New Rule Cracks Down on ESA’s on Planes

It technically doesn't do anything other than give the authority to individual carriers to enact their own policy regarding it. The redefinition of service animal allows the airlines to clearly make the distinction between service and emotional support to their passengers. Whether a particular airline still allows emotional support animals seems to be up to them.

This also means people who are concerned about breed still won't have any standing when it comes to a service animal as the definition carries on as regardless of breed.

It technically doesn't do anything other than give the authority to individual carriers to enact their own policy regarding it. The redefinition of service animal allows the airlines to clearly make the distinction between service and emotional support to their passengers. Whether a particular airline still allows emotional support animals seems to be up to them.

This also means people who are concerned about breed still won't have any standing when it comes to a service animal as the definition carries on as regardless of breed.
Correct BUT I think a lot of the US carriers will not allow them. They get enough complaints and the animals make enough of a mess that the revenue they get from the pets’ owners don’t outweigh what they spending on cleaning and customer satisfaction

Correct BUT I think a lot of the US carriers will not allow them. They get enough complaints and the animals make enough of a mess that the revenue they get from the pets’ owners don’t outweigh what they spending on cleaning and customer satisfaction
Yeah I'm sure the airlines are really thinking hard on their stance as they had already been tightening up in the last what year or two?. I do wonder will COVID make them even more tight or will they be willing to let that go in lieu of getting people to fly again? Hard to say.

*not that I'm wanting this thread to be a COVID thread I just would have had more confidence in them being really really hard on ESA's before this whole mess.

From a European POV, the whole ESA concept is absolutely ridiculous, and especially when it involves animals other than dogs, I'd hate to imagine what a flight would be like if, for example, one brought their emotional support pig onboard. That's why I'm glad we never have this problem on our side of the Pond.

The redefinition of service animal ... the definition carries on as regardless of breed.

Just to note an important distinction -- the official definition of "service animal" has NOT been redefined. What has been redefined is which animals the airlines may be willing to transport in the passenger area vs the cargo hold. The ADA holds the official definition of a service animal.

Just to note an important distinction -- the official definition of "service animal" has NOT been redefined. What has been redefined is which animals the airlines may be willing to transport in the passenger area vs the cargo hold. The ADA holds the official definition of a service animal.
I was meaning this from the article: "The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals defines a service animal as a dog, regardless of breed or type, that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability."

The service animal is being limited to dogs and dogs alone. Before miniature horses were included in that (and I guess they considered that as well as capuchin monkeys). And to make it clear I'm speaking only as this issue pertains to the DOT and flying which is the topic of the thread. ADA and HUD are ones that have their own rules and are not the governing bodies of airline travel.

Last edited:
The CNN story is not terribly well-written. We have a thread on the Transportation Board, in which I cited a CNBC story that explains the changes much better.

Two big changes:
  1. Psychiatric service animals are now mandated to be carried by the airlines. This had been an initiative of several veterans organizations and other advocacy groups.
  2. Airlines are no longer required to allow "emotional support animals" in the cabin. They can not only require the animals travel in the cargo hold, they can also charge a fee for them. The freak-outs at the gate are going to be worth the cost of a ticket!
Here's a link to that thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/faa-changes-service-dog-and-esa-flight-rules.3819575/

The CNN story is not terribly well-written. We have a thread on the Transportation Board, in which I cited a CNBC story that explains the changes much better.

Two big changes:
  1. Psychiatric service animals are now mandated to be carried by the airlines. This had been an initiative of several veterans organizations and other advocacy groups.
  2. Airlines are no longer required to allow "emotional support animals" in the cabin. They can not only require the animals travel in the cargo hold, they can also charge a fee for them. The freak-outs at the gate are going to be worth the cost of a ticket!
Here's a link to that thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/faa-changes-service-dog-and-esa-flight-rules.3819575/
No disrespect here but why can't we just continue to discuss it on this thread? Just link the CNBC story and discuss it here :)

The definition was not changed, but the application was expanded to include legitimate service animals which are needed for psychiatric or other mental disabilities . Not support...disability.

No disrespect here but why can't we just continue to discuss it on this thread? Just link the CNBC story and discuss it here :)
Nobody said anything about not discussing it here. :confused3

And no disrespect...but you're welcome to post the link as well.

Nobody said anything about not discussing it here. :confused3

And no disrespect...but you're welcome to post the link as well.
Sorry it's just you came on to this thread and your first comment is about the original story not being good enough, you linked a better one in a different thread it's a thread you started and then you link the thread. Kind of made it sound like you wanted us to jump onto your thread instead. Sorry if I read that wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter