a concierge room the March 6th Fantasy.

Nice!!!!!!!

I checked the price and there's only one Yacht Club category left, YC1 Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. $6000 for 7 nights doesn't seem too bad, especially after checking the price for a concierge room the March 6th Fantasy.

YC1 is our cabin. To compare with DCL you have to go to the March 13th Western at $15,683.00

My daughter and I are booked on this sailing for her college spring break again, that is if it happens. Leaving from Port Canaveral and the overnight in OC sold me.

OC OVERNIGHT should be cool and PC is much-Much-MUCH better than Miami.

MSC YC sounds amazing. We have 3 young kids (7,5,2). We like DCL because they allow 5 people in a stateroom.

Do YC suites allow 5 people in a room? Is YC kids friendly? Don’t want to bother other YC guests if it’s geared toward older guests. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ocean Cay question: I read online that they stay in port there even after dark up until midnight so you can have sunset, bonfires on the beach and light shows. Prior to the shutdown was this still done or was this something from years ago? Why does DCL not do something like this on CC? Sounds awesome not to have to rush back to be onboard by 4:30p or so from CC. Would be cool if ship didn't leave till midnight and you could chill on beach for a CC sunset.
OC opened in December of last year. We were the 3rd or 4th set of guests to go. We were supposed to be 7th but or schedule got majorly shifted.

Someone was keeping track on CC of the different ships ability to actually go to OC. The larger ships were hitting it about 50% IIRC. The Armonia was doing better, in the 75% range but she was having engine issues which made for slower travel which meant she had to leave OC early on many stops, which is what happened with ours.

One big complaint among cruisers that had to leave early is that bar service stopped way earlier than it should have. I dont recall the particulars right now but if during normal sailings bar service went until one hour before all aboard, they were shutting down 3 or 4 hours before all aboard. I know the food truck service shut down early. I went to get something at 1 pm and they were already shut down. We never made it to the dining hall but that was scheduled to shut early 12:30 or 1 pm.

Hopefully the PP with the overnight on the Seaside (a larger ship) actually makes it, assuming the ship sails at all by that point.

That would be awesome, why does DCL not do this on CC? Also, if things get going and Bahamas is still uneasy, spending significant time on CC may be the only option to us. The risk to the Bahamas would be significantly less porting at CC than porting at Nassau.
That's because PC is further away from Bahamas than Miami - plus the Dream-class ships have had throttle the speed to counter vibration issues - so most Disney ships need to take off earlier. Magic is the only one currently sailing from Miami and that too seasonally, so they never really invested in having an elaborate evening setup at CC.

Could change with the new ships.

I just want to clarify that not all YC1s hold 5. There is a certain number of them on each ship. I'm referring to the Seaside and Meraviglia. The Seaside has a large number YC1s that sleep 5 than the Meraviglia. I know the Seashore that will be heading to the US in 2021 has a much larger number of YC cabins holds 5.
I haven't ever seen any YC cabins on the Meraviglia-class ships that sleep 5. They do have non-YC family cabins, which are basically two connecting verandahs.

We used YC1 on Seaview last year in the Med, and the cabin was similar in size to Disney's 4A/4B/4C with extra space in the room at the expense of the split bathroom. The decor was modern, and the room very clean. More tech in the room too.

That's because PC is further away from Bahamas than Miami - plus the Dream-class ships have had throttle the speed to counter vibration issues - so most Disney ships need to take off earlier. Magic is the only one currently sailing from Miami and that too seasonally, so they never really invested in having an elaborate evening setup at CC.

Could change with the new ships.

I haven't ever seen any YC cabins on the Meraviglia-class ships that sleep 5. They do have non-YC family cabins, which are basically two connecting verandahs.

We used YC1 on Seaview last year in the Med, and the cabin was similar in size to Disney's 4A/4B/4C with extra space in the room at the expense of the split bathroom. The decor was modern, and the room very clean. More tech in the room too.

Our Dream Concierge cruises were the 1BR cabin outstanding accommodations for sure; HOWEVER, our YC1 experience was simply so much more relaxing and enjoyable that we had no issues with the fewer sq. footage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter