• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New England vacation ideas

I’m from New England. Since your bulleted list was prioritizing the beach my first suggestion would Cape Cod and I would recommend the shoulder season, May or early June avoiding Memorial Day weekend.

My second suggestion would be Rhode Island.

Those are the two areas I go to go to the beach. Both will offer whale watching and good seafood restaurants. The Cape will have more things like mini golf. If you went to Rhode Island you could easily go to Mystic, CT which has a fun little “Main St” shopping area with a drawbridge and the drawbridge ice cream shop area, a seaport, and the aquarium. Great seafood in this area.

I love Maine but the water is very cold. Connecticut beaches are just ok.

Happy to answer question.

Edit: if you do go to Mystic I do not recommend Mystic pizza. I get it was in the movie but there are way better options in that area. CT has amazing pizza but you’d be disappointed if that was your CT pizza experience.
and that little 'downtown' of Mystic is chock full of AMAZING places to eat- Sift is the number 1 on top of course- love spending part of the day down there wandering around. Beaches nearby , the easiest is Misquamicut- there's a whole row of beach coastline from here up thru Watch Hill etc, I like the basic state run beach b/c i thas the easiest parking situation. That strip is beaches along there is so pretty. Old Orchard,or Portland Maine are also great places to visit.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fun and interesting spots for a family vacation in New England. It's something I've been considering for next year or the year after - maybe in the late spring/early summer months. We would want to go for a long weekend.

It would be myself, my dad, my brother, my SIL, and my niece. She would be a little over one or two years old depending on if we went next year or the following.

My family has been going to Disney since I was 10 and we've gone almost every year since. (My parents are DVC owners). And at my age now - early 30s - going to Disney has felt kind of... stale? I want to see and do different things. Plus, with genie+ and all of the additional expenses, not to mention the rising costs of the annual passes, I'm beginning to feel as if the cost isn't worth what I'm getting out of it.

So! I'm intrigued to find a fun little vacation to do around my general way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In terms of what we would find interesting (and by no means do we need to find something that has it all; that would be unrealistic):
  • Access to the beach
  • Access to restaurants
  • Whale Watches or other nature tours, etc.
  • Activities that my niece could enjoy
I really appreciate the help! Thank you! :)

(Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong form! I saw a few posts in here in regards to traveling to other places, so I thought this is where it would go.)
As you're seeing, the New England region, while small and easy to navigate, has a lot to offer so it depends on what you want, but you can do a lot of things easily due the small sized states. No one here has mentioned the Freedom Trail if you go to Boston (that I saw) so I'd suggest that if you're into US History and want to see things like Paul Revere's house. In Boston, the North End has great Italian and Back Bay has great shopping. Eating a lobster roll while you're here is a must (assuming you like lobster).

As you're seeing, the New England region, while small and easy to navigate, has a lot to offer so it depends on what you want, but you can do a lot of things easily due the small sized states. No one here has mentioned the Freedom Trail if you go to Boston (that I saw) so I'd suggest that if you're into US History and want to see things like Paul Revere's house. In Boston, the North End has great Italian and Back Bay has great shopping. Eating a lobster roll while you're here is a must (assuming you like lobster).
Yes, the freedom trail is a great idea too and definitely as you go through the north end pick up a big cannoli at Mike’s (really good) or Modern. Quincy Market is on it ( Fanuel Hall), as well.
As you can see, OP, there is a lot to do in NE. Depending on when you go can also go to Fenway for a RS game.

We vacationed in New Hampshire/Maine in 2019 and liked it so much we went back last year. For us, it was easy to fly into either Manchester, NH or Boston and drive to our destinations.
A couple of really fun things we enjoyed: Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch State Park (NH), driving the Kancamangus Highway, and the Mail Boat tour in Portland, ME.
Acadia was our favorite but laying on the huge boulders while the ocean crashes below is probably not what you want to do with a 2-year old.

We vacationed in New Hampshire/Maine in 2019 and liked it so much we went back last year. For us, it was easy to fly into either Manchester, NH or Boston and drive to our destinations.
A couple of really fun things we enjoyed: Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch State Park (NH), driving the Kancamangus Highway, and the Mail Boat tour in Portland, ME.
Acadia was our favorite but laying on the huge boulders while the ocean crashes below is probably not what you want to do with a 2-year old.
I'm glad you liked it here. I've only lived in this region for 9 years but tell people it's my favourite part of the country. There's just so much to do here.

If you ever want to come to Vermont..hit me up. I will send you to some good places :)

It's not good for ocean beaches, but I would also recommend White Mountains, NH. There are lakes (like Echo Lake Beach) for swimming, hikes, shopping in North Conway, and 3 really fun attractions for toddlers: Clark's Trading Post, Story Land, and Santa's Village. You can drive up Mount Washington or take the railway, which is cool.

I live in RI, and late spring/early summer is not the best beach time. The air temp starts to get warm, but the water is still pretty cold.

Under Canvas by Acadia. It was awesome!!! We also enjoyed Salem and could have spent more time than I had allowed.

It's not good for ocean beaches, but I would also recommend White Mountains, NH. There are lakes (like Echo Lake Beach) for swimming, hikes, shopping in North Conway, and 3 really fun attractions for toddlers: Clark's Trading Post, Story Land, and Santa's Village. You can drive up Mount Washington or take the railway, which is cool.

I live in RI, and late spring/early summer is not the best beach time. The air temp starts to get warm, but the water is still pretty cold.
I'm gonna second Storyland and Clarks, great places esp. for younger kids!

When doing some googling, I came across Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor! Is there anywhere in particular you like to stay when you go to Acadia? Or do you camp there?
I grew up not far from Acadia. Staying in Bar Harbor at peak season is going to get pricey. Ellsworth is not far and would be more affordable if you don’t mind driving to get to the park and town.

Ice Cream is one reason we're considering Cape Cod. We don't want to skip Sundae School. Back in the 1980s and early 90s, we lived in Central Mass and rented a cottage at the Cape every June. Also, DH and I honeymooned at Red Jacket Resort in Yarmouth 41 years ago. So we're thinking of a nostalgia-type of trip next year. However, we're bird-watchers now and planning to do lots of bird-watching this trip. Somehow we think that the North Shore, Gloucester area, with its whale watches might be better. We'd go either late May/early June or September. We'd go up to Acadia but it's just too impractical from where we are -"You can't get there from here." Any suggestions?

Ice Cream is one reason we're considering Cape Cod. We don't want to skip Sundae School. Back in the 1980s and early 90s, we lived in Central Mass and rented a cottage at the Cape every June. Also, DH and I honeymooned at Red Jacket Resort in Yarmouth 41 years ago. So we're thinking of a nostalgia-type of trip next year. However, we're bird-watchers now and planning to do lots of bird-watching this trip. Somehow we think that the North Shore, Gloucester area, with its whale watches might be better. We'd go either late May/early June or September. We'd go up to Acadia but it's just too impractical from where we are -"You can't get there from here." Any suggestions?
Cape Cod National Seashore is fantastic- last time we went out there it was a wonderland and an endless beach hike! seals, birds,etc. I personally prefer Maine or RI to Cape Cod proper in general except for that wild seashore area. Acadia is breathtaking. Since I live in the NE any of these places is a fairly short drive and we tend to do a lot of short visits here and there (my least visited state is def. Vermont lol)

Yes, the freedom trail is a great idea too and definitely as you go through the north end pick up a big cannoli at Mike’s (really good) or Modern. Quincy Market is on it ( Fanuel Hall), as well.
As you can see, OP, there is a lot to do in NE. Depending on when you go can also go to Fenway for a RS game.
We usually take visitors to do all of that and you can do a tour of Fenway when it’s closed which is pretty cool. Boston also has some really good museums like the Museum of Science. There is a new Lego discovery center. I think the fall is the best time to come to NE. The pretty leaves, apple picking, the annual agricultural fairs like the Big E, scenic railroad rides, cranberry bogs and the King Richard’s Fair, spooky and historic stuff in Salem, Six flags, and and the best weather. You can still do the beach but probably not for a swim. Boston also has an aquarium and the Franklin Park Zoo but I like Roger Williams park zoo in RI and the aquarium in Mystic CT better. There really is something for everyone here.

I live in Massachusetts and we've taken many vacations in the White Mountains of NH, so that's what I'd recommend. You have plenty of lodging options on either side of Kancamagus (North Conway or Lincoln). Santa's Village is such a great park with fun rides. Story Land is also great for kids. Clarks is my 3rd choice up that way. Also, fun is Lost River and Polar Caves... both have lots of caves to crawl through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter