Need suggestions on Charities the kids can donate to...

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Our kids are 6 & 7 years old. They both get a $5 a week allowance for doing things around the house. The $5 is broken down into 3 parts: $3 they can save or spend on whatever they want, $1 goes towards long term savings (like college), and the other $1 goes into the Charity Can. I told the kids once they save $20 we would find a charity for them to send their donations to. We're looking for suggestions on what might be good charities for the kids' to help support :)

Your local children's hospital would be a good one. The kids might like that. Maybe you could contact a local children's home and see if they need anything. If so, you can take your kids on a shopping trip to help other kids.

I really like your allowance idea. That's wonderful to encourage children to support charities.

Or possibly one of the animal support charities -- kids love animals, too.

My kids and I adopted a couple of guys stationed in Kuwait. We got their names thru operation military pride and we went to the store and send item that were requested like hand sanitizer, magazines, single serving food items. They really like picking out items to the guys over seas.

How about Make a Wish foundation who sends so many sick kids to visit WDW as their dream trip....If you kids love Disney this might be a good one to help them share their happiness with terminally sick kids.

I like all of the ideas mentioned so far. I was going to say a local SPCA or humane society. I think it's great that you are doing something like this. I may have to follow suit!

WOW!!! Thank you all so much for the very quick responses!! DH and I talked to the kids when we started the new allowance process and asked them what they thought. Both of them came up helping animals. I just didn't know what some good animal charities would be. I really like all the suggestions made here!!!
Blueberry's Make a Wish idea is outstanding!!! We are so fortunate to be able to visit Disney as much as we do. It would be great to help a sick child get to share the experience as well!! Keep the ideas coming - You guys are great!!! :)

Childrens Mircle Network is one I tend to support. The funds raised to to support your local Children's Hosp. Like here in Ohio it would go towards Children's in Columbus. I like Mike a wish foundation and St. Judes too.

Heifer International. You can buy an animal and it will be donated to a family in need. The stories of how one animal can bring a family from poverty to prosperity with one donation are astounding. They also have a picture book illustrating how this changed one little girls life. It's a very neat organization.

Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas. Our Brownie troop does a toy and food drive every year. The girls love knowing they're helping others. All of these ideas are very thoughtful and I'm going to talk to the kids about each any every one of them and let them decide :)

We are think globally, act locally kind of givers.

DD and I donate money and time to the local food bank, the local "benevolent" society which provides funds for shelter and necessities to families down on their luck, to our local library, and the animal shelter. During these times of tough budgets and funding cuts, local agencies can use the help and you and your children would be contributing to the good of your community.

St. Jude's Childrens Research Hospital is a great charity. They treat children with cancer whether they have insurance or not.

I also think that local charities would be more "real" for the kids, or charitites that support children's health and well being.

However, if you still want suggestions with animals, I used to speak at various Lions clubs concerning guide dog schools.

My wife uses a dog from Southeastern Guide Dogs in Florida, but there are several reputable schools around the US.

Feel free to PM me for more info if you are interested.

We just started our 5 year old with an allowance and bought her a children's bank from Christian Financial Concepts. It is in three sections:

One part is a bank (for long term savings), one part is a toy store (for saving for fun things), and one part is a church (for her tithe)

She puts 10% in the church, 10% in savings, and 80% for her interests.

Our local soup kitchen makes someone a host for the day with a $100 donation. If your local soup kitchen does something similar, it could be very real to your kids and give them a huge sense of pride knowing that they provided the food for all of the poor and homeless for that day.

The Lions Club has wonderful programs for service dogs and camps for the blind. I know that the SPCA offers a "Hearing Dog" program, too, that is a wonderful concept. A hearing dog alerts a hearing impaired person that the phone is ringing, there is someone at the door, dinner is ready (from the buzzer on the oven timer,) etc. A friend of mine was featured on Animal Planet because of the work that her department did with hearing dogs in San Francisco.

Hey Mhopset, the MDA is definetly one close to my heart!! ;)
I did think of that and possibly request the donation be used to send a child to summer camp. Everyone has given us such great idea!! We'll have alot to talk about with the kids. I did mention the Make a Wish Foundation to DD 7 yesterday. She actaully asked if she could put more of her own money in the charity can to help :earseek: It was one of her finer moments!! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter