Need info on Myrtle Beach

momoftwogirls

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to plan a trip to Myrtle Beach in April. I know nothing. Any reccomendations for hotels? We're looking for something on the beach and with an indoor pool - in case the weather is too cold to use outdoor pool. Two kids ages 2 and 5. What kind of activities/ places can we visit in the myrtle beach area that will be open in mid April. Any help, suggestions are appreciated. THANKS!

I live in South Carolina and know a great deal about Myrtle Beach. PM me if you'd like. We have gone there many times over the years.

We love Myrtle Beach! You can go to the Chamber of Commerce web site and they will send you a huge book full of places to stay. DD always stays at the Compass Cove and DH and I stay at the Pan American. CC is on the south end and ours is on the north end. We love to eat at the Crab House, The Sea Captain's House, and Crabby Mikes. Have a great vacation!!

Patricia Grand is nice. It has a huge indoor pool and an indoor lazy river. www.patricia.com

Ripley's Aquarium is very nice. All of the mini-golf places will be open. There will be plenty there to do. :D

Our favorite place to stay is the Landmark Resort--lots of indoor pools, whirlpools, lazy river. The parking garage is across the street, connected to the hotel with an over-road walkway--much nicer than dodging cars. favorite restaurant is Sea Captains House. I wish you luck finding a room--the area is growing so fast, that it is often crowded. They market year round, and last time I tried to make a short notice ressie, I had trouble. There will be plenty to do/plenty open.

Originally posted by Boots
We love to eat at the Crab House, The Sea Captain's House, and Crabby Mikes.

I think Crabby Mike's is the best one. :D

I shall tell mhopset you are wondering.. he really likes Myrtle Beach.. something about the LONG ISLAND ICE TEAS!!.. LOL..

Hope you have a reaaaaallly great time!

We stay at the Crown Reef! IT has many pools..some indoor some outdoor....a great lazy river ride. It is pretty south compared to many of the hotels..but we like it because it is much quieter and not nearly as "party" oriented!

The Crown Reef(at least during the summer) has a BBQ grill actually grilling hamburgers and hotdogs by the pool..and a pool side bar(great tasting cold drinks...with and without alcohol).

The Beach is always clean and very nice!

We also go the tourist stores..and buy two chairs and umbrella..it is cheaper than renting! We just bring them back year after year!!!

We go to DIS one summer..and then Myrtle Beach the next. Of course, this year..we are going to Gatlinburg instead of MB...why..because I am giving in to my husband..."let's do something different"....wwaaaaaaaaaaa

Hi! I grew up in Myrtle Beach. For Christmas, my folks took us to the Dixie Stampede. It's a dinner show. My boys (6 & 8) and nephews (4 & 6) loved it! I thought it was a little "corny", but it was fun and the food was good.
You are served a garlic cheese biscuit, corn on the cob, soup, roasted cornish hen, beverage, and dessert. I must warn you, though, they don't have silverware. You're supposed to eat with your hands. One of my boys refused, but I just happened to have some plastic forks with me. ;)
We also like the aquarium. It's pretty interesting.
I called my sis and got this info from her: there is a Nascar speed park that has a few kiddie rides and a large arcade. You can get 40 tokens for $5 with a speacial they have. The Pavillion (rides) is only open Fri-Sun. I've ridden the Hurricane coaster there, and it's really fun! The kids couldn't ride, but the adults might like it.

Hope that helps!

Great info! We are going too (in August) sounds like fun!:bounce: We have never been before. We are taking our camper though..Ocean Lakes Campground.:D

This westcoast guy made a trip to Myrtle Beach 2 years ago. I picked the Patricia Grand and we really liked it. It is odd in that it looks like a high rise hotel but it has exterior corridors. Wee had a one bedroom which had a full kitchen, dining area, living room, bedroom and bath with a great view of the ocean, beach, hotels and inland. It was not expensive either and slept 6.

I've been to Myrtle Beach many times. My sister owns a condo there in a place called Ocean Creek Pavillion, which rents out the condos of the private owners. They have a wide variety of units available. All units are within a seven minute walk from the beach, and there is a tram to take you to the beach as well. Many of the units are right on the beach, and Ocean Creek has a semi-private beach (i.e. people from outside can walk to it, but it is sectioned off). There are several outdoor pools in the complex, and one indoor pool. There is a beautiful pool and a great snackbar right near the beach.

My sister owns a one bedroom unit. It has a double bed, one and a half bathrooms, a washer dryer, a kitchenette, and a living room/dining room with a pull out couch. She also has a balcony that overlooks one of the pools.

There is a Cracker Barrell Restaurant at the end of the driveway leading into Ocean Creek, and a great outdoor shoping area (I believe it's called Barefoot Landing) right across the street. A theatre owned by the music group Alabama is across the street as well.

Karen

MamaJoan is right I Love Myrtle Beach. In fact I'm going the end of March.

Now why she had to bring up the ice tea thing is beyond me:D .

Anyway the place to stay:

Caravelle Resort
Grande Shores Resort
Patricia North (Montery Bay Resort)
OceanReef Resort
Captains Quarters
Landmark
Crownreef

Things not to miss: Bearfoot Landing, Broadway on the Beach, The Character Store at Prime Outlets, Dicks Last Resort, Hooters:D,

Places to Eat: Liberty Steak House at Broadway on the Beach, One of the many Calabash buffett Restaurants, California Pizza, Angelos all u can eat Italin buffett.

Don't forget to visit the Pavilion amusement park, Ripleys Aquirium, Yankee Candle, the many, many beachwear shops, and Krispy Cream Donuts. If you want to ask anything else please PM me! If you want to know about the Long Island Ice Tea incident I will tell you then.:D
Tony

My son says the Crown Reef was the best. It has a huge lazy river. I enjoyed the numerous jacuzzis. There is also a Character Corner in Myrtle Beach - formerly a Disney catalog outlet. I just went last September, and it still carried about 95% Disney merchandise.

Have fun!!

I had to reply to this. I can't believe some people have recommended the PATRICIA GRAND! We call it the PATRICIA DUMP! We also went 2 years ago, and it was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We didn't even end up staying one night.

It was very, very dirty. There was food in the microwave. The kitchen table was chipped. The chairs were black from dirt (they were originally tan). One chair had the wheels missing from the bottom. The bathroom had no towels. When we asked the front desk for them, they gave us dish towels. We decided to stick it out for the night and look for a new hotel the next day, but we we went to go to sleep, there was blond hair all over the pillow case!!! Gross! We went downstairs at around 11 PM and told them we were leaving! The manager said he wouldn't stay there either!

After WDW, Myrtle Beach is my favorite place! We like The Breakers. It is just a short walk to where the action is. And you can walk along the beach at night and see the hotel sign lit up on the side of the building so you know how far you're getting away from it. Barefoot Landing is a pretty neat place to visit with all it's specialty shops.

TC:cool:

We haven't been in a long while, but we used to stay at the Sands Ocean Club Resort. (It has a kid's program and a lazy river.) Loved it! Returned many times. One of the things I really liked was there were so many restaurants and things to do on the premises that you could just stay put awhile. Veg out. The beach bar (Ocean Annie's) was a nice place to have a light dinner and watch the sunset over the water with the sea breeze floating over and around you. Plenty of tables and a small dance floor. And the bar is just a few steps from the beach! We had so much fun!

Here's the website:

http://www.sandsresorts.com/property.php?id=4

And here's a website with discounts for hotels:

http://www.travelnow.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotInfo&cid=51416&hotelID=118030&hotnetrates=true&mode=1

Have a great trip!
Annemarie

Hi, we stayed at CAPTAINS QUARTERS last summer and really enjoyed it the have a restaurant, lazy river ,indoor pool and a bowling alley.i would stay there again.:p

That was it - the Sand Dunes. We stayed there last September. My son LOVED the restaurant downstairs (the Brass Anchor) and the waterpark. There was a convenience store on the bottom floor where I could get the instant coffees. The room itself could use some repairs - the a/c was leaking and the carpet was soaked, drywall cracked and missing. I complained to management - nothing happened. I wrote to the owners, and got a letter of apology explaining that there were new managers and repairs were being made. So, I'd probably go back again hoping that the rooms were in better condition.

Sand Dunes is great. Also, right down from there is the Ocean Reef - we particularly like this one. They have new condos - brand new this year - as well as great hotel rooms that all face the ocean with queen beds. Both Sand Dunes and Ocean Reef are on the best stretch of beach - nice and wide and clean with shells and sharks teeth to pick up. Go to www.sandsresorts.com or to www.mbmartinique.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter