Multiple ADR cr@p mentioned on show

Minnie Lor

<font color=darkorchid>I feel that same comaraderi
I so agree that it's wrong, WRONG to make multiple ADR's for the same day at different parks. I don't agree that Disney should start asking for a deposit.

Years ago, it used to be 90 days out for making PS (another name for ADR's) and then Disney decided to change it to this ridiculous 180 days. I am a major vacation planner/spread sheet queen and it's hard for me to figure out where I'm going to be in 6 months.

The time frame to make ADR's needed to go the other way. <------ I think they would cut down on a lot of the duplicate ADR's and multiple changes by making ADR's 30 days in advance for regular TS restaurants instead of 180. Make it 45 days for signature restaurants. I make my ADR's at the 180 day but usually have to change them for one reason or another 30-60 days ahead.

Disney, are you listening? Here's a good solution.

well, it shows that this will be the last year that Free DDP will be offered. Everyone has figured out the system, ADR's are full... there are massive amounts of people pre booking sept in anticipation for Free DDP. If I were Disney, I'd have to be re-thinking this situation. To steal concepts from another thread on this... I would guess even with the attrition of people that will flat out cancel if Free DDP is not offered enough people that booked in anticipation have already put in for vacation at work, and have non-refundable airline tickets. How good of an incentive do they have to offer for someone to eat that sunk cost?

I agree, I definitely don't think Disney should start charging a deposit for ADR's. At 180 days out they are going to hold that money on your CC for 6 months? That is alot of money even if you book fairly, on a 6 day trip, it could work out to say 8-10 ADR's, can you imagine the total that would be in deposits? I agree people are ridiculous with these reservations, but Disney has to figure out another way. I mean, how about limiting the amount of ADR's you can make? I'm sure they can see when you call when your ADR's are, why can't they say "I'm sorry, you can't book 4 different dinners on the same date." Or seriously....180 days out???? I think maybe 30 isn't enough, but maybe cut it back to 60 days out. Of course people overbook, my plans can change 100 times at 180 days out. It's a shame that something as great as free dining is being jepordized by something as stupid as rude and greedy people. Disney really needs to figure this out, but I don't think deposits are the way to go.

I agree that 180 days is way to far out! Instead of a deposit, what do you think of a no show fee like they do at the signature restaurants? They take your credit card # and if you do not show or cancel 24 hours in advance, your credit card is charged $20 per person. Maybe only $10 for a regular sit down. That way, I think prople would limit their reservations and cancel them and make them available to guests without reservations.

I agree that 180 days is way to far out! Instead of a deposit, what do you think of a no show fee like they do at the signature restaurants? They take your credit card # and if you do not show or cancel 24 hours in advance, your credit card is charged $20 per person. Maybe only $10 for a regular sit down. That way, I think prople would limit their reservations and cancel them and make them available to guests without reservations.

honestly, this sounds so much more logical and reasonable than any current or proposed option. i get charged if i schedule a doctor's appt and don't show or call, and i am betting others out there do to. having a similar system for WDW dining reservations would not be as much of an inconvenience or mess as precharging a deposit. so do i get that deposit back if i cancel the reservation? even at the last minute?

I'd be in support of a tiered deposit system. You want to book 90-180 days out? You pay XX% in a deposit. 60-90 days? Smaller deposit. Wanna book for sooner than 60 days? No deposit. Wanna eat at Wolfgang Puck's? We'll pay you.

Also, does it stand to reason that if you can't decide which of 4 restaurants you want to eat in on a given night, because you're not sure "where you'll end up", you basically suck at planning?? ;) For the love of Bawb...

Lobsters,
ExBellhop

Another thing with the deposit thing is there are SO many things that could happen to make you miss an ADR. I mean, legitimate things that happen so that you miss an ADR that you had every intention of going to.

Say you have an ADR at Crystal Palace and you just can't get on a bus? This has happened to me. We gave ourselves plenty of time, but bus after bus went by the stop because they were already full. Or what if you are on a bus to your ADR and the bus breaks down? Not your fault, nothing you can about it and you lose the deposit? :confused3

Or you have an ADR after a BBB appointment and they are late getting you into your BBB appointment and then the appointment runs long? What do you do? Yank your child out of the chair at BBB so you don't lose your ADR deposit?

What if you get stuck on a ride and miss your ADR? (true this doesn't happen often, but it happens)

There are a ton of things that could happen that are out of your control and Disney would HAVE to have a plan in place to handle these situations before they think about taking deposits.

I so agree that it's wrong, WRONG to make multiple ADR's for the same day at different parks. I don't agree that Disney should start asking for a deposit.

Years ago, it used to be 90 days out for making PS (another name for ADR's) and then Disney decided to change it to this ridiculous 180 days. I am a major vacation planner/spread sheet queen and it's hard for me to figure out where I'm going to be in 6 months.

The time frame to make ADR's needed to go the other way. <------ I think they would cut down on a lot of the duplicate ADR's and multiple changes by making ADR's 30 days in advance for regular TS restaurants instead of 180. Make it 45 days for signature restaurants. I make my ADR's at the 180 day but usually have to change them for one reason or another 30-60 days ahead.

Disney, are you listening? Here's a good solution.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person who thinks that 180 days out is too long. And while I'm here... I also don't like the new system of booking adrs for your whole trip on one day. Why did they do that anyway? Where all these changes in some way tied into the DDP? I'd like to see Disney go back to the old system where folks needed to call on a specific day - and make it either 90 or 60 days out.

They already take deposits for several of the popular places...why not all of them??

Can I play the annoying devil's advocate guy? Please???

Say you have an ADR at Crystal Palace and you just can't get on a bus? This has happened to me. We gave ourselves plenty of time, but bus after bus went by the stop because they were already full. Or what if you are on a bus to your ADR and the bus breaks down? Not your fault, nothing you can about it and you lose the deposit? :confused3

If a meal was planned at the Crystal Palace, make the Magic Kingdom the park you visit that day.

Or you have an ADR after a BBB appointment and they are late getting you into your BBB appointment and then the appointment runs long? What do you do? Yank your child out of the chair at BBB so you don't lose your ADR deposit?

This one I'm not sure about, as I have never had the BBB experience. Do they often get SUPER far behind? Don't book an ADR within 3+ hours of BBB? I dunno on that one :)

What if you get stuck on a ride and miss your ADR? (true this doesn't happen often, but it happens)

There are a ton of things that could happen that are out of your control and Disney would HAVE to have a plan in place to handle these situations before they think about taking deposits.

I absolutely think a plan would be in place for "acts out of one's control". But then, Disney can often surprise with their bizarre approach to things that seem to have a simple solution.

Just thoughts,
ExBellhop

They already take deposits for several of the popular places...why not all of them??

Which ones do they already take deposits on? We go to alot of the popular places and I've never been asked for a deposit.

If a meal was planned at the Crystal Palace, make the Magic Kingdom the park you visit that day.

Oh, c'mon...so I plan a pool day at the resort and I shouldn't make a dinner ADR for fear I won't make it there for some reason?

Hey! I know, they could give CM's little "excuse" pads to carry around and they could fill them out for you to give for missing ADR's. Like the doctors give you for missing work or school! :rotfl:

I was there in Feb and had to give a credit card # for my California Grill and CRT reservation. No show or no cancel 24 hours before $20.00 pp charge. I was not on the Dining plan and did not make alot of ARD's. I ended up cancelling CRT 1 day before because we decided that we sould rather go to Epcot that day so some lucky person got a last minuite seat at the Cindy Breakfast. You can be sure that I planned so I did not miss my California Grill Date night!!

When we were discussing this topic....we were not referring to the folks that make a reservation and then cant make it for whatever reason.

We were talking about the folks that make multiple reservations for convenience, meaning that they can't decide where they want to eat...or which park they might be in.

I cant think of any Disney restaurant that actually takes a deposit. There are several which require a credit card hold...and personally....I have no problem with that.

There are several restaurants in Orlando that do that, especially on holidays.

If you want a reservation for Mother's Day brunch at one of the nicer places....you will most likely need to leave a credit card deposit.

Most places require a 24 hour cancellation. This allows the restaurant to release the table to another guest.

I think actually taking a deposit would be a logistical nightmare, but a credit card hold seems like a good way to curb those making multiple reservations.

When we were discussing this topic....we were not referring to the folks that make a reservation and then cant make it for whatever reason.

We were talking about the folks that make multiple reservations for convenience, meaning that they can't decide where they want to eat...or which park they might be in.

I cant think of any Disney restaurant that actually takes a deposit. There are several which require a credit card hold...and personally....I have no problem with that.

There are several restaurants in Orlando that do that, especially on holidays.

If you want a reservation for Mother's Day brunch at one of the nicer places....you will most likely need to leave a credit card deposit.

Most places require a 24 hour cancellation. This allows the restaurant to release the table to another guest.

I think actually taking a deposit would be a logistical nightmare, but a credit card hold seems like a good way to curb those making multiple reservations.

I knew what you guys meant...the greedy people who make multiple ADR's, but in putting in a deposit or even credit card hold policy how could Disney know the difference between those people and the person who had every intention of going to their ADR, but missed it because their kid got sick on Space Mountain?

The thing with a Mother's Day brunch, is it's only 1 reservation and it's at home, where you have more control, so chances are pretty good you will either make it or know you aren't going to make it in enough time to cancel.

But on vacation? And you have to make ADR's for each day and how can you know you will make all of them? I agree a credit card hold is a MUCH better idea than a deposit, but even a 24 hour cancellation policy at Disney would be tough. There are just so many variables and things that can happen that you wouldn't know about 24 hours ahead of time. I just think too many people who are fair and well intentioned with their ADR's would suffer charges along with the greedy and rude reservers who are causing this discussion to begin with.

I still think 30 or even 60 days would cut out alot of crud that people do. Sure would make it easier on me. I'm blessed to take three trips in the span of 11 months. :banana: But it makes it hard to plan because I need to be planning my next trip (and therefore ADR's) before I go on my upcoming trip.

For example:
I had a trip in December but I also had to plan my May trip in November.
I have a trip in May but I need to also plan ahead for my trip in October.
It can get a little crazy.

you don't have to attach your ADRs to your reservation, and you can use multiple phone numbers... there are ways to stack reservations. it doesn't make it any less fair, or un fair... but I just bet the number of rooms that can be attached to free DDP this year are going to be greatly reduced.

I knew what you guys meant...the greedy people who make multiple ADR's, but in putting in a deposit or even credit card hold policy how could Disney know the difference between those people and the person who had every intention of going to their ADR, but missed it because their kid got sick on Space Mountain?

The thing with a Mother's Day brunch, is it's only 1 reservation and it's at home, where you have more control, so chances are pretty good you will either make it or know you aren't going to make it in enough time to cancel.

But on vacation? And you have to make ADR's for each day and how can you know you will make all of them? I agree a credit card hold is a MUCH better idea than a deposit, but even a 24 hour cancellation policy at Disney would be tough. There are just so many variables and things that can happen that you wouldn't know about 24 hours ahead of time. I just think too many people who are fair and well intentioned with their ADR's would suffer charges along with the greedy and rude reservers who are causing this discussion to begin with.

It's my opinion...and it's only an opinion...but I dont think Disney is after the folks who's kid developed a fever or the folks who missed the bus (literally...not figuratively).

I think Disney is trying to curb the folks abusing the system...leaving empty tables in busy restaurants and denying others the chance to eat where they want.

I've told this story before.....John and I tried to get an ADR at Spoodles for that day. We were told the restaurant was booked and no tables were available for the rest of the day.

We decided to try a "walk up" and were seated immediately in an EMPTY restaurant. In speaking with the Mgr...we learned that they expect this. If the day is nice and cool...people dont show up because they are having too good a time to stop. If it's rainy...people dont show up because it's rainy and they dont want to walk in the rain. You get the idea....

Now...just out of sheer tenacity and an understanding of Disney's very quirky system, plus we could always go elsewhere....we got to eat where we wanted to eat. How many guests were turned away...or turned off by a supposedly full restaurant in the middle of the day and the middle of the week? Disney will never tell us...but I'm guessing their currrent system allows for a loss of revenue that Disney doesnt like.

Again...this is just an opinion.

Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter