NBA at Walt Disney World

I’m done with major sports teams. Done.

I’m not going to work tomorrow in protest.
I’m an airline pilot. Sorry if your flight is cancelled.

I gather you're not actually an airline pilot and are in fact trying to mock the players. But pilots absolutely have gone on strike and walked out on the job.

What's wrong with that? If it's for a cause you believe in/want to draw attention to, go for it. These players have a big platform and they're using it.

Being against police brutality really shouldn't be controversial.

I gather you're not actually an airline pilot and are in fact trying to mock the players. But pilots absolutely have gone on strike and walked out on the job.

What's wrong with that? If it's for a cause you believe in/want to draw attention to, go for it. These players have a big platform and they're using it.

Of course it's controversial. People have different ideas what constitutes police brutality. How much abuse and danger should a police officer be required to take while doing his job before he can use lethal force to protect him or herself? It's a very tough and very dangerous job.

Of course it's controversial. People have different ideas what constitutes police brutality. How much abuse and danger should a police officer be required to take while doing his job before he can use lethal force to protect him or herself? It's a very tough and very dangerous job.

Not to delve into political too much, but thats basically the crux of the issue here, not whether someone was right or wrong, but more so when force is required and how much.

Not to delve into political too much, but thats basically the crux of the issue here, not whether someone was right or wrong, but more so when force is required and how much.

And normally, we leave that to juries to decide b/c we want the American people to decide case by case what was appropriate in each hard situation, not some politician or unelected bureaucrat.

But juries aren't perfect, just like cops aren't perfect...and they both do their best...but their best will NEVER avoid some sad stories in a country of 330 million...it's not possible b/c we're human...

But, there's no better system in the world, if we just go back to having faith in it and use it...

Stepping off the soap box...

And normally, we leave that to juries to decide b/c we want the American people to decide case by case what was appropriate in each hard situation, not some politician or unelected bureaucrat.

But juries aren't perfect, just like cops aren't perfect...and they both do their best...but their best will NEVER avoid some sad stories in a country of 330 million...it's not possible b/c we're human...

But, there's no better system in the world, if we just go back to having faith in it and use it...

Stepping off the soap box...

Almost all of these incidences the police never even get charged and it never makes it in front of a jury. The system is setup to often create a conflict of interest where DA's or the AG's offices who have to work with the same police force daily to get prosecutions on their other cases are now being asked if they should bring charges up against those same police departments and they decide not to press charges.

Then the few cases that even do make it in front of a jury have a litany of issues in jury selection where POC are under-represented in the initial jury selection process, then subsequently defense attorneys in many jurisdictions have numerous ways to reject jurors in the final selection process so the final jury is often devoid of any POC.

So there's issues up and down the system top to bottom need to be addressed and need some reform that make it fair for all and people can have confidence that there is indeed proper accountability in all of this. Because it is obvious to many that POC are disproportionately being mistreated by police and the current system makes for little to no accountability for their actions.

I'll step off my soap box now too.

The Rays & Orioles also postponed. I haven't researched it, but I'm doubting any of them played.

Mariners and Padres played a double hitter yesterday. I don't think any teams had intended it to be more than one game with the condensed schedule. Neither team has missed a game now, or at least the M's haven't.

Mariners and Padres played a double hitter yesterday. I don't think any teams had intended it to be more than one game with the condensed schedule. Neither team has missed a game now, or at least the M's haven't.
Brewers/Reds also made up with a double header yesterday.

The NBA has really listened to the players and they are truly trying to take a lead in social justice reform.
I’m just reading Commissioner Silver’s statement.. it’s a bit lengthy.. lol

Home arena’s to be used as voting/polling stations in every market, exception Toronto for obvious reasons.
TV coverage will now include NBA produced commercials and PSAs.

The local teams will work with their local (state/provincial, federal & municipal) government through the NBA foundation to promote and educate on social justice reform including systemic racism.

... still reading.

Almost all of these incidences the police never even get charged and it never makes it in front of a jury. The system is setup to often create a conflict of interest where DA's or the AG's offices who have to work with the same police force daily to get prosecutions on their other cases are now being asked if they should bring charges up against those same police departments and they decide not to press charges.

Then the few cases that even do make it in front of a jury have a litany of issues in jury selection where POC are under-represented in the initial jury selection process, then subsequently defense attorneys in many jurisdictions have numerous ways to reject jurors in the final selection process so the final jury is often devoid of any POC.

So there's issues up and down the system top to bottom need to be addressed and need some reform that make it fair for all and people can have confidence that there is indeed proper accountability in all of this. Because it is obvious to many that POC are disproportionately being mistreated by police and the current system makes for little to no accountability for their actions.

I'll step off my soap box now too.

Totally agree. People say "what can be done?". Two good first steps. 1. Have some kind of outside group review officer involved shootings. Maybe something like a civilian review board. Give people more confidence things are not being swept under the rug. 2. Re-visit qualified immunity for officers that prevents them from being sued for wrongdoing.

If people have more confidence that officers who do the wrong thing can and will be punished appropriately it will go a long way as first steps.

Totally agree. People say "what can be done?". Two good first steps. 1. Have some kind of outside group review officer involved shootings. Maybe something like a civilian review board. Give people more confidence things are not being swept under the rug. 2. Re-visit qualified immunity for officers that prevents them from being sued for wrongdoing.

If people have more confidence that officers who do the wrong thing can and will be punished appropriately it will go a long way as first steps.
I agree it sounds good, but lots of people won't listen to and/or believe anything after the initial report or video snippet. Even here, people posted about alleged police abuse against an NBA player. Another poster provided additional information for consideration, but it was scrubbed quicker than a soviet dissident. Yet the original posts remain...

I am an airline pilot. I don’t want to derail the thread, but for organized labor to go on strike is a long process, not “walking off the job”.
We actually need government approval.

TV coverage will now include NBA produced commercials and PSAs.

The local teams will work with their local (state/provincial, federal & municipal) government through the NBA foundation to promote and educate on social justice reform including systemic racism.

Too bad the players have already done so much to dissipate so much of their audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter