Well, now I have a decision to make.

I upgraded to an AP this year since I was planning a 2nd trip in Nov.

Since the AP is good until Feb 2020, I was thinking about a short solo trip in Jan, just to get my money’s worth from the AP.

Do I go the weekend prior before the potential crowds, or do I go for it and choose opening weekend, hoping it will be as easy to get around as it has been since SWGE opened?

Decisions decisions...

What's the capacity like on this attraction?

While it will obviously result in increased attendances, I'm hoping it's more than offset by the capacity of the ride and the fact that it will pull people away from other areas of the park.

Well you nailed the SWGE predictions! So can I get your opinion? If our choices were just before ROTR opens, the first week of February, the first week of March, or the last week of June/July before the 4th, when would you go?..
You've been on this board long enough to see what a gamble it can be to try to second guess the crowds at DLR. Basing your trip only on what you think will be a low crowd time is often a losing game. If this is going to continually stress you out by keeping you second guessing your dates from announcement to announcement and month to month, don't keep second guessing! Pick the dates that work best for your family, make your best plans here, and go have a great time! You've read the trip reports proving that this can really work. And you've probably also seen the trip reports from people who put all their DLR eggs in one "low crowd" basket and lost their bet. Crowds alone don't have to ruin a trip. But stressing over micromanaging every single detail? That's exhausting and not very magical! You're doing very thorough planning here (good job!) -- and you're going to have a great trip with your family. Keep telling yourself that!

@Astylla : after this morning's announcement about ROTR, I remembered your post about overhearing the Imagineers talking in Red Rose Taverne. They wanted an opening date pushed to early 2020. Sounds like they got their wish!

You've been on this board long enough to see what a gamble it can be to try to second guess the crowds at DLR. Basing your trip only on what you think will be a low crowd time is often a losing game. If this is going to continually stress you out by keeping you second guessing your dates from announcement to announcement and month to month, don't keep second guessing! Pick the dates that work best for your family, make your best plans here, and go have a great time! You've read the trip reports proving that this can really work. And you've probably also seen the trip reports from people who put all their DLR eggs in one "low crowd" basket and lost their bet. Crowds alone don't have to ruin a trip. But stressing over micromanaging every single detail? That's exhausting and not very magical! You're doing very thorough planning here (good job!) -- and you're going to have a great trip with your family. Keep telling yourself that!
You're right, and Skygirl gave essentially the same advice. It's hard not to be reactionary when we're all so dialed in to the day-to-day in the parks and wanting to have the best experience possible. Especially when it's not only the crowds that are a gamble but other things like merch that could sell out in three days and be gone for months. Anyway, I stopped by the office of a coworker today to tell her about the ROTR announcement. She's been to Disneyland MANY times, even holding an AP for a few years even though we are states away, and she had no clue what I was talking about. They're going in October because they want to go in October. And we will stay with March because we want to go in March :)

But we are already talking about a return visit in 2021 😝

... But we are already talking about a return visit in 2021 😝
Details at DLR come and go, rides come and go, crowds wax and wane... and you know what? The magic is always there! Every. single. time. Make your plans, take a deep breath, relax, and let the magic find you! (And get ready to start planning your next trip after 2021! 'Cause DLR has a way of doing that to you...)

I feel so conflicted. It has been a roller coaster waiting for SW:GE, all the way since summer 2017 when the 2019 opening was announced. We've changed plans a bazillion times since we're out of state, trying to time season passes, saving DVC points, and dealing with the crazy price increases. We're leaving tomorrow for our trip, but I'm wondering if I should scrap plans for the rest of the year. Our original plan was to do WDW in Jan 2020 until the premium pass price was raised so high.

Reactions: EmJ
Not sure how I feel about the news. I was pretty sure that picking December would ensure both rides would be open with all locals having had plenty of time in the land and on the rides to elevate some crowding. When they announced the ROTR opening would be delayed, I started to worry about opening crowds again. Well, I guess I'll be avoiding some crowds now that out-of-state visitors will begin to push their trips into 2020. I will get to ride ROTR in the summer of 2020 at WDW. Not quite the way I wanted things to go, but at least I can now move forward with fewer unknowns.

Last edited:
Details at DLR come and go, rides come and go, crowds wax and wane... and you know what? The magic is always there! Every. single. time. Make your plans, take a deep breath, relax, and let the magic find you! (And get ready to start planning your next trip after 2021! 'Cause DLR has a way of doing that to you...)
Well, not that anyone particularly cares about my family's personal travel plans, lol, but DH and I decided to move our DL trip from the first week of March to the last week of March. We will hopefully hit a sweet spot between the end of spring break and the beginning of Easter (and can still tell The Boy we are going "in March" haha), but if not, it doesn't matter. The real reason we moved our trip is that we are 99% committed to upgrading our 5-day tickets to the Flex Pass at the end of our trip, which would then allow us to return in 2021 over our son's kindergarten spring break at a substantial savings. Double Disney here we come!

Great advice, I find if I just go with a plan of what we really want to do and be flexible our trips are a blast. We tick stuff off as we do it. Every night I ask everyone if there is something we didn't do that they really wanted to and we make sure to do that the next day as early as possible. I have a hard time over planning and this helps me from just taking over the entire trip.

This will be perfect timing for gigantic crowds, which would get massive media attention and posts on social media. This is if Disney offers the local 3-day pass they have done the last few years. I predict they will.

THIS👆 :thumbsup2 :hippie:

Hey all,

Can anyone who has been to Droid Depot let me know if you can build R2 -D2?

My son wants to build R2 but I have been watching tons of footage and haven't seen all of his parts. I've seen the Silver with Blue dome...but haven't seen the body. I've seen the body in reversed Blue with Silver...and haven't seen the legs.

I know you can buy him boxed and pre-built but my son wants to select the parts and build him...

I’ve heard 2500/hour.

Wow!! I just read an article that said the ride time for this attraction is approximately 23-30 minutes long (because it’s 4 rides in 1, apparently) and DH was wondering how many people they could move through an attraction that long...if it’s 2500 an hour, I’m impressed! Just wish it was opening sooner. I’m dying to see this one!!🤩

Wow!! I just read an article that said the ride time for this attraction is approximately 23-30 minutes long (because it’s 4 rides in 1, apparently) and DH was wondering how many people they could move through an attraction that long...if it’s 2500 an hour, I’m impressed! Just wish it was opening sooner. I’m dying to see this one!!🤩
That time starts from and includes the preshows.

They’ve had people working on the DL one 24/7 for months. Just last week, the samples man at my local Trader Joe’s was telling a coworker that he had barely seen his boyfriend lately because he’s working overnight every night on “the new Star Wars ride they can’t get open.” I’ve mentioned here that it’s been described as “hemorrhaging money” and “extremely broken.”

Whatever choices they’re making now, I don’t think there’s been a lack of effort to get the DL version open. It does sound like they’re maybe redirecting efforts to DW at this point, but I don’t think that’s been the case all along. And they have to make the choices now that they think will increase revenue the most.
I have a feeling the stage of construction at WDW vs. DLR when the problems arose has something to do with WDW getting their RoTR first. I could definitely be wrong, of course.

I was hoping for a little more cushion time between the ride opening and our trip, but I'll take it. I really wanted it to be open for our next trip and I'm excited to experience it.
If you watch the DSNY Newscast on the announced opening dates Jack says the sensors were misaligned under the floors and that is causing issues with the trackless vehicles. He's suggesting they will have to deconstruct things to fix the problem. So it seems like WDW would get finished slightly earlier because it needs less deconstructing maybe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter