My Bubble Has Burst

lfw

PsychoMama
Looks like after 8 months of planning and dreaming, my Disney holiday will be postponed. One of the families that was travelling with us has had reality bite them in the backside, and has cancelled out. They had no idea how expensive the trip would be, and once they started adding it up, realized that they couldn't do this trip in Feb, the summer holiday they had already commited to, and buy a house next year. The other family is also having some money issues, and will have to opt out as well. We could still go ourselves, but to be honest, a big part of the excitement for me was the thought of the camaraderie around the pool, sharing our day's adventure. After some discussion, we have pretty much decided to take the money we've been saving and buy a tent trailer in the spring. I'm still going to watch the seat sales, and at least without the others along I could use Priceline if we decided to make a cheap trip. I'm disappointed, but out voted, and I can't really insist on spending all that money on a trip that is way more important to me than it is to the rest of the family, when it could go towards something we've been planning on buying for a couple of years, that the whole family will enjoy for a lot longer than a week. Maybe there will be an awesome seat sale and we'll be able to do both!

Hmmm, how about buying that camper and going to Disney's camp ground- Ft. Wilderness!!!

Grover in Winnipeg
:)

So sorry to hear about your trip cancellation. I'd be very disappointed too :( One bright side may be to drive your tent trailer down to WDW and camp at Fort Wilderness - I hear it's pretty reasonable! Personally, I'd go without the other families and enjoy time with your family and do things your way. I've read so many posts about people travelling with other families/couples and they run into so many issues on where to go, when to go, where to eat, people being on time etc.!

I agree with Jo-Anne...I'm one who has had a terrible experience (and has posted about it) travelling with others . I'll never do it again. You're open to way too many complications. I think Disney is a vacation spot best done by one family - alone. It would be OK to meet up the odd time for a meal or to sit by the pool, but there is so much to see & do and it is so huge that you're much better off going alone.

If your family wants to go to WDW then I'd definitely consider a vacation on your own. However, if they're not too interested, then maybe the camper would be a better idea. The last thing you need is to spend lots of money on a vacation that no-one is really that excited about. Only you know what's best for your family.

I hope you do get to WDW sometime though...it's sooooo much fun.

Sorry to hear that your friends won't be going BUT I'd still be going with just my family.:D Sometimes (as Lisa has stated) it's much better to go alone as you and your family have similar tastes in what to see and what to do in the parks etc. When you're with others it can become confusing as we all have different tastes........but boy I'd still be heading down with or without the others! ;)

As the above posters have said buy that camper and head down to FW!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

That sucks. You should plan your own trip! I can understand that the huge expense of WDW will stop plans, but we looked at a trip out west for 12 days and it would cost us about $6000. WDW costs us about $7000 for the same amount of time. Honestly, I prefer WDW! S

We've travelled with friends and without friends, and quite honestly, we prefer travelling as a family. We had the experience when we travelled with other families that everyone had their own schedules and what they wanted to do. In the end, either we'd spend very limited time together as a group or we end up not doing what we'd prefer to do that day. We've also had the frustration of having to wait for friends who were chronically late and held up everyone who were eager to get into the park.

As a family, we had the perfect pace. We did what we wanted, when we wanted, and never needed to wait for anyone.

Don't get me wrong, though; it's nice to travel with friends but when it's such a $pricey$ trip to WDW, you need to make sure you make the most of your trip.

If you do get your tent trailer, you get to experience something different at WDW--Fort Wilderness!!! Lucky you! DH and I would love to do that but can't...we live on the West Coast and have 2 small DDs...the driving would be hell on them and us!!!

Sorry to hear about your cancellation. While I understand your feelings, I agree with some of the other people that travelling with just your family may be better. Last year we travelled with other people and it was the worst trip ever. I'll never do it again either. On our next trip, we're meeting up with friends for 2 of the 14 days and that's all I could handle! Camping may be lots of fun for you! We stayed in Fort Wilderness many, many times and loved it. No doubt you'll have fun in whatever you decide!

I know what cancelling a long-planned trip feels like as I have done so in the past :( ... just look at it as switching one dream for another and dream about Disney in the future! :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter