Never say "I'd never do that....."

Cailin'sMom, we live in Troy, and all of the school's in our county (Pike) have been on the year-round schedule for several years.

Thanks so much for all of your input! My son makes straight A's, so making up the work really doesn't concern me. It's just the way the school superintendent phrased his "you'll have to decide what's important" response to some of the parents who were upset.

We're definitely going, and can't wait"! I agree with all of you, family time is just as important as school.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by dixieamy
It's just the way the school superintendent phrased his "you'll have to decide what's important" response to some of the parents who were upset.

He'll probably be shocked that many people will decide how important it is to go with the plans they already had & spend time with their families!

BTW - how do you like the year-round school thing? They have talked about it in our district for years but nothing has happened as of yet. I live in a suburb of Buffalo, NY, so our summers are like gold here - most people take full advantage of them so I seriously think there would be a lot of opposing opinions if this was ever seriously considered for this area. JMO! (for what it's worth) :rolleyes: Unless you ski & do winter sports, there is not much to do here in the winter except go to the movies or go to the mall!

DixieAmy -

I own a vacation home in South Alabama and live in N. O. where we had 4 days off - can't wait to see what they do to us here!

The stress that I felt last week worrying about my house is IMO worth a trip to Disney any time!

Go and have some fun for me!:D

We love the year-round schedule, but then we don't have the winters that you have in New York. We started school August 9 this year, have 1 week off (usually) in October, 1 week off at Thanksgiving, 3 weeks off at Christmas, 2 weeks for Spring Break, and are out for the summer the end of May.

I think it's wonderful because it breaks up the school year so much and gives parents opportunities to travel during off-peak times.

It looks like you still get 2 months off for the summer. Our kids start school right after Labor Day & go until the last week in June (around the 23rd or 25th) - so they get about 10 weeks off for summer.

In the past they have had 2 weeks off at Easter, but this year they are changing it to 1 week of during President's Week & Good Friday + 1 week at Easter (which I'm not in favor of - but they didn't ask my opinion!!) They will only get 1 week + 1 additional day for Xmas & their standard 2 days off for Thanksgiving. Of course, they also get the usual Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, etc. off, plus all those staff development days!!!!!

dixieamy: I did not realize that you guys in Pike county were doing year round school. We are wondering when they will decide to implement that here.

The kids here in Mobile and Baldwin county are supposed to go back to school Monday Sept. 27. The two schools have added days for the teachers to return this week. But all total the kids will have to make up 7 days of school.

There have been rumors that they will lose Spring Break. They will also give up a day at Thanksgiving. But we are unsure of the final plan.

I hope that you guys have a great time. After hearing your description of year round school, I don't think that it would be a bad set up. At least then we could make trips year round without worrying about affecting the school schedule. Of course, I have a few years before DD starts school since she is only 2.

We really don't feel like we're missing out on any of our summer break, it's plenty long, and I love all of the other long holidays we get.

I work at an electric cooperative in Montgomery, and I understand that Baldwin EMC had all of their members out of power after the hurricane. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you on the coast as you rebuild after the devastation of Hurricane Ivan.

Dixieamy, Troy to Montgomery every day is a haul! We were living in Dothan when Hurricane Opal came through. Surprisingly, we had power back in the city by 12:30 that night. Inlaws here in Columbus GA were without for something like 3 days! We missed 3 days total this year for hurricanes, first time I ever recall that happening. What stinks is the having to make up part. State of GA just passed a new attendence law droppin gexcused absences from 20 down to 15 and says that if your child has 5 unexcused (no note) absences they have the right to jail th parent for up to 30 days! :eek: :eek: Think they're blowing this thing out of proportion a bit?

We're in Pace, FL (just east of Pensacola), and I was looking at possibly the same situation as you. We had fall break scheduled for Oct 4-11. We are going to Disney that week, and I had already decided that no way was I going to change my plans. We just found out today that school will begin back on October 11th, so they only cut out that Monday that they had tacked on as a teacher planning day originally. But like I said, I had already planned to take our trip anyway, no matter if they let us keep fall break or not. I've been working with my daughter daily keeping her caught up on her school work (she's in 1st grade), so if she had missed a few days, I didn't feel like it would hurt her too much, as I feel pretty certain that the first week back is going to be spent catching up anyway.

Go and have fun! I wouldn't worry myself one bit about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter