Mythos - Review Please

M

missymj

I read lots of good comments about Mythos but have questions. Where is it located? What makes it so special?

Thanks!

Originally posted by missymj
I read lots of good comments about Mythos but have questions. Where is it located? What makes it so special?

Thanks!

Mythos is a themed sit down restaurant located in Islands of Adventure in the Lost Continent area of the park. The decor alone makes it worth visiting, but the food and service is excellent! It is a wonderful, relaxing way to spend some time cooling off while touring the parks!
They have a new menu coming up, so the current menu will be changing...watch these boards for a post by SecondCook letting us know what the new menu is! :)
In addition to the regular menu, Mythos often has a variety of daily specials, which makes dining there quite an adventure since you never know WHAT they will have!
They have a really fun kids menu as well, IMO.
Karen

This is the best restaurant in the theme parks at Universal.

It's great, and a must when you're at Universal.

It is not what you expect when you think of a "theme park restaurant". This would be a GREAT restaurant anywhere. Wonderful, creative food, great service.

Hi,
Don't know if my sister and her family hit it on a bad day but they were disappointed with their meal at Mythos. She said the salmon was fishy, the Caesar salad had packaged dressing and the kids raviolis tasted like canned.
She did say the food was presented attractively, for what it's worth.

I called the other day and made a reservation. I made it for June 18th and wanted it for 5:00. They said that they were only serving lunch on that day and the latest I could make the reservation for would be lunch at 3:00. I did make the reservation for that time. Why would they not be serving dinner on a day that the park is open until 8:00? He also strongly suggested that I call 24 hours prior to make sure that we have not been bumped due to a special event. Looking forward to the experience.

Do you know if they will do anything special for an adult celebrating their birthday?

Went back and searched the threads and none really talk about theaming. Hard to put into words. I'll try.
Mythos is inside this huge rock looking structure.
There is a high rock ceiling above you, with a hole in the middle that lets light in. There is a fountain near the front.
To the back of the restaurant is a huge glass window looking over the lagoon towards Hulk and Dr. Doom. You can see the rides from just about anywhere you sit in the restaurant. You can see the area where the chefs are preparing the food. They work their butts off. They have booths, or you sit in these heavy iron chairs.
The music played is different and adds to the athmosphere.
It's by a band called Mythos, they have two albums, I recently bought them.
Mythos - Mythos
Mythos - The Reality of a Dreamer
It's new age with a beat, acousitc guitar, piano, strings, and a girl singing on most tracks. Sounds like music you would hear in a movie. It all adds to the Greek effect and puts you in another world. Mythos is next to Posidens Fury, so it goes with the Greek god theming.
The napkins are folded fancy, you get bread to start the meal, which everyone devours.
The food is presented as art. Spices are sprinkled around the edges of the plates for the adult meals. Kids get their meals in a toy cup of some kind. The food is out of this world.
Then you have the oooey goooey bananna cake for desert and that tops it all off. Words can't describe it. Thick chocolate cake in the middle with vanilla ice cream, dried bananna slices shooting out, with cinammin around the plate. You mix a little bit of each and it just melts in your mouth.
Prices are very reasonabale. It's the same prices you would find at a restaurant outside of the park.
You leave and you feel like you've been to a movie, like you've been in another world for a couple hours. I walk out of there and I'm like, "Oh, that's right, I'm at IOA."

robvia- thanks for recognizing our hard work!

jon360- I can assure you that we were open every day in march, we must have just been closed at the TIME you came by. As a rule of thumb, we are open till 3 Mon-Thurs, and anywhere from 5-7 on FRi-Sat. Starting this month, however, we go to later 7-8 closes every night.

I stopped by multiple times March 10th, 11th, and 12th and everytime there was a sign on the door that said they were closed today.

-Jon

Sorry, I just can't help myself..... maybe they saw you coming?!

I'm wondering what time you stopped by. If it was after 3 or 4 pm, then there's a good chance Mythos was closed for the day.

Originally posted by missymj
Can you describe the theming?
Here's how I put it in "Universal Orlando: The Ultimate Guide...":

"This upscale restaurant is the feather in Islands of Adventure’s culinary cap. In keeping with the unspeakably ancient theme of the island, it is housed (if that’s the right word) in an extinct volcano with water cascading down its weathered slopes. Step inside and you’ve entered a sea cavern whose sinuous walls have been carved out and smoothed by centuries of surging waves. Eerie yet soothing music, of a provenance you just can’t seem to place, tinkles through the air. In the main dining room, the cavern’s roof vaults skyward and a large windowed opening gives out onto the lagoon and a spacious outdoor seating area. Subterranean streams run between the handsome seating areas, with seats upholstered in regal purple. The walls take on the shapes of long-vanished gods and their spirit minions. The effect is only a step or two this side of awesome.

"The decorative magic is the work of architectural designer Jordan Mozer, a restaurant wizard who has created spectacular eateries around the world, including the American Grill at Vegas’ Bellagio Hotel. Even the silverware, plates, glasses, and table decoration, some of which are the work of local Florida artisans, are special. Decor like this is a hard act to follow and you find yourself wondering if the food can rise to the level of your heightened expectations."

Hope this helps.

Yes, that chocalate oogey gooey is this... HEAVEN on a spoon!

It was amazing!

Originally posted by h20jag
Sorry, I just can't help myself..... maybe they saw you coming?!
LOL!

The food is excellent and the kids meals are large and very reasonable. Adults meals tend to be of the gourmet type. My dh usually gets a burger when we go, but I love the variety of tastes.
If you like mushrooms try the "mushroom ragout" from the appetizer list (if it's still there), heaven!

kellymonaghan
Can you suggest which park we should do. We have 2 adults and one three year old. IOA or US??? Please help, we only have one day.

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter