My Disney Store is closing.......

bethie

DIS Veteran
I am so sad. I live in Yorktown, Virginia and the nearest DS is in Hampton. It is closing. The lease is up and apparently it is not doing too well either. Our local newspaper listed that Disney is closing quite a few of their stores due to lack of sales. UGH! I am going to miss that place. :(

i live in Kenosha, WI and the DS about 20 minutes away has closed also. Now I have to travel about 40 minutes to get to the nearest DS. We are not a small community either, 90, 000 people!

I am so sorry! I was starting to worry about ours in ct (west farms mall) they have been having lots of sales and moving lots of merchandise. The manager has said that they are not affected at this time. So I ma glad to say my store is staying! (At least for noew!)

Sorry to hear yours is closing!

Mine is closing, too! :( I'll miss having it. It was a great place to get my Disney fix when my WDW trip was far away.

I live in Hampton Roads and have a little more information concerning the closing. From what I have been told, the closing has to do with Mall management. The disney store is one of the more profitable ones in our area. I am very sorry to see it go. I have made a lot of friends among CM's and customers. I WILL MISS YOU HAMPTON DISNEY STORE!!!

Last edited:
Aero99,

What are we going to do! I guess trek on over to the Chesapeake Square mall location. It is such a bummer.

I know what you mean. I was so bummed, last week I went to my local DS in Springfield, VA and found it gone. Windows had been painted over and plastic over the door. I'm hoping the one in Fredericksburg doesn't get axed next......

Luvdisney,

Have you ever been to the one at Potomac Mills? I really want to go. How is it?

I used to work next to TDS at Springfield and got to be buddies with one of the mgrs. According to her (and this was over a year ago), that store was the lowest producer in all of NoVA. Disney was giving them some slack b/c of all of the construction, but she didn't know how long that would last.

That gallery store in West Farms, CT is not closing any time soon. The stores in the state did very well, overall, with the sale of the pins. The one in Meriden was neurotic every Saturday morning!

In my opinion, Disney is just not catering to the widest audience, and it is focusing on the locals in Florida. They get the nice perks and discounts. If it does not improve, those may be the only ones keeping up the business in the end, if they aren't already...

Bethie,

The Disney store at Potomac Mills isn't part of the Disney store. It is an outlet center for the catalog, I am a regular there. You can really find some great bargins. But, it's a very plan Jane store. You don't get the magic like you do when you go to TDS. But the trade off is the prices. I bought some beanies the other day for $2.50 each. The selection is limited and you never know what will be there. If you see something and think you might want it later. You better get it because if you come back it maybe gone. Also, they don't sell Park passes or Disney Dollars, however they do except Disney Dollars.

Luvdisney,

Thanks, I was just curious. I hope to be going to Potomac Mills next month. It has been at least 5 years since I have visited. I can't wait!

Thanks again, Beth

PS-I guess I need to plan a trip to Orlando to shop at THAT Disney store. LOL

I live on Cape Cod, MA and just found out our Disney store is closing Friday. I was just there and there are no signs or anything. I guess they will just close up shop without notice. The closest one to me is about 40 minutes away-YUK. I figured since we are such a huge summer resort area my store would be safe, but no such luck.

I was in the Disney Store in Hampton tonight taking to the manager. She confirmed that their last day is February 11. I plan on going just to support them. It is so sad. Colliseum Mall is really doing itself in. It isn't Disney closing this store!!

Melissa

There were rumors that the DS/Disney Gallery in Natick were going to close too, which would be a shame since it is one of the last few DG's in existence. A manager said no, but there sure isn't a lot of new stock coming in.

I wonder if it's the economy, catalog sales, over exposure that's causing so many to close. The pins also helped here. I just hope they don't overdo it with the pins and kill that off with over exposure.

Aero99,

I agree about Coliseum Mall. I use to think it was one of the better ones around. My husband and I were there Saturday and I thought it had gone down. For me, the DS was the highlight of the mall. I guess I will have to make the trek to Chesapeake, unless that one is closing too! I hope not. I guess the next closest one at the Chesterfield Mall in Richmond OR is is the one in Orlando. LOL

Sandyneck...I went to the Cape Cod Mall tonight to pick up my DD
from work and thought while I was early I'd stop by and see how things were
at the Disney Store....
Well the CM manager "Roz" (great CM!) recognized me when I came in and gave me
a hug, with tears in her eyes, and said she was really going to miss her "Regulars"!!!
I almost started crying! None of the CM's there are transfering to other stores, they don't want to commute off Cape, especially in the summer, with all the tourist traffic.
It's going to be a sad day tomorrow when they close the doors at 9:30 p.m.
And to make my heart really heavy, My DD is out of work on Sunday...She works at Lady Foot Locker (across from the Disney Store) and that is closing it's doors in the Cape Cod Mall also!! (She finally gets her 1st job--3 1/2 months ago, saving money for our trip and now??)
What's up with that mall??...Major renovations a year ago, now we have a beautiful mall, new food court, 12 Cinema's etc...
and now that the leases are up, All the GOOD stores are closing...rents are awful, I guess.

Bethie-Theres a DS in VA. Beach but I think the one in Chesapeake is closer to us.

Melissa(areo99)-Why is Coliseum being such a jerk? When the Power Plant (new mega mall)opens they-Coliseum will probably bite the dust. (Just like NewMarket) You'd think that they would be bending over kissing all the tenants behinds! I asked a CM today if they were planning to relocate or open in a nother location she said "No". Why doesn't Disney just sign a contract w/the Powerplant or someplace else? It's my understanding that they have plenty of vacancies at the PowerPlant.
I hate to see it go. It's such a pain to go Chesapeake! But I'll be going nonetheless! ;)

Biyanna,

This is the information I got from CM's. Coliseum is banking on Barnes and Noble and Burlington Coat Factory. Do you know that Burlington is moving it but not into Wards? They are going on the opposite end of the mall and displacing stores that have been displace due to Barnes and Noble. And Wards remains empty. Coliseum is requiring vey long leases (for the retal world they are long). Personally I will go into Barnes and Noble but since they have an outside entrance there will be no reason for me to go into the mall. I really think Coliseum is going to loose out on this on.

As for Disney not opening any new stores, the word is that as long as they are remodeling older stores, no new ones would be opened. Personally I would like to see a Disney Store at Patrick Henry. I like that mall better and would definitely spend more time there if there was a DS.

As for going to Chesapeake, I will go once and a while. I am in debate about renewing my Disney Club membership since I definitely will not be purchasing that much anymore. And I can definitely say that if any more pin sets come out that require me getting there very early, I am just going to pass them by.

Stop by Febrauary 11th and say bye to DS! My friends and I plan on coming just to show our support.

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter