Neighbor Writing on Vehicle

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It's a lot to think about. I wish I wasn't dealing with it, but hoping they won't be here much longer after their lease is up in early autumn. Their home is a rental so fingers crossed.
If you know the landlord, this is where a police report might actually help. If the landlord was on the fence or looking for a reason to get rid of them, the report might matter.

I wouldn't both the Police with something so trivial. Not that they would take a report for something so trivial. Well, they might have one of the senior citizen volunteers call you back and take a report over the phone, but I hear it takes about two months for them to call back.
Senior citizen volunteers?

Definitely not common here with the strong unions. Never heard of such at thing.
The incident OP has would be a "Priority Zero" call here. No way a sworn officer would be dispatched. And if a report was taken, it would be taken over the phone, likely by a volunteer.
The Police Unions support the volunteer programs because they want don't want sworn officers tied up on Priority Zero calls.
And it appears the Ottawa Police have such a program. Not sure where you live in Canada. https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/careers-and-volunteering/volunteer.aspx

EDITED: As does Toronto. https://www.tps.ca/careers/volunteer-opportunities/

As does the RCMP. https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/rcmp-volunteer-programs

The incident OP has would be a "Priority Zero" call here. No way a sworn officer would be dispatched. And if a report was taken, it would be taken over the phone, likely by a volunteer.
The Police Unions support the volunteer programs because they want don't want sworn officers tied up on Priority Zero calls.
And it appears the Ottawa Police have such a program. Not sure where you live in Canada. https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/careers-and-volunteering/volunteer.aspx

EDITED: As does Toronto. https://www.tps.ca/careers/volunteer-opportunities/

As does the RCMP. https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/rcmp-volunteer-programs
As you and I have discussed many times I can see your Mom's nursing school from my window. You know where I live. LOL.

I would never bother the police with something so trivial.
I'm curious, do you think all bias motivated crimes are trivial or just gender-specific ones? Vandalizing a female's car by writing b is gender specific against women, just as would writing the n word is racial and writing f is homophobic.

OP - unlike some here, I wouldn't be afraid of calling the police for what appears to be an escalating situation with your neighbors. At least get something reported and the police can tell you how to proceed. It sounds like they are freaks. Maybe the people telling you not to report are your neighbors :laughing:

I'm curious, do you think all bias motivated crimes are trivial or just gender-specific ones? Vandalizing a female's car by writing b is gender specific against women, just as would writing the n word is racial and writing f is homophobic.

OP - unlike some here, I wouldn't be afraid of calling the police for what appears to be an escalating situation with your neighbors. At least get something reported and the police can tell you how to proceed. It sounds like they are freaks. Maybe the people telling you not to report are your neighbors :laughing:
You are reading a whole lot more into this than I am. No issue contacting police. Just being realistic. Other than having a report on file, it won't be investigated, and my concern would be the action of contacting Police, if it got back to the suspect, could trigger more petty crimes. Sometimes you just need to know when to walk away.

Yes. Most in the volunteer programs are retired folks. California Highway Patrol does require you to be at least 55. Sacramento Sheriff age minimum is only 18. Most police agencies have programs like this. They take reports, direct traffic, etc,

https://www.sacsheriff.com/pages/volunteer_services.php
https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/senior-volunteer-programs
I started that program in Rancho Cordova and got an award from the county. I then helped open the one in North Highlands. (I was not a senior citizen at the time but you are right, a lot of retired folks helped us). Sacramento woud not entertain this type of report as it is not damage (paint etc would be a different story). It bothers me that the father allows this. My kid would be going up to apologize, wash the car and then get everything taken away for a month. Where I live now, our small police department may show up and go talk to them but they wouldn't take a report. Sacramento County Sheriff definitely wouldn't take a report. Fingers crossed they move at the end of their lease. I would try to ignore the best as possible and not aggravate the situation. I am extremely grateful we moved to a street with 4 seniors and two owner families.

This young person is on the path to worse. What would cause a young person to even use that word much less write it on a car? The parents, of course. Maybe a call to social services for a welfare check?

Keep in mind the original post said nothing about it being an escalation of things. Taken on it's own, writing in the dirt on someone's car is WAY beneath my line on where police need to be called.

Sometimes you just need to know when to walk away.
My husband would probably feel differently had the message been on his car versus my car. But my husband would be concerned about my safety if it had been on my car. I would never speak for all women but I can tell you your comments are coming at it from the standpoint of being a man. That alone might change how you feel about that such message on your car.

My husband would probably feel differently had the message been on his car versus my car. But my husband would be concerned about my safety if it had been on my car. I would never speak for all women but I can tell you your comments are coming at it from the standpoint of being a man. That alone might change how you feel about that such message on your car.
No, Mrs. TVGUY is someone you would NEVER want to do that to. And the neighborhood kids know that.

My husband would go talk to the person, and see what their problem was. But he is a big guy and even at 52, he's pretty intimidating if he wants to be.

If he felt the person would escalate, he would have me call and make a report, so there would be a papertrail later if anything else occured.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It's a lot to think about. I wish I wasn't dealing with it, but hoping they won't be here much longer after their lease is up in early autumn. Their home is a rental so fingers crossed.

If you know the landlord, this is where a police report might actually help. If the landlord was on the fence or looking for a reason to get rid of them, the report might matter.

in some jurisdictions a landlord can be held legally responsible for nuisance tenants. neighbors have the right to quiet enjoyment (to possess and comfortably use their property without any disturbance). documentation can provide the foundation for a landlord to take action with the tenant or in the absence of it-a neighbor to take action with the landlord. in one instance with renters neighboring us i had some issues with their/their kids behaviors so i made a call to the property owner (simple look up on public records, if i hadn't been able to find a phone number i would have snail mailed to where the property tax statements went). seemed to work (behaviors improved).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter