New Disney World AP Pay and get less?

Just got off the phone with Guest Services. I was informed of the below:

My current Platinum Pass Certificate will be honored as purchased, so will still include MM (I paid $925 for this AP Cert so I'm relieved!). However, because it is a certificate and NOT a pass or ticket, I will still be limited to 3 park reservations until the certificate is redeemed. I will be able to make another 2 park reservations at time of AP Activation, for a total of 5 for the trip as a non resort guest.

My son's 6 Day Park Hopper Ticket can be upgraded to an Incredi-Pass AP either at time of launch (Sep 8th) or prior to our last day in the park (we visit in Oct). There is no benefit to doing one over the other. They will apply the value paid of his current 6DPH ticket to the new Incredi-Pass AP at time of upgrade, and I would simply pay the difference.

I'm really bummed that the new AP is so expensive and there is no lower tier to upgrade into like at DL. This basically means I'm going to have to really do the math before my trip in October to see if its worth it to upgrade my son to the AP, or just get him 2 separate tickets for the trips we will be taking over the next year. But, I was on the fence about renewing in 2022, now I'm pretty sure I won't. We vacation to so many other places, there is no reason for me to spend $2000+ on themepark tickets for 2 people when I could pay for us to go to Ireland for a week with that money!

Next time we go down, my son will be older and taller, and we will probably skip Disney all together and just stay and visit Universal.
I did a chat today and received this information :

Attachments

• chat answer.JPG
    chat answer.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 156
I thought this thread was about all WDW AP's, not Florida. I got confused! The prices looked great for me living in WA state.
Well, that will teach me to not be on top of AP's. I just saw the announcement.

Is there a price for renewals? Or did I miss that too!

I currently have a 10 day ticket for Oct 1-11 and plan to go back the end of March for 7 days. Should I upgrade before/beginning of my trip or at the end of my trip? Thanks
I would at least wait until after the weekend of October 1st. One of the journalists reporting this story said that Disney indicated that upgrading to an AP will cancel your existing park reservations, and there's very little AP availability that weekend. After that weekend, you should be fine.

If they clearly fix that quirk (and confirm it to you at Guest Services when you upgrade), you could do it early. But I'd probably wait until the end of the trip, unless you can clearly benefit from the upgrade (and verify with Guest Services when you upgrade).

I don't know why, but I was floored we only had one option, should have seen it coming, but honestly, just shocked.

We’ve been out of state AP holders for close to 10 years. We’re not DVC. We have only ever been able to buy the most expensive ticket. All the other options have been only for Florida residents, except that DVC members could buy the reduced rate gold (I think) pass.

I totally understand the frustration with the price increase. But am I the only one who doesn’t think the platinum increase is that bad?? Platinum passes had huge increases a few years ago. While Florida resident passes increased just a little bit, the out of state platinum went up at least $300 over 2 years if I remember right. I renewed our passes in May, cost was $1080 + tax. I think 2018 it was $600+ for renewal. The renewal rate for the new pass will be $1105. So only a $25 increase from this year. I know, no photopass, but I didn’t really use that anyway.

So personally, it seems like disney is trying to limit Florida discounted passes more than the full price, open to anyone AP option. Or maybe they think the platinum, top tier pass has hit the appropriate price & the Florida tickets haven’t?

Last edited:
October 2015:
"The Platinum Pass sells for $797.69 and is good every day of the year, and now throws in Photopass downloads."
That's so 2015.

Don't overlook this tidbit...

"Please note as we continue to manage attendance to provide a great experience for everyone, at any time, Annual Passes may be unavailable for purchase."

So they can "sell out" too.

But, they did add in this "generous" benefit (insert sarcastic eye-roll here)...
"We’re also introducing a new look for the Annual Passholder program to honor our past while looking forward to the future. Using a piece of the original Walt Disney World Resort logo as a foundation for bright colors and energetic design, the program’s new look puts Passholders right in the middle of the magic."
THANK GOODNESS! What ever would we do without a great LOGO???

So sad that they REALLY don't care about the people coming to Disneyworld any more.....all they care about is how much money they can get from us for so much less to offer! although, like they say....if you don't want to go and pay the money, don't go!

That's my plan at this point. Drop my Disney AP and put more money in my Universal AP. Especially since Universal is more appreciative or at least acts that way.
Plus having spent the last time waiting 8 hours to get my Disney AP extended left a bad taste in my mouth and having to call them repeatedly over that issue didn't help

We are right there with you - and Disney will lose a lot of money on us. This is our third round of out of state Annual Passes for the family; and we've visited over ten times during that time; and brought family along for three of those visits. All but a couple of our trips were for over a week; and we've always stayed in Disney resorts, eaten all our meals onsite, and enjoyed our souvineer spending.

Our current passes expire in March of 2022. My son is fine with not coming back - he's stressed out by all the new changes. My daughter LOVES Disney, but after a DAS nightmare this summer, we are not sure Disney has their act together enough for the parks to be workable or safe for her.

Disney's money grabs lately are nothing short of pathetic; higher prices on everything, much less magic, and terrible service and cleanliness. We had multiple airline vouchers that had to be used in 2021; those are done now. We will likely spend some time at Discovery Cove in 2022; and maybe try Universal?

At most, future Disney visits might be a long weekend with the daughter, but we loved Disney for their excellent service and total immersion in the magic. That's gone, and we will be too.

what happened with the DAS this summer?
We need DAS for one of the people in our group, but we haven't been since 2019.
Have there been changes?

So did I read the info correct that now instead of Photopass included, you get the privilege of paying extra for it? Has Disney lost all sanity? They just keep upping everything and adding extra charges to the point that its just foolish.

I just won't pay it. It sucks to lose it and if I was going for a longer trip maybe I would consider buying it. It bothers me though because I feel like MOST but not all of the photopass photographers aren't that great at their job anymore. Our July trip had some pretty crappy images beside our capture the moment session. Im talking bad! not centered, awful lighting, images blurry. If they want ppl to pay they need to make sure these photographers are professionals. I could buy my own camera and take my own photos.

Out-of-state are only able to purchase the Incredi-pass, and the other passes are only for FL residents or DVC
HI! Not challenging you, just need some direction. Where did you get the info that oos can only purchase Incredible-pass. I don't see that, but I may be missing it. Thanks!

Disney Magic? More like Disney Smoke and Mirrors!
This just makes me sad. We all knew that prices would be raised. Fine, I get that. It’s the reservation system that I do NOT like. At all!! Surely they will drop the 2 p.m. park hopping restrictions. What really gets me is how much they take away and make it seem like we are getting so much more. I think the powers that be believe we have amnesia. We all remember remember what Disney used to be like. Yes, it was expensive. But I felt like I was getting an experience I couldn’t get anywhere else. I have been an AP holder and a DVC member since 2002. Yes prices have gone up considerably and consistently since then. But this price increase and lack of value is one for the record books.
My Happy Place is becoming less happy.

Disney Magic? More like Disney Smoke and Mirrors!
This just makes me sad. We all knew that prices would be raised. Fine, I get that. It’s the reservation system that I do NOT like. At all!! Surely they will drop the 2 p.m. park hopping restrictions. What really gets me is how much they take away and make it seem like we are getting so much more. I think the powers that be believe we have amnesia. We all remember remember what Disney used to be like. Yes, it was expensive. But I felt like I was getting an experience I couldn’t get anywhere else. I have been an AP holder and a DVC member since 2002. Yes prices have gone up considerably and consistently since then. But this price increase and lack of value is one for the record books.
My Happy Place is becoming less happy.

well said! i completely agree with you!

If you want the food or merch discounts and free parking I guess you need to do it at the start of your trip.
This is a highly reputable source - I know his name is allowed on another forum, but I’m not sure about this one, so I didn’t include it. So, if it’s a particularly busy week, you might not want to upgrade to AP early in your week and risk losing your park reservations.

Attachments

• F0757689-B18A-481E-B909-7884E69DEE75.jpeg
    F0757689-B18A-481E-B909-7884E69DEE75.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 124
We’ve been out of state AP holders for close to 10 years. We’re not DVC. We have only ever been able to buy the most expensive ticket. All the other options have been only for Florida residents, except that DVC members could buy the reduced rate gold (I think) pass.

I totally understand the frustration with the price increase. But am I the only one who doesn’t think the platinum increase is that bad?? Platinum passes had huge increases a few years ago. While Florida resident passes increased just a little bit, the out of state platinum went up at least $300 over 2 years if I remember right. I renewed our passes in May, cost was $1080 + tax. I think 2018 it was $600+ for renewal. The renewal rate for the new pass will be $1105. So only a $25 increase from this year. I know, no photopass, but I didn’t really use that anyway.

So personally, it seems like disney is trying to limit Florida discounted passes more than the full price, open to anyone AP option. Or maybe they think the platinum, top tier pass has hit the appropriate price & the Florida tickets haven’t?

You are 100% correct. I don't think I am shocked at the price increase, more that they didn't extend other options.
My shock was completely based on my following post edit, self inflicted.

EDIT: My shock was based on pure assumption that the availability of DLR passes for out of state guests was a potential sign that WDW would follow suit. Given the Genie+ making it way to both coasts I was hopeful the pass programs would be as well. My own fault for putting ideas into my head of wishful thinking.

HI! Not challenging you, just need some direction. Where did you get the info that oos can only purchase Incredible-pass. I don't see that, but I may be missing it. Thanks!

This is right from the Disney website. The first 3 passes are Florida resident (or DVC) only. The Incredi Pass is the only option for out of state.

651A5B69-6D77-4BC1-9286-0FD9D233FC3D.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter