NBA at Walt Disney World

I do not expect athletes and other public figures--particularly people of color--to allow this topic to fade into obscurity. The next walkout will be longer and involve more leagues/teams/athletes. And the one after that, and the one after that. Good for them.

Don't care about ratings, nor should they. If lower ratings are a response to political activism, it only confirms that a segment of society has no interest in discussing these topics and looking for solutions. Some individuals have willingly made themselves unreachable.

In America, everyone has one voice and one vote. I'm confident there are enough people out there willing to listen to stories of prejudice and unequal treatment to support change. The majority mindset in this country is shifting.

Mariners and Padres played a double hitter yesterday. I don't think any teams had intended it to be more than one game with the condensed schedule. Neither team has missed a game now, or at least the M's haven't.
Interesting. The Rays & Orioles played Wednesday night, but postponed last night.

Done with the NFL, MLB, MLS, and WNBA too?

Once again this isn’t just about one incident.

For me the NBA isn't about one incident either. I don't want to bombarded with BLM while watching a sporting event. While I am for equality for all I am not for what the BLM organization is all about. I don't like the way the NBA players force trades - I'm looking at you AD. I thought they really dropped the ball with the Chinese and the Rockets GM comments. I can't stand watching a team shoot 50 3s in a game. It was also unwatchable when the scores were in the 70s and 80s.

I'm getting closer to being done with the NFL. After Drew retires it just won't be the same. Baseball is okay, Soccer and the WNBA are not my thing.

I do not expect athletes and other public figures--particularly people of color--to allow this topic to fade into obscurity. The next walkout will be longer and involve more leagues/teams/athletes. And the one after that, and the one after that. Good for them.

Don't care about ratings, nor should they. If lower ratings are a response to political activism, it only confirms that a segment of society has no interest in discussing these topics and looking for solutions. Some individuals have willingly made themselves unreachable.

In America, everyone has one voice and one vote. I'm confident there are enough people out there willing to listen to stories of prejudice and unequal treatment to support change. The majority mindset in this country is shifting.

Some of the TV folks were talking about the NBA ratings drop and saying to watch something else and how good it was. Turns out what they were suggesting tanked worse than the NBA.

Well, my problem is that I’m not really sure what they are protesting. I can think of about four shootings of a black man lately, but all of them are under both local, and Federal civil rights investigations. At least three of them the cops have been charged with murder. It’s not like the system whitewashed the situation.
And yes, white cops shoot white suspects as well.

All that said, it’s just not clear to me why the NBA can’t play a game. I just don’t see the correlation.

All that said, it’s just not clear to me why the NBA can’t play a game. I just don’t see the correlation.

The correlation is that withholding labor and stopping the money flow gives the people in power incentive to negotiate and move on issues that they wouldn't otherwise have incentive to move on. Traditional strikes are usually for working conditions and benefits, this strike was to get the billionaires who earn money off player labor to use some of that wealth and the power that comes with it to do something about policing issues and voter disenfranchisement, two things which disproportionately affect people of color, which are the majority of their employees - and since you brought up white people, criminal justice reform also helps them too!

So, they could have played a game, they just decided not to in the hopes that ownership would agree to help take action on some of these issues back in their communities. And guess what? They did!

It's really not that difficult to understand if you're actually interested in understanding.

Well, my problem is that I’m not really sure what they are protesting. I can think of about four shootings of a black man lately, but all of them are under both local, and Federal civil rights investigations. At least three of them the cops have been charged with murder. It’s not like the system whitewashed the situation.
And yes, white cops shoot white suspects as well.

Interesting that you feel that only what you’ve heard of is worth contemplating.

Breonna Taylor— say her name.

99% of this could be stopped if people just do the right thing when police ask them to. Police aren't out hunting people of any color. Act the fool with police, and you put yourself in a bad spot. In my younger days, I try both methods, and i know which one works better. Shouldn't be too hard to understand that when you make a cop nervous enough to pull his gun, it's time to give up the fight.

That being said, more money, not less, is needed in policing. Better training. Higher salaries to attract better officers. Development of better non-lethal weapons that protect both officers and suspects. Money for community outreach to get leaders in the community and leaders in law enforcement working together to create dialog and build trust.

The answer is way bigger than slogans and feelings.

The answer is way bigger than slogans and feelings.
Which again is why the NBA did what they did. They want people to know it’s bigger than that.

Not related to quote:

Overall it’s probably best to move from this discussion here. I’m going to leave the posts that are here but further ones will likely be removed. One thing I hope we all recognize is these types of discussions are healthy in all aspects of life. Having this spill into our love of Disney shows how broad it is.

Lakers are forcing this into a competitive game. Without lillard, they should be up 40. They want to make sure they’re ready for the Mavs or Jazz

Does anyone know if they move all of the final 8 teams into CSR? I know some were already there, but not all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter