• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must Do's for First Timers (And possibly only timers)

LoKiHB

Mouseketeer
We have been 5 times in the last 6 years. Next summer we are taking our extended family (2 adults and 2 boys 10 and 9 at the time).

For us, we have our favorites and must do's, so looking for some unbiased (at least to us) opinions on must do dining for a family of first timers that may not be returning for some time.

TYIA.

We have been 5 times in the last 6 years. Next summer we are taking our extended family (2 adults and 2 boys 10 and 9 at the time).

For us, we have our favorites and must do's, so looking for some unbiased (at least to us) opinions on must do dining for a family of first timers that may not be returning for some time.

TY
Hoop Dee Doo
Sci Fi
Coral Reef if the love fish
Via Napoli if the are into pizza
Boma or Tusker House
Garden View is fun since it revolves

TYIA.
Sci-Fi would be the only 'must-do' I'd recommend for young boys.....and I own a convertible and have a Drive-in Theater in my home town.

Be Our Guest - notably, for dinner, to meet The Beast.

I would say character dining is a must--Tusker House would be a good one.

For me, other must-do location options would include 50s Prime Time and anything in World Showcase. If anyone is a fan of watching fishes, Coral Reef obviously would be on the list.

I'm betting on some sort of Star Wars dining option at Studios by next summer. For boys that age I would keep my eyes on something like that. Sci Fi and 50's Prime Time sound good, too.

HDDR for sure. It's a true Disney experience.
Any of the fireworks shows are must do's and the popular rides.

Ohana is my only "must do" for a family group. I like Whispering Canyon too.

The past two trips, we enjoyed Yak & Yeti quite a bit. Good food, a happy vibe and professional service. Two weeks ago, my Kobe burger topped with smoked Gouda and shiitake mushrooms was outstanding. Probably the most delicious thing I ate in 2017 so far. :)

We had a great experience at Be Our Guest dinner, and it was a tough ADR to score. But worth the trouble for our big family group. :)

My boys adored Hoop de Doo Revue, Sci Fi, Prime Time, Yak n Yeti, and Via Napoli. They were 9 and 17 at the time. Runners up included Rainforest Café at AK and inside the pyramid in Mexico. We toured super hard and never went back to the resort, so sit down meals were super important on that trip since it gave them downtime.

Ohana dinner, would be my first choice. I agree that HDDR is also good. Also, maybe one of the character meals if the kids would still enjoy it at their age.

TYIA.

I would do Disney-unique restaurants. With 9 and 10 year old boys, I think one character meal would be enough and I would probably do Chef Mickey's (though the food isn't great) so they can meet the Fab Five, see the monorail go through CR - it's a quintessential WDW experience. In DHS, I would bring them to Sci-Fi, again, a really uniquely-themed experience. In EP, consider Biergarten. In MK, maybe Skipper Canteen. AK, Yak & Yeti is good or do QS at Satul'i.

For resort dining, my DS10 LOVES Whispering Canyon - he thinks it's hysterical! He also loves HDDR. O'hana is also fun and unique. If you do O'hana, I highly recommend going to Trader Sam's beforehand (go when they open at 4 pm to get a seat!). They have really cool special effects and antics and you don't even have to order the expensive drinks. DS10 and I go and just order mocktails ($4.99!) and watch the effects.

On an EP day (or on a separate night), you may also want to take them to the Boardwalk to see the entertainment, play the carnival games and get Ample Hills ice cream.

Beaches and Cream-Beach Club (get the kitchen sink)
Sci Fi
Nine Dragons in Epcot

We did B&C either our last trip or the one prior, I don't recall. It was SO much ice cream...
LOVE Sci-Fi. Something about the ambiance in places that make you feel like you're outdoors at night - Sci-Fi, Biergarten, even San Angel, even though I'm not a fan of the food.

I think Nine Dragons would be lost on both families. We live on Long Island, and I feel like we'd be hard pressed to find better Chinese.

I'm betting on some sort of Star Wars dining option at Studios by next summer. For boys that age I would keep my eyes on something like that. Sci Fi and 50's Prime Time sound good, too.

In the words of Chandler Bing.... Star Wars dining would be perfection.

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations. In all our trips, we've never done Hoop Dee Do. We've meant to, just never got around to it. I think this would be the perfect time.

HS Day: Prime Time or Sci Fi Dine In
MK Day: BOG Dinner or boat over for Hoop De Doo
Epcot Day: Any of the World Showcase TS Restaurants. Via Napoli for pizza or San Angel in the Mexico Pyramid (ride the ride first).
AK Day: Rainforest Cafe for lunch maybe? I would do dinner at Boma at AKL. The resort is so beautiful.

There are just so many options. My suggestions were for atmosphere, entertainment and family friendly food.

I'm in the exact same situation, taking a family of first timers on our Nov trip. We chose:

MK - CRT (because they have a princess lover in the family)
HS - Sci Fi (such a fun, unique experience)
AK - TH (needto do at least one character meal)
Epcot - no ADR, planning to snack around WS

I also think Ohana, Chef Mickeys, and HDDR are great choices for first timers.

I'm in the exact same situation, taking a family of first timers on our Nov trip. We chose:

MK - CRT (because they have a princess lover in the family)
HS - Sci Fi (such a fun, unique experience)
AK - TH (needto do at least one character meal)
Epcot - no ADR, planning to snack around WS

I also think Ohana, Chef Mickeys, and HDDR are great choices for first timers.

Great plan!

I think we'll skip CRT unless my Wife and Sister insist. My little on (below) as you can see was a HUGE Princess fan during our last trip. I found the atmosphere more relaxed, and the food to be great at Akershus more to our family's style.
I've been to Tusker House once, for lunch, and loved it.
I personally found O'Hana to be overrated :duck:- but would do it again for first timers.

Great plan!

I think we'll skip CRT unless my Wife and Sister insist. My little on (below) as you can see was a HUGE Princess fan during our last trip. I found the atmosphere more relaxed, and the food to be great at Akershus more to our family's style.
I've been to Tusker House once, for lunch, and loved it.
I personally found O'Hana to be overrated :duck:- but would do it again for first timers.
I am so with you on Ohana! It was one and done for us, but we would take first timers there just for the atmosphere and chance to explore the Poly. The food....not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter