New Orleans Square replacing Frontierland?

Perhaps theming it more toward US history in general as opposed to the frontier/western period only. The early 20th century of Tiana would fit in as well as BTMRR and the transitional section heading toward Adventureland. It would also tie in with Liberty Square, using that as the starting point for your journey through history. I don’t have a catchy name for it though . . .

I would be very sorry to see them get rid of the riverboat. It’s a great attraction for families who can’t do thrill rides, and I always take a trip or two when in MK. TSI is another low key attraction. Any time I have gone over there, the rafts have been packed and the island plenty busy. I think if there has to be a new way to access TSI, the idea of providing access by going under the river is a good solution. Mining of all types has been a big part of our history, so it would fit in if themed well.

I have nothing against NOS at DL, but the Florida park doesn’t have the same layout, so it wouldn’t feel like a “square” the way it does at DL. Actually, if you think about it, having BTMRR and Tiana near each other isn’t so far fetched. As it stands now, we go from Liberty Square, as the NE and mid-Atlantic states, to the frontier of the gold rush days in areas such as the western Plains and eastern Rockies, then to the South in the Mississippi River and Louisiana for TSI and Tiana and then to the southwest in northern AZ/NM and southern UT/NV for BTMRR. It may not be the best transition Disney has done, but it’s not as bad as it could be.

Perhaps theming it more toward US history in general as opposed to the frontier/western period only. The early 20th century of Tiana would fit in as well as BTMRR and the transitional section heading toward Adventureland. It would also tie in with Liberty Square, using that as the starting point for your journey through history. I don’t have a catchy name for it though . . .

I would be very sorry to see them get rid of the riverboat. It’s a great attraction for families who can’t do thrill rides, and I always take a trip or two when in MK. TSI is another low key attraction. Any time I have gone over there, the rafts have been packed and the island plenty busy. I think if there has to be a new way to access TSI, the idea of providing access by going under the river is a good solution. Mining of all types has been a big part of our history, so it would fit in if themed well.

I have nothing against NOS at DL, but the Florida park doesn’t have the same layout, so it wouldn’t feel like a “square” the way it does at DL. Actually, if you think about it, having BTMRR and Tiana near each other isn’t so far fetched. As it stands now, we go from Liberty Square, as the NE and mid-Atlantic states, to the frontier of the gold rush days in areas such as the western Plains and eastern Rockies, then to the South in the Mississippi River and Louisiana for TSI and Tiana and then to the southwest in northern AZ/NM and southern UT/NV for BTMRR. It may not be the best transition Disney has done, but it’s not as bad as it could be.

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. Create a contiguous land with supsections of Liberty, Western, NOLA, etc. That's a totally acceptable compromise. You win the Internet for today with that! Disney, pay attention, please.

If you want to keep the riverboat in play, I think you have to do a couple of things.
No idea where the utilidors are in relations to the water, but I think you make "mining tunnels" under the water way to TSI.
Perhaps use the riverboat as some sort of transportation(in addition to paths) to the back side of big thunder.
As cool as the rafts are to TSI they aren't that practical. Another option to the island would help.
Of course you can't get rid of the rafts either, as they are part of the rescue plan for the riverboat if it gets disabled on course.
I love this idea. Tunnels are cool and I bet they could theme them well enough that it would be a fun thing to do every once in a while.

If you want to keep the riverboat in play, I think you have to do a couple of things.
No idea where the utilidors are in relations to the water, but I think you make "mining tunnels" under the water way to TSI.
Perhaps use the riverboat as some sort of transportation(in addition to paths) to the back side of big thunder.
As cool as the rafts are to TSI they aren't that practical. Another option to the island would help.
Of course you can't get rid of the rafts either, as they are part of the rescue plan for the riverboat if it gets disabled on course.
Utilidors aren't the issue. The end is basically at Pecos Bill's. The real issue is the water table being so close to the surface.

The word that initially came to mind was Americana. Not that catchy but that’s the word I most associate with the concept.

Yesterland? (offsets tomorrowland). American Yesteryear?

Yeah, I like the concept but am having touble coming up with a good name. I really dig that direction though - an overarching "Land" with sub-lands: Liberty Square, The Frontier, Rivers of America (Tom Sawyer Island) Louisiana Bayou, Western Mountains (BTTMR)....anything they want to add. It really works!

Utilidors aren't the issue. The end is basically at Pecos Bill's. The real issue is the water table being so close to the surface.

Any tunnel that's at that level in a subtropical climate is going to need a raised drainage floor with catch basins and continuous pumping. combined with extremely thick walls to resist collapse from pressure. The noise of the pumping system can be covered with music or sound effects, though. The "river" is quite shallow, so at least it wouldn't have to be drilled too far below grade.

WDW already has two water-bridges on property, so I think that if they wanted to do it, they could handle the engineering challenge.

And I have funny feeling that Critter Country will no doubt become part of New Orleans Square over at Disneyland, whereas the area surrounding The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh and the Hungry Bear Cafe will become Pooh Corner.

Is anyone else waiting to see the Louisiana Bayou in Tiana's that will not portray (take advantage of) bayou stereotypes?
Of course they will be there, to the same extent that they were in the film. Disney does tend to try to get around these things by limiting the stereotypes to the "talking animal" characters, but still.

(Of course, if you don't know rural S. Louisiana you might not even recognize a bayou stereotype; what you or I might recognize as a Boudreaux joke inference probably won't be picked up on by someone who has never met a rural Cajun.)

Like probably every other WDW fan who knows South Louisiana, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the suspension of disbelief required of the idea that anyone based out of New Orleans would build a food canning factory in a salt mine in the 1920s. Either you'd have to move all the product by pirougue, or have it take days going overland to get to a railhead for shipping across the state. (This being before the Corps of Engineers levees or Huey Long's road-building programs.)

Haven't read through ...

~ We knew many on the inside (they've all left now, COVID was the final break for some). One was a manager level in MK. What they told us almost TEN YEARS AGO was there were plenty of backroom discussions about how to fix Frontierland. They considered it dead space that was only used by guests to get to SM & BTM or watch a parade. The theme doesn't ring with most guests. Problem I think is that it is long and narrow so likely would need a substantial plan. Tom Sawyer Island was also a huge piece of dead real estate and there were discussions of building an attraction out there. CBJ is classic and has fans but every time we go in we are one of few watching.

I don't think there is a simple fix for it, they'd have to be bold and really do a number on it. There are lots of options but I think they need a huge plan to make it all work. I don't think the average guest will miss much of what folks here find important they stay. The change to SM might be the catalyst to really change the future of Frontierland. I think it's a positive.

EDITED: I removed part, I'll just say the graphics floating are anything anyone of us could have sat down and worked out if you are inclined. There is nothing behind the graphic other than a conversation starter.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a simple fix for it, they'd have to be bold and really do a number on it. There are lots of options but I think they need a huge plan to make it all work. I don't think the average guest will miss much of what folks here find important they stay. The change to SM might be the catalyst to really change the future of Frontierland. I think it's a positive.
So True. If Fontierland disappeared tomorrow, I don't think most people would notice. for many, it's a walkway to get from Haunted Mansion to BTMRR. Way past time for renovation.

So True. If Fontierland disappeared tomorrow, I don't think most people would notice. for many, it's a walkway to get from Haunted Mansion to BTMRR. Way past time for renovation.
YUP. I've been going to Disney since it opened. I walk right through. Every so often we do Country Bears for some seats and AC but otherwise I wouldn't miss a thing there. I think most would embrace something new.

Any tunnel that's at that level in a subtropical climate is going to need a raised drainage floor with catch basins and continuous pumping. combined with extremely thick walls to resist collapse from pressure. The noise of the pumping system can be covered with music or sound effects, though. The "river" is quite shallow, so at least it wouldn't have to be drilled too far below grade.

WDW already has two water-bridges on property, so I think that if they wanted to do it, they could handle the engineering challenge.
Disney's entire utilidor system is above grade because of the flooding (the 7 Seas Lagoon is where Disney dug out the dirt to build up Magic Kingdom). They aren't going to build a walk-way that would be the lowest point in the park that regularly receives rain and is below the water table. They occasionally have issues with flooding now, just wait until a tropical storm hits. A tunnel is an obvious failpoint that I can only hope any reasonable individual working on that project will object to, and that's before we look at where this tunnel is going. It would have to support the weight of Rivers of America, and the track that the paddle boat travels along.

Another option could be a draw bridge, but given how often the Paddle Boat comes around, I don't think that one's very viable either.

Just watched a Vlog talking about a plan to remodel Frontierland to New Orleans Square. Not sure if I believe that rumor, but with the change to Splash Mountain, changing Frontierland does make sense.
What would they do with Big Thunder? MK already has Liberty Square, which I think supposedly was the themed replacement for New Orlean's square.

My "blue sky" proposal to add New Orleans Square at WDW (originally posted when the change to Splash Mountain was first announced):

WDW New Orleans Square.jpg

Original post here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...vision-for-new-orleans-square-at-wdw.3806297/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter