Must read for parents- What if I am accidentally raising a bully?

The mom sounds like a nut. Just because her kid didn't want to play with another kid does not make her a bully.

The mom sounds like a nut. Just because her kid didn't want to play with another kid does not make her a bully.

I think her point was that the freezing out of Bethany by her daughters clique was what made her daughter a bully in her eyes. It reminded of a grade school version of Mean Girls.

People overuse the word bullying. I don't think her daughter was bullying. In my school years we would have called her stuck-up. Certainly not an admirable trait, but not bullying. I'm glad she did something about it. I was always near the bottom of the social ladder in school and it really sucked.

I wouldn't call it bullying but definitely unkind. I like what the mother did. In the end it benefited her daughter and probably a host of other kids.

I agree.

Her daughter wasn't bullying the other girl, but she was being unkind. And, perhaps, it was the "beginning of a subtle type of bullying" (as quoted in the article) or "mean girl" behavior.

While the mother in the article was a little too "pat myself on the shoulder" for me, I did really like a couple of her points:

It’s simply not enough to instruct your children to, “Be Nice!” You’ve got to be more specific than that. Kids think if they aren’t being outright unkind, they are being nice.

Being "not un-nice" is different from being kind.

We “helicopter” over our kids’ wardrobes, nutrition, sleep schedules, hygiene, science fair projects and then pride ourselves on how “hands off” we are on social issues.

I think this is true too. Sometimes, as parents, we're too "hands-off" w/ our kids when it comes to how they're dealing w/ certain situations & relationships. They're kids. They don't instinctively know how to handle everything & everyone. And, while we want to let them learn & experience on their own, I think they do benefit from a little of our guidance as well.

I found the article too long and the author/mom a little too look at me I'm awesome, but i agree with the message (though not necessarily the way she went about it). She kinda bullied her daughter into befriending this kid. IMO threatening to not take her to school was over the top. Not everyone is going to be someone you want to he friends with, but it certainly doesn't excuse being unkind.

A group I belong to on Facebook posted this and I just didn't see bully there, I think the mom was looking for pats on the back here. I do think her daughter was being a 'not very nice person', but I didn't see bully at all. She definitely needed to step in a little but all the things she did were beyond ridiculous and her daughter will remember that and share a little less with her next time.

A group I belong to on Facebook posted this and I just didn't see bully there, I think the mom was looking for pats on the back here. I do think her daughter was being a 'not very nice person', but I didn't see bully at all. She definitely needed to step in a little but all the things she did were beyond ridiculous and her daughter will remember that and share a little less with her next time.
According to the article the daughter is in her 20's now and apparently it all worked out.:rolleyes:

And isn't the entire point of knowing what's going on in our kid's lives so that we can guide, influence and yes, even discipline them? The idea that they can "share" openly without input is just silly. It's a parent's job (especially in the early years - these kids were about 10) to step in if necessary when information comes to light.

Last edited:
What seems little to us, as adults, is huge to kids.

My DD had an experience in second grade when she was the one that was excluded. A little girl on the cheerleading team passed out gum to everybody except DD. when DD held her hand out for her piece, the girl had one piece left so instead of giving it to DD, she kept it for herself. DDs feelings were hurt and she let the words fly, "I hate you!"

The next day, at the bus stop, the girl's mother confronted me that my DD had hurt the feelings of her DD with her words. My response to the mother was that both girls were wrong. Her DD excluded mine which resulted in my DD saying what she said. I agree that what my DD said was hurtful, the other mother did not agree that excluding mine was hurtful as well. I told the mother I would talk to DD, and I did.

Later, the other mother wanted to get our girls together to play, but, my DD didn't have any desire to play with this girl. I completely supported her choice. After all, following the incident involving the gum, I told DD that she has to be kind to others but she doesn't have to be friends with somebody who treats her badly.

To this day, that instruction has stood the test of time. DD is not a "victim" of the mean girls. She is also not a mean girl herself. The other girl, who years ago excluded mine, is now firmly in the mean girl clique. She has, herself been the target of exclusion at times, but was never taught that she has the power to turn her back on people that treat her that way. She continues to desire inclusion in this group.

Lol, I know this because, believe it or not, her mother and I are friends, our girls are kind to each other, and mine has, on occasion, stood up for hers. But they still are not "friends"...meaning they are not in the same crowd. And I'm ok with that.

After all, following the incident involving the gum, I told DD that she has to be kind to others but she doesn't have to be friends with somebody who treats her badly.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I don't have any problems with my kids just being nice.
All the things she did? She talked to her daughter and asked her to give someone a chance by finding out three things about her. Ridiculous?

I think calling the other girls mother a couple times is a bit over the top.
I'm ok with my kids just being nice to someone, and I don't think excluding someone you don't like to be not nice. We adults are free to associate with who we want and I extend that to my kids. I'm not going to force them to be friends with someone. That doesn't mean I would tolerate making fun of, name calling, taunting and actual bullying, it just means I would tell my kids that if they don't want to play or hang out with someone they don't have too. Would it be nice if they really got to know someone before making that decision, yes. Would I make them do that, no.
I definitely wouldn't be stepping in and calling parents or threatening to not drive my kid into school if they didn't agree to my terms. I'm guessing that is what the pp meant about all the things the mom of the article did.

I think A LOT of people don't know what the term "bully" actually means.
I think it means different things to different people. Would people be happier if other people used different terms like, harassing, belittling, snubbing, etc? All wrong and hurtful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter