New Orleans Square replacing Frontierland?

I think it’s huckleberry Finn book that’s banned.
Not the adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Absolutely outrageous. Neither of those books are banned in FL. Huck Finn was removed from required high school reading lists in Burbank, CA. Those books have been challenged over time due to racial stereotypes and language. In many states like New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado and ,yes, Florida. But removed from library circulation? Not that I know of.

No footbridge would just bring in the noise and it would no longer be an island. They would get rid of the rafts since cheaper to operate foot bridge.

The whole point of Tom Sawyer island is to get away from civilization.

I mean, you're right, but how many guests actually want to get away from civilization while at WDW? It doesn't seem like it's a popular stop anymore, I'm sure Disney has the metrics on how many guests partake and would make any decision accordingly.

I don't know whether I think they'd actually do it or not, but I think a NO re-theme could be a welcome change. I personally like the idea. I love classic Disney, I love Country Bear Jamboree, but I also wouldn't classify myself as a Disney purist. It makes sense to me that rides/attractions would and should change and be updated over time (just don't touch my Carousel of Progress 😂 ). To me Frontierland as it stands feels like it falls a little short of it's full potential. The dining there is not particularly interesting, Tom Sawyer Island and CBJ aren't top draws for most visitors.

A re-theme might help freshen it up. Add a couple of new/interesting NO-themed dining options, update TSI to something a little more relevant and interesting (I think the play area is still a great idea, but an update is overdue). Possibly an unpopular opinion, but maybe a new/updated iteration of CBJ than leans a little more bayou.... Liberty Belle fits right in. BTMR would still stand out a bit, but maybe a bit of re-theming with the surrounding landscaping could help. And if they actually go through with the expansion behind BMTR there might be a way to segue into say, a Coco area.

Honestly, MK has the most attractions. The other parks really need to add more. They have an empty slot in Tomorrowland - they should fill that at least before doing anything drastic.
Agreed. I think adding to the other parks would help dramatically with MK overcrowding.

I don't know whether I think they'd actually do it or not, but I think a NO re-theme could be a welcome change. I personally like the idea. I love classic Disney, I love Country Bear Jamboree, but I also wouldn't classify myself as a Disney purist. It makes sense to me that rides/attractions would and should change and be updated over time (just don't touch my Carousel of Progress 😂 ). To me Frontierland as it stands feels like it falls a little short of it's full potential. The dining there is not particularly interesting, Tom Sawyer Island and CBJ aren't top draws for most visitors.

A re-theme might help freshen it up. Add a couple of new/interesting NO-themed dining options, update TSI to something a little more relevant and interesting (I think the play area is still a great idea, but an update is overdue). Possibly an unpopular opinion, but maybe a new/updated iteration of CBJ than leans a little more bayou.... Liberty Belle fits right in. BTMR would still stand out a bit, but maybe a bit of re-theming with the surrounding landscaping could help. And if they actually go through with the expansion behind BMTR there might be a way to segue into say, a Coco area.

While I agree that Frontierland could use soem updating, I'd hate to see it changed to a New Orleans theme. I would prefer that Disney find a way to make it more engaging and connected, typically done with IP. Without strong Western IP though, it's a tough sell. The often rumored Big Thunder Mountain media project might be a good way to make that work. It needs to be big and lavish though, with a hook like POTC had. I am up for any refreshes. I like the CBJ, but I woudln't be against updating it some (they had an ill-fated movie, so probably not like that). Anything goes for TSI too. They need t have something that's must-do over there! At Disneyland Paris, Big Thunder is actually on the island, but the ride loads on the mainland and there is a connecting tunnel for the trains. Maybe they could work out something like that - though that's a HUGE undertaking.

TSI is certainly large enough to park an attraction (or even 2) on, particularly if they go with screen tech. The current problem with it from my POV is that the hours are so much shorter than those of the rest of the park.

A normal pedestrian bridge wouldn't cut it if they wanted to keep the boat, as it's iconic. For that, you'd need a vertical lift drawbridge. (The boat *is* slow, and doesn't run the full day, so a drawbridge could be workable.) Of course, that's a honkin' big piece of machinery if it's tall enough to let the boat through, but Florida has a lot of them, so there is no shortage of parts and expertise around, and they could put some very fun light effects on the towers. Heck, they could even call the drawbridge a ride, if they could somehow let folks go up with the bridge deck just for the view over the park.

A normal pedestrian bridge wouldn't cut it if they wanted to keep the boat, as it's iconic. For that, you'd need a vertical lift drawbridge.
Why not a swing bridge?

You seem very disillusioned recently, you know you can look at other things if Disney doesn't make you happy anymore right?
Their statement, sadly, is correct. They used to worry about sight lines, now they don't. That is clear by GoTG and Tron. No theming to the outside of the show building, no effort to hide it. And the barges in EPCOT. Illuminations, they moved them in and out. To save money, they made them stationary.
Compare that to the show building for Pirates or HM.

Their statement, sadly, is correct. They used to worry about sight lines, now they don't. That is clear by GoTG and Tron. No theming to the outside of the show building, no effort to hide it. And the barges in EPCOT. Illuminations, they moved them in and out. To save money, they made them stationary.
Compare that to the show building for Pirates or HM.
Next to those barges, the one that stands out to me is behind Galaxy's Edge. That just looks terrible driving into WDW imo. Our family jokes and calls it the ninth wonder of the world - just after the backside of water lol.

Considering they put careful effort into theming sightlines between ToT and World Showcase to look nice, it amazes me that WDW couldn't "pretty" up the back of Galaxy's Edge....somehow.

Next to those barges, the one that stands out to me is behind Galaxy's Edge. That just looks terrible driving into WDW imo. Our family jokes and calls it the ninth wonder of the world - just after the backside of water lol.

Considering they put careful effort into theming sightlines between ToT and World Showcase to look nice, it amazes me that WDW couldn't "pretty" up the back of Galaxy's Edge....somehow.

Yeah, but you can't see that from inside any of the parks. Carsland is like that in DCA - the back is visible form the street. It just wasn't practical to hide it. I do agree that at WDW they should have tried a little harder though.

The large, nondescript buildings for GotG and TRON don't bother me so much because they work okay in the areas that they are in. A little something would be nice, but since they are "future" areas, it's okay. It would be much worse to have those visible in area set in past time periods like Adventureland.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you can't see that from inside any of the parks. Carsland is like that in DCA - the back is visible form the street. It just wasn't practical to hide it. I do agree that at WDW they should have tried a little harder though.

The large, nondescript buildings for GotG and TRON don't bother me so much because they work okay in the areas that they are in. A little something would be nice, but since they are "future" areas, it's okay. It would be much worse to have those visible in area set in past time periods like Adventureland.
Honestly, if they'd just hide those posts, that would make a huge difference so it looks less obvious, I think it would look fine. I haven't seen Carsland :). It seems other backstage areas of WDW look way better hidden even if they aren't totally hidden; far better than GE does.

GotG and TRON don't bother me either because they do fit as you point out. To be honest, when we saw TRON lit up last June at night, long before it was completed, I thought it added a nice nighttime vibe to Tomorrowland! Didn't even really pay attention to the building because my eyes were drawn to the canopy and the lights. Excited to see it later this year.

Honestly, if they'd just hide those posts, that would make a huge difference so it looks less obvious, I think it would look fine. I haven't seen Carsland :). It seems other backstage areas of WDW look way better hidden even if they aren't totally hidden; far better than GE does.

GotG and TRON don't bother me either because they do fit as you point out. To be honest, when we saw TRON lit up last June at night, long before it was completed, I thought it added a nice nighttime vibe to Tomorrowland! Didn't even really pay attention to the building because my eyes were drawn to the canopy and the lights. Excited to see it later this year.

Carsland looks like this from the back:

filename-2012-04-17-10.jpg

They don't own the land immediately behind it so there's not a lot that they can do.

No no, they can't take Pecos Bills. You have to keep it under the bridge to include Big Thunder. This area can be The Bayou:

View attachment 754005
This is the only option really, with an expansion option out North West. There is only 1 small back-stage building and retention pond to negotiate to double the size of this area. It's not overly large, but you could fit a beignet stand/location or other small cafe/restaurant. Otherwise you could demo the back cast buildings and go into another complete land. If they do this I want a rescuers subsection.

If you want to keep the riverboat in play, I think you have to do a couple of things.
No idea where the utilidors are in relations to the water, but I think you make "mining tunnels" under the water way to TSI.
Perhaps use the riverboat as some sort of transportation(in addition to paths) to the back side of big thunder.
As cool as the rafts are to TSI they aren't that practical. Another option to the island would help.
Of course you can't get rid of the rafts either, as they are part of the rescue plan for the riverboat if it gets disabled on course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter