New to DVC - Debating Home Resort

So we went through when we’d most likely stay, and studio & one bedroom point needs for different resorts and numbers of days and it looks like we’d maybe be ok with 200 points (for now, ha!) Looking at current resale contracts that have 200 points, the price per point varies quite a bit and I’m not always sure I understand what justifies it?

For example - (in the use years we’re focusing on) one of the lowest 200 point Poly contracts is $164/point (has most of the 2022 & 2023 points) and the lowest Bay Lake Tower one is $171/point (has a lot of the points drained.) I know it’s really only a difference of $1400 in the grand scheme of things but that’s almost one year of dues. So is it just the availability of more than studios and the easier walk to the MK that makes the BLT price point higher? Or are there other reasons?
Vague answer, supply and demand.

The Poly currently only has Studios and crazy expensive bungalows. The announced tower also has people holding off purchasing as they are hoping for direct incentives when it is done, waiting to see if it will be part of Poly I's association, what the rooms will be like, how many, etc.

BLT doesn't have any of those issues and gets the extra bathroom for 1BR and 2 BR. (Poly's extra shower is nice but doesn't have a toilet so is not as good as the full bath )

Much like the original poster, I'm about to wade in and leaning toward BWV after running a gazillion calculations (I'm actually pretty proud of my spreadsheets on this!!!). I know everyone says to avoid 2042 resorts like the plague but would love to hear from someone who doesn't see this as a bad thing! I tend to go to Disney by myself, though the fam might join me once every few years, or use points at HH or VB for a family vacation. I am not put off by 2042 - I don't want to burden them with something they don't want and having to figure out how to rent points/sell if I don't outlive the contract. I was going with the "buy where you want to stay" and less money over time. Am I crazy?

Much like the original poster, I'm about to wade in and leaning toward BWV after running a gazillion calculations (I'm actually pretty proud of my spreadsheets on this!!!). I know everyone says to avoid 2042 resorts like the plague but would love to hear from someone who doesn't see this as a bad thing! I tend to go to Disney by myself, though the fam might join me once every few years, or use points at HH or VB for a family vacation. I am not put off by 2042 - I don't want to burden them with something they don't want and having to figure out how to rent points/sell if I don't outlive the contract. I was going with the "buy where you want to stay" and less money over time. Am I crazy?
No. You’re not crazy. You researched it and know the pros and cons. You’re ok with the purchase considering the pros and cons. And at the end of the day, you want this and it’s your money. Go for it.

nope, I just bought into BWV with a small resale contract specifically because we will get 19 years of a prime location for Epcot and Studios. Even if we run it out to the end, it would still bring plenty of value.

Sounds like you have emotionally and financially figured out what works for you. To contrast, my oldest daughter is keen to take over our DVC when the time comes. Thus the contract year end date matters. Come 2060 who knows how much a Disney vacation will cost. But if that's not you then 2042 is also a long way off. 19 years of a certainty is still of good value at a good price.

Good luck!

Nope. Amazing resort. Great points chart. No extreme long commitment and it will make you happy. Look, we all want to justify our purchases and decisions that work for each one of us. Hell, I would advocate strongly about resale until I purchased a direct contract and justified why I did that. I never thought I would. Life is way too short to not be happy about your purchase or not be at the resort you want to be at. BWV was the first DVC resort we stayed at and love it to this day. Made a purchase at another resort since that was where we were at in terms of parks and now I wish I was near Epcot.

No! DVC is a luxury purchase. It should make you happy. If you can afford DVC, the good feeling you may get from the best deal will soon be forgotten if you end up staying somewhere besides the place you want to be.

We love the BWV. especially the location. We stay there every time we go, sometimes after 2 or 3 nights at another resort. IMO, unless you really don't care where you stay, buying where you want to be is the way to go!

We bought BCV last year for our first resort. You are not crazy.

My math worked toward how much will it cost to get the vacation I want. BCV and BWV were the best of those I considered. (Also VGF, Poly, BLT as I wanted easy access to either Epcot or MK & Monorail.)

While the contract isn’t as long, you can get a better vacation (room size / duration) at the older resorts as they have a much better point chart. So getting enough points at VGF for a week each year was nearly double the buy in price of BCV / BWV.

Price per point you receive over the life might not be good for 2042 resorts but based upon many factors (age being a big one as we are mid forties) BCV and BWV were our last contenders for purchase. The pool, proximity to Epcot (we don’t care for HS), and the contracts available at the time of purchase cinched it for us to go BCV.

Nope. Amazing resort. Great points chart. No extreme long commitment and it will make you happy. Look, we all want to justify our purchases and decisions that work for each one of us. Hell, I would advocate strongly about resale until I purchased a direct contract and justified why I did that. I never thought I would. Life is way too short to not be happy about your purchase or not be at the resort you want to be at. BWV was the first DVC resort we stayed at and love it to this day. Made a purchase at another resort since that was where we were at in terms of parks and now I wish I was near Epcot.
Must admit, I've been tempted a time or two before and was actually going to buy direct (before they changed the minimum contract size). Now sort of kicking myself for not wading in, but the timing wasn't right and at this point, since I don't know what I don't know, figure I won't cry about perks I won't get that I've never had ;)

Not at all! BW is awesome, and while DH and I are 56 and 50, the 2042 is fine for us, and we still have direct RR to pass to the kids for longer dates if they're still interested and we're physically/financially able to go. We're toying with BW resale (small) for all the reasons everyone loves it. And 19 years of vacations with easy access as you age and wandering around the lake at night, it's lovely.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is whether or not that's where you want to stay. If BWV is where you really want to stay, the value is in the 20 years of vacations you'll have there, not the fact that you save 50 cents per point by going for a more budget friendly resort. Go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter