I’m not sure if this is old news or not, but the Rancor beer flight boards are back in stock.
Thanks! I hope they stick around through the holiday weekend. I’m out of town tomorrow and Sunday but can go to the park Monday. I made a reservation for 8:50am on Monday lol. We can get them any time of the day right?

Thanks! I hope they stick around through the holiday weekend. I’m out of town tomorrow and Sunday but can go to the park Monday. I made a reservation for 8:50am on Monday lol. We can get them any time of the day right?
My reservation was at 10:40 today, and they were for sale then.

For anyone wondering if you can get pilots as a party of two, my son and I both got pilot yesterday. I was the left pilot and he was the right and he complained that I wasn’t any good at it, lol, but the CM just handed the cards out in the order we were standing in and we were the ones in front. We plan to ride single rider tomorrow so we can try gunner and engineer.

I laughed a lot when the pilots were so bad in one of the recent rides. Why does it have to be perfect? So you miss a few buttons. so what? It doesn't make the ride bad, just different. which it is every time to some degree. When I was engineer I just listened for the sounds and then smashed the buttons and then watched more of the ride. you don't need to keep turning to it to look. Just whenever... What's to stress about?

I know Rise is scheduled to open Jan 17. I am booked Feb 7 - 15.

I know this is over thinking it (but don't we all). I see different scenerios happening.

1. Everyone will flock to the park for the first week, month, 6 months? And the crowds will be insane.
2. Most will stay away because they are afraid number 1 will happen.
3. Everyone will think number 2 will happen since that's what happed when GE opened, so they will flock to the park.
4. Everyone will be in GE and the rest of the park will not be crowded.
1.5 Everyone will flock to the park, GE will be at capacity, so the entire park will be crowded.

I of course know that no one knows the answer. No one certainly knew the answer when GE opened. But I was just wondering what your all thoughts were on the matter. I am going no matter what.

February starts my year of Disneyland, which I do every couple years. I live in Denver and get annual passes usually every other year and make about 3 trips. And I'm ready to have an amazing time no matter what! Just wanted to hear what other over thinkers are feeling.

Cheers!

This September starts my first “Year of Disneyland” with my second trip planned for Feb 1-6. My February trip is adults only and we are all over thinkers, over planners. We’ve talked about what it might be like and all decided to do five day hoppers (except me because I’ll have my first ever AP) just in case it’s nuts and we have to maneuver around big crowds. We’ll be pleasantly surprised if it’s not so bad.

My own theory right now is your #3 scenario. The one thing in our favor is WDW opening first. Crossing my fingers it draws people east!

Last edited:

Can I do secret option 6?

6. The expectation that ROTR will cause thousands of people to descend on Disneyland en masse will not materialize, for many of the same reasons the crowds did not show up for SWGE and some new ones, including cost, fan controversy, lack of appeal (for whatever reason) for Star Wars fans who are not Disney fans, as well as time of year and likely frequent ride malfunction in the beginning.

I don't know, guys and gals. The SWGE reception at WDW was underwhelming, even with a hurricane on its way. There is something about this land that Disney didn't expect, and it looks like it wasn't (solely) due to Anaheim's high AP holder percentage being blocked out. And I say that as someone who is very excited to visit, and whose spouse and child might actually spontaneously combust from the anticipation before we get there. But something didn't go "right".

I think the economy and what Disney does with pricing will influence your trip more than this ride will.

Also, outside of the first few days, a lot will depend on how good it actually is. If it’s incredible, no one’s blocked out, and there’s a ticket deal or something running? You could get a lot of locals showing up over that first month.

I often find February to have a lot of unhappy visitors - lots of refurbs, limited hours and entertainment, etc. - so I’ll also be interested to see how they handle those things next year.

I laughed a lot when the pilots were so bad in one of the recent rides. Why does it have to be perfect? So you miss a few buttons. so what? It doesn't make the ride bad, just different. which it is every time to some degree. When I was engineer I just listened for the sounds and then smashed the buttons and then watched more of the ride. you don't need to keep turning to it to look. Just whenever... What's to stress about?
Some will want a ‘committed flight crew” and a game plan/goal. When I ride, I now expect to capture two tubes of coaxium and earn a final score above 6000 credits. We’ll hope the PLAY app is cooperating so we can get the credit, via the app, at the end of the ride. I’ve earned the Marauder achievement (score between 6000-9999?) but missed out on Pirate (10k+) due to app hiccups. You bet I want that Pirate achievement ... and will be working on each future ride to get it! It takes an alert and eager crew to improve their scores over time.

Can I do secret option 6?

6. The expectation that ROTR will cause thousands of people to descend on Disneyland en masse will not materialize, for many of the same reasons the crowds did not show up for SWGE and some new ones, including cost, fan controversy, lack of appeal (for whatever reason) for Star Wars fans who are not Disney fans, as well as time of year and likely frequent ride malfunction in the beginning.

I don't know, guys and gals. The SWGE reception at WDW was underwhelming, even with a hurricane on its way. There is something about this land that Disney didn't expect, and it looks like it wasn't (solely) due to Anaheim's high AP holder percentage being blocked out. And I say that as someone who is very excited to visit, and whose spouse and child might actually spontaneously combust from the anticipation before we get there. But something didn't go "right".
I mean, plain and simple, there’s not a lot to DO at SWGE (at least, not a lot to do if you don’t want to spend money).

As someone who visits frequently, I think it’s a beautiful, immersive, awesome land. I love hanging out there. And we’ve had some very special character encounters, CM experiences, etc. It really does feel like you’ve left Disneyland when you’re on Batuu, and there are a lot of delightful little touches if you’re able to just wander and enjoy.

But I understand why a lot of visitors would show up, walk through once (maybe not being lucky enough to have character interactions or anything), ride the ride (which is fun but not everyone’s cup of tea), and then go, “huh, that was it? Ok, off to Tomorrowland!” Not everyone wants to “wander and enjoy” when they’re paying so much to be in the parks, and even if they do, there’s little shade and the nice wandering areas can be crowded. So, even though I personally really enjoy the land, I understand the criticism when it comes to a lack of actual content.

To be honest...I’m not sure any of these you have listed will be spot on. I think many have delayed trips because of the fear of crowds or wanting to see the land once Rise is open. The combination of these and other factors, I think the start of the year will be busy. But I also think the fact that many see WDW as the bigger Disney vacation destination, and the fact that SWGE has opened there as well, we just don’t know how things are going to progress. Crowds have been hard to guess this summer and I think it will be another interesting year for sure at DLR.

The ride, by all accounts, should be an absolute smash hit. I can see a lot of locals returning the first couple weeks it is open. I ALSO fully expect Disney to really ramp up the special offers/discounts for that time period. They NEED Rise of the Resistance to move the needle. They need it to be an absolute home run of a ride, and they need as much hype as possible to bring in the crowds. Again today, we got news of more cutbacks at DLR entertainment. Not good heading into the busy holiday season. Things are not going well at Disneyland and anyone saying otherwise is in denial. AP blackouts have largely lifted and still, the parks are slow. I mean, it is Friday night of a holiday weekend and most ride waits are under 20 minutes. That is unheard of.

Some will want a ‘committed flight crew” and a game plan/goal. When I ride, I now expect to capture two tubes of coaxium and earn a final score above 6000 credits. We’ll hope the PLAY app is cooperating so we can get the credit, via the app, at the end of the ride. I’ve earned the Marauder achievement (score between 6000-9999?) but missed out on Pirate (10k+) due to app hiccups. You bet I want that Pirate achievement ... and will be working on each future ride to get it! It takes an alert and eager crew to improve their scores over time.

You can capture TWO containers? LOL. My crews have all obviously been terrible.

The ride, by all accounts, should be an absolute smash hit. I can see a lot of locals returning the first couple weeks it is open. I ALSO fully expect Disney to really ramp up the special offers/discounts for that time period. They NEED Rise of the Resistance to move the needle. They need it to be an absolute home run of a ride, and they need as much hype as possible to bring in the crowds. Again today, we got news of more cutbacks at DLR entertainment. Not good heading into the busy holiday season. Things are not going well at Disneyland and anyone saying otherwise is in denial. AP blackouts have largely lifted and still, the parks are slow. I mean, it is Friday night of a holiday weekend and most ride waits are under 20 minutes. That is unheard of.
Perhaps the biggest risk is that Disney runs a bunch of ticket promotions/special discounts to draw in the crowds... and ROTR doesn't work. No matter how awesome the ride, the first few months are always bumpy (look at Hagrid's coaster). So then you have a park full of guests who are "displaced" to other rides--and their lines.

Regarding the AP blockouts being lifted and the parks still being slow... do you think that is because many AP holders did not renew? I mean, it doesn't make sense that building SWGE would actually drive people away from the park who otherwise would want to be there. They could just go to the other lands and avoid Galaxy's Edge. And it's not exactly a secret that the land is not swamped with rabid Star Wars fans. So it's curious. What is keeping the APs away now?

Perhaps the biggest risk is that Disney runs a bunch of ticket promotions/special discounts to draw in the crowds... and ROTR doesn't work. No matter how awesome the ride, the first few months are always bumpy (look at Hagrid's coaster). So then you have a park full of guests who are "displaced" to other rides--and their lines.

If they can't get it working reliably from day 1, it is going to be a very ugly situation, PR wise. There is a lot riding on this ride giving the land "street cred." They better get it right.

Regarding the AP blockouts being lifted and the parks still being slow... do you think that is because many AP holders did not renew? I mean, it doesn't make sense that building SWGE would actually drive people away from the park who otherwise would want to be there. They could just go to the other lands and avoid Galaxy's Edge. And it's not exactly a secret that the land is not swamped with rabid Star Wars fans. So it's curious. What is keeping the APs away now?

I think it's very possible that many people didn't renew. I know a few families who didn't.

You can capture TWO containers? LOL. My crews have all obviously been terrible.
You are just getting familiarized with the game! After a few repeat experiences you’ll know where the booster and brakes buttons are (Left Pilot) ... and how to stay behind the train ... etc. You’ll get better each time!

I mean, it is Friday night of a holiday weekend and most ride waits are under 20 minutes. That is unheard of.
I was hesitant to go this weekend figuring the holiday weekend would bring crowds, but just an hour ago there were a lot more dining reservations open for tomorrow than I thought I’d see. Maybe the crowds will come, or maybe the heat will keep people away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter