New Disney cruise ship to set sail from Singapore from 2025

limmy

Earning My Ears
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ise-ship-to-set-sail-from-singapore-from-2025

The first official announcement!

I’m so excited!!!

A new Disney Cruise Line vessel will make Singapore its exclusive home port for at least five years from 2025, in a partnership between the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and the cruise line.

Singapore will be the company's first exclusive home port in Southeast Asia.

The as-yet unnamed ship will be the eighth and largest in the Disney Cruise Line fleet and also the largest cruise ship welcomed to Singapore's shores, said Minister-in-charge of Trade Relations S Iswaran at the official announcement on Wednesday (Mar 29).

"By all accounts, this is a major milestone in the evolution of our cruise industry," said Mr Iswaran

Disney Cruise Line had announced in November that it would acquire Genting Hong Kong's Dream Cruises' unfinished ship, after the latter filed for bankruptcy through its holding group.

The new ship that will call Singapore its home port is the same one Disney Cruise Line acquired from Dream Cruises, confirmed Mr Thomas Mazloum, president of Disney Signature Experiences.

Last edited:
I'm definitely curious to see the itineraries. We're going to be in Japan summer of 2026 for my son's graduation trip and would love to be able to tack on a cruise. I'm also not sure about the 6k people though, it'll be interesting to see how these sell and if they sail close to capacity.

Unless it sails out of the USA or Europe I guess that's one super ship I won't be cruising on. That doesn't bother me, it's not on my to do list. RCCL has plenty of perfectly acceptable super ships if that's what I want. Just did a cruise on their newest ship and enjoyed it very much.

I can’t wait to try it. Singapore is one of my favorite cities and is worth a visit on its own. It makes a ton of sense given how developed the cruise market is there, but It does make Japan itineraries pretty difficult.
I think "difficult' is an understatement here. Almost all Disney cruises are 7 nights or fewer and none are more than 14 nights. I guess they could get some nice one-way cruises to Japan and back, but you'd probably have a lot of days at sea. Better to just take a cruise from Tokyo or something, right?

I'm actually curious to see where the ship does go from Singapore. There are many options nearby, but I wonder if they'll be interesting enough to attract foreign guests.

I think "difficult' is an understatement here. Almost all Disney cruises are 7 nights or fewer and none are more than 14 nights. I guess they could get some nice one-way cruises to Japan and back, but you'd probably have a lot of days at sea. Better to just take a cruise from Tokyo or something, right?

I'm actually curious to see where the ship does go from Singapore. There are many options nearby, but I wonder if they'll be interesting enough to attract foreign guests.
Yeah. I was really hoping that they'd base in Tokyo (Yokohama) for the summer season. I'd think that Japan has enough of an entrenched market of Disney lovers to support some sailings, but perhaps the cruise market in Japan is still a bit soft.

Royal Caribbean has had Spectrum of the Seas based in Singapore and I'd bet that Disney's itineraries look pretty similar to it (similar target market, etc.). The vast majority are 3-5 night sailings to Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam, with a sprinkling of longer itineraries (including 12-night one-way sailings to/from Tokyo), and they've been selling very well (I see many categories sold out for upcoming sailings). The Japan ones aren't quite as many at-sea days as I expected--seems to be 5 at-sea days on a 12-night itinerary. Hopefully Disney will offer some longer sailings there to attract overseas visitors, although I don't think we'll be their target.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter