Multiple ADR cr@p mentioned on show

All ADRs should be limited to 1/person/timeslot. I hate the fact that months before my vacation I need to be stressed about where I want to eat dinner on some random day in the future.
I know you could-and many people would game the system. Different telephone numbers, different credit cards etc. But it would not be that hard to perform the necessary data lookups to find out that Tim and Sue Jones both made reservations, but their credit card billing address is the same. How much would it cost? I do not know-less than the cost of empty tables-maybe.
I don't like ADR pressure and I really do not like the DDP!

Which ones do they already take deposits on? We go to alot of the popular places and I've never been asked for a deposit.

I have a reservation at the Cali Grill in May and they took my CC# to act as a deposit. They didn't charge anything on it, but if I no show or cancel within 24hours, they said that they will charge my card a fee. Can't remember the exact amount it was something like $20 or $10pp for a table of 4?!? Since my hubby's expense account is paying for this dinner, there is NO WAY I am going to miss this meal and didn't really worry what the deposit policy is! :banana: Cali Grill on someone else's tab!!! :cheer2:

I cant think of any Disney restaurant that actually takes a deposit. There are several which require a credit card hold...and personally....I have no problem with that.

There are several restaurants in Orlando that do that, especially on holidays.

If you want a reservation for Mother's Day brunch at one of the nicer places....you will most likely need to leave a credit card deposit.

Most places require a 24 hour cancellation. This allows the restaurant to release the table to another guest.

I think actually taking a deposit would be a logistical nightmare, but a credit card hold seems like a good way to curb those making multiple reservations.

I agree! No reason why a CC# cannot be held with a no-show fee or a fee for canceling too close to the reservation (24 hours?).

--Daneen

you don't have to attach your ADRs to your reservation, and you can use multiple phone numbers... there are ways to stack reservations. it doesn't make it any less fair, or un fair... but I just bet the number of rooms that can be attached to free DDP this year are going to be greatly reduced.

I see a much needed enhancement request to be filed with Disney IT against their reservation system :rotfl:

--Daneen

I have a reservation at the Cali Grill in May and they took my CC# to act as a deposit. They didn't charge anything on it, but if I no show or cancel within 24hours, they said that they will charge my card a fee. Can't remember the exact amount it was something like $20 or $10pp for a table of 4?!? Since my hubby's expense account is paying for this dinner, there is NO WAY I am going to miss this meal and didn't really worry what the deposit policy is! :banana: Cali Grill on someone else's tab!!! :cheer2:

Thats exactly what I meant. They take a CC# and hold your ressie in case you don't show or cancel 24 hr in advance. Maybe not a true "deposit" but pOtatoe potAtoe....

I think a credit card guarantee is the way to go for Disney. If you make a reservation and don't show up or cancel they should charge the credit card. Of course, they should not charge people if they arrive late at the restaurant.

Maybe they should also only reserve 50% of the capacity of some of the more popular restaurants and save the other 50% for walk-ins.

I never even knew that people did this sort of thing. I guess I never thought to do something like that call me naieve (sp). It does sort of mess things up for people who are OCD planners like me and cant get into places due to this behavior. I dont have any idea how they would stop it though.

lol :) I don't think that is working quite the way you meant it to... but I have had quite the amusing time sitting here saying it the way that it was typed ;)

ExBellhop

Then my mission is a success :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

When it comes to dining at Disney, I really don't like where things have gone.
Since the DDP came into existence, I never feel comfortable not having an ADR somewhere, for fear of not getting a table for a decent sit down meal, even though I am not using the DDP.
I am usually there at relatively low attendance times, but still obsess about having an ADR. I wish I knew more about how the setup works. Do they leave a certain percentage of tables for walk ups or do they take ADRs to fill the entire restaurant?
I have never double booked ADRs and wouldn't. But it seems like those that do will find a way around it.
As far as taking a deposit... if I was planning on a special restaurant, whatever it takes.
But what if for the majority of the restaurants, or at least the ones in the parks, they just went to first come, first served?

I wouldn't mind a credit card guarantee, especially for the signature restaurants, if I were getting a real reservation. They may have changed the name to ADR, but it's still only a priority seating system. When I show up at the podium I'm just put into the queue with all the other PS guests and I still have to wait... sometimes quite a while.

I understand why Disney does this, obviously there are a huge number of no-shows and they want to keep the tables full. The DDR, and particularly free dining, just encourages people to game the system and makes it worse for everyone. However, I object to paying a no-show fee if they are going to fill the table anyway. When I guarantee a hotel room to a credit card and my room is not available when I show up they will comp my night's stay at another property. Will Disney give me a free meal if I have to wait to be seated?

It's my opinion...and it's only an opinion...but I dont think Disney is after the folks who's kid developed a fever or the folks who missed the bus (literally...not figuratively).

I think Disney is trying to curb the folks abusing the system...leaving empty tables in busy restaurants and denying others the chance to eat where they want.

I've told this story before.....John and I tried to get an ADR at Spoodles for that day. We were told the restaurant was booked and no tables were available for the rest of the day.

We decided to try a "walk up" and were seated immediately in an EMPTY restaurant. In speaking with the Mgr...we learned that they expect this. If the day is nice and cool...people dont show up because they are having too good a time to stop. If it's rainy...people dont show up because it's rainy and they dont want to walk in the rain. You get the idea....

Now...just out of sheer tenacity and an understanding of Disney's very quirky system, plus we could always go elsewhere....we got to eat where we wanted to eat. How many guests were turned away...or turned off by a supposedly full restaurant in the middle of the day and the middle of the week? Disney will never tell us...but I'm guessing their currrent system allows for a loss of revenue that Disney doesnt like.

Again...this is just an opinion.

Kevin

ITA, I'm sure Disney is not at all after well intentioned people who miss their ADR for a variety of legitimate reasons. However, if you put something in place like a credit card hold it would have to apply to everyone, so what would your re-course be if you missed an ADR if you kid was sick or you missed the bus? Knowing Disney, you'd have to jump through hoops not to be charged or have the charged reversed.

I am by no means opposed to Disney doing something about the problem. I think it's ridiculous what some people do, making many multi-reservations, leaving places empty because people were told reservations were full. I just think they need to find a way that doesn't penalize people who are trying to do it the right way.

Not sure what that "way" is of course, but there you go.

I will probably get flamed and many may disagree, but I think there should be a mandatory non refundable deposit (at least $25) for ADR's. Maybe the no-shows would stop.

It really ticks me off when we try to book somewhere to go eat months in advance and they tell us that they restaurant is full. When we go to WDW we go check the restaurant and there are empty tables all over the place.

If people make a reservation, they really should hold true or not make it to begin with so that others may enjoy.

YMMV.

I think there are a few seperate problems that are being lumped together as one...but are in fact seperate problems that need seperate solutions..

People who double book

People who are no shows

People who plan last minute trips

We have done the DDP the past two yrs we have made over a weeks worth of ressies for each and only swithced one ressie on the first trip and cancelled one ressie on the second.

We will be going for 19 day this trip and I am glad to know my ressies are made and that Disney is giving me the opportunity to plan them in advance since I have commited to them by booking my vacation early

I would hate to have to wait until 60 days out to make my ADR's... image how difficult it would be to get through... there would be an extra 120 days worth of callers all trying to get through at the same time... this way it is spread out and there is very little wait time.

I do think that doublebooking and missing ressies for no good reason is wrong, but I also don't want to be the part of the majority that gets penalized because of the minority of those who do wrong.

well, it shows that this will be the last year that Free DDP will be offered. Everyone has figured out the system, ADR's are full... there are massive amounts of people pre booking sept in anticipation for Free DDP. If I were Disney, I'd have to be re-thinking this situation. To steal concepts from another thread on this... I would guess even with the attrition of people that will flat out cancel if Free DDP is not offered enough people that booked in anticipation have already put in for vacation at work, and have non-refundable airline tickets. How good of an incentive do they have to offer for someone to eat that sunk cost?

you don't have to attach your ADRs to your reservation, and you can use multiple phone numbers... there are ways to stack reservations. it doesn't make it any less fair, or un fair... but I just bet the number of rooms that can be attached to free DDP this year are going to be greatly reduced.

I'm not sure what makes you think that this would cause Disney to discontinue "Free Dining"? :confused3

Disney has taken a very slow time of the year and they have turned it into a "busy" time. Empty hotels, theme parks, and resturants mean they are loosing $$$. So just by discounting the package a little more than usual it doesn't mean they are loosing money because of it. In fact the oppsite is true.

People making multiple reservations is a bunch of B. S. ! :furious: !

I don't think that a deposit would solve the problem though. It would stop the people making multiple ADR's but would also hurt the "average" vacationer that misses an ADR because of a sick child or something like that.

I do agree that decreasing the number of days out you can book an ADR would help. Currently you can sometimes book a restaurant before you even know the park hours or Extra Magic Hours. How can you plan not knowing that info?:confused3 This is especially true with the 180+10 rule. If you reduced the 180 day window down to 60 days or 30 days and removed the +10 rule people would have a much better idea where they would be and there would be less chance of the park hours changing and people needing to change there plans.

Since were on the subject... another reason (the main reason) I dislike the 180+10 rule is because if you call to get a popular ADR (like CRT or LeCellier) on exactly 180 days out from when you want it, it can already be booked. This can really hurt you if you are taking the "average" week long trip. Just because someone is checking in before you doesn't mean they should have an advantage in getting into a restaurant before you. I realize it is suppose to be more convenient but they could just give us an 800 number and less prompts and that would be more convenient.

What was Disney's reasoning for bumping out ADR's to 180 days out? Was it because of all the frenzy around CRT?

Well I definitely think a cc deposit would do the trick. If you're able to cancel 24 or 48 hours in advance, then that's fine. Like a few other people have been saying, some restaurants already do this, as well as doctors offices, etc!

Not showing up does allow for last second walk ups to be able to eat, but I know I personally don't walk up to any restaurant usually since I've already called and was told they're booked.

If people miss their reservation for some unforseen circumstances, then... I don't really know? Most people have cell phones. If you're stuck on a bus, or your kid gets sick, it doesn't take that long to call Disney dining or the restaurant itself and talk to a manager. I'm sure there can be a case by case basis where they can wiave the cc fee. Yes, its more work for you but, that's the joy of Disney making their dining plan so popular :)

I don't think they charge your card unless you are a no show. CRT did charge my card though.

I think the CC hold is being used effectively already. I know I had the sick issue once at Disney a few years ago. I called inside the 24 hr cancellation period and they didn't have a problem cancelling my ressie and not charging me for it. I think the few "issues" can be delt with and still maintain a CC hold. I guess if people want to call and cancel their double book ressies and lie about being sick or stuck then so be it. At least the spot will be know to be open for walkups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter