My Rheumatoid's in Remission!

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
I've have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) for over 20 years. I've had a pretty severe case of it. I've had my left hip replaced twice, both knees replaced, both ankles fused, along with multiple hand surgeries. I'm currently on Prednisone, Methotrexate, Enbrel, and Naprosyn. All of these drugs certainly have helped, however, I continued to have problems until just a few months ago.

I had all my silver fillings in my teeth removed and have felt much better since! I always wondered just how the RA developed in me. Then, I remembered the symptoms started shortly after after having several dental fillings done. Actually, I'd had fillings put in over a period of time during childhood and teen years. Just before I turned 21, a "very concerned" dentist convinced my parents I should have all my silver fillings removed and replaced before turning 21, when I would no longer be on my parents' insurance. Well, some fillings were cracked, so we agreed to it. I had 14 amalgams replaced all within about 2 weeks time. Shortly after that I began to develop arthritis symptoms, mainly swelling in my knees. On my 21st birthday I sat in a rheumatologist's office and got the "official" diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Its been a battle for decades. Some of the newer drugs, especially Enbrel, have helped a great deal. However, I continued to have problems.

I've read about the possibilities that silver amalgam fillings can be connected to RA, along with many other diseases. However, when I approached dentists to remove them, they refused, saying that there was "no proof" that the amalgams were connected to RA. Finally, last summer, I found a dentist who agreed to remove them, of course, with the understanding there was no guarantee it would relieve any of my symptoms. We also had a headache with our insurance. Basically, they would only pay to replace my back molars with more silver amalgam fillings. They would replace the front, visible teeth with a composite, but not the back. They paid what they would for an amalgam and we paid the difference. It was further complicated by the fact that the dentist we used was out-of-network, so the insurance payments were even further reduced. Well, it ended up costing us over $3500 out-of-pocket. The dentist was quite understanding and allowed us to set up a payment plan without any interest. I still owe about $1000. However, what a difference!

I just stopped taking Naprosyn. Actually, I ran out one day and by the time I got more I realized I didn't miss it. I've also gone about a month without Enbrel. I still take prednisone (NEVER stop prednisone abruptly, always taper slowly with a doctor's supervision, the withdrawl could kill you!), I'm also taking only half the dose I did of Methotrexate. And I'm feeling great!

I just wanted to share my story in the hopes it might help someone else. If you have RA, you try everything. Also, the silver amalgams have been linked to other autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, MS, MG, etc. You might want to consider giving it a try--it can't hurt. Especially if you can see a relationship between the amalgams and the onset of a health problem. Be careful how you approach a dentist, however. Don't say that's why you want them removed. Just ask for them to be removed and refuse silver replacements. You might have to go through several dentists, like I did, and be prepared to shell out some bucks. However, enjoying life again is worth any amount of money! party:

Also, just wanted to add, my psoraisis is much better. Not cured, but much better. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with such intense itching. I've also almost stopped using the steroid cream prescribed. Used to be I'd use it several times a day and still have horrible plaques and itching. Now just some red skin that seems to respond well to dove soap and Dove mositure cream. BTW, psoraisis is also an auto immune disorder.

Wow that is AWESOME news I am so happy for you! I just got back blood work that said I have a high SED rate and a possitive ana. I have been diagnosed with fibromylagia and Chronic fatigue and some other things but now they are leaning toward lupus or RA. It sure is scary. I have no fillings though but I am getting some soon I will make sure they are not silver.
It is so nice to hear when people start to recover from these painful conditions. It really gives me hope!!!
If you get a chance can you post this at fibrohugs.com There are many people there that can benifit from this information. Many have these auto immune conditions.
(((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))
Jen

Obviously, everyone with silver dental fillings doesn't develop auto immune diseases. However, if you have a pre-disposition to one (my father had psoraisis), it could increase your chances. Also, although the ADA (American Dental Association) still insists the silver amalgams are safe, that is based on people who have a few put in at a time, perhaps over a course of years, such as the case with me getting fillings a few at a time over my childhood and teen years. That's different than having a whole mouthful put in at once, as was my case when they removed all the old ones and replaced 14 fillings within about 2-3 weeks. Probably no one's studied the effects of such a load at once. Well, hopefully this is the answer--its the best I've felt in 20 years!

Wow. What an interesting post! THat is awesome and I am really happy for you! Enjoy your pain free time! It is amazing how pain affects our everyday lives and activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter