New Walker's Sharing Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maria, or anyone else with more experience than me. I've never used Bodyglide, but as I build up my distances I can see where I might need it. I've noticed after my longer walks that I usually have two different spots on my feet that are red (no blisters), but I think that an even longer walk could bring more irritation. Would areas like those be where I would use Bodyglide or do you just use it all over your feet? I feel silly asking, but I've found I'm always ahead to ask more experienced people for advice.

Sharon

Maria, or anyone else with more experience than me. I've never used Bodyglide, but as I build up my distances I can see where I might need it. I've noticed after my longer walks that I usually have two different spots on my feet that are red (no blisters), but I think that an even longer walk could bring more irritation. Would areas like those be where I would use Bodyglide or do you just use it all over your feet? I feel silly asking, but I've found I'm always ahead to ask more experienced people for advice.

Sharon

In training I usually use it just on the "hot spot" areas like you noticed. For the Goofy, I bodyglide my whole feet. Things can happen in races that don't happen in training. I use it on other high chafe areas. Great Stuff!!!

In training I usually use it just on the "hot spot" areas like you noticed. For the Goofy, I bodyglide my whole feet. Things can happen in races that don't happen in training. I use it on other high chafe areas. Great Stuff!!!

What Robert said -- I only use it on "hot spots" for daily training, but cover my entire feet (and hot spot general areas) for longer walks. Body glide, the antidote to chub (and other) rub!:goodvibes

Maria

DH used body glide as well for the 1/2, on parts of the body......(Dave and Robert this is not a topic to open up again:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ) worked great for him no problems at all.

I saw many men while volunteering for the full with bleeding nips....looked extremely painful, that body glide stuff worked great for DH.

Thanks Maria, Can't wait for my cruise....where my only running/walking will be chasing down the waiter for my pina colada!!!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

Kim

Kim (hockeychic) told me it was about time I started to post for myself.

so here I am, Mike hockeychics hubby

Thanks for the encouragement, all.

Liz, she said to sit on a chair and let my foot dangle, then use either an ankle weight or balance a soft weight on the top of my foot and lift it. She said a couple sets of 8 or 10 reps would be good.

Dave - Thanks for starting this new thread. I love "talking" with other walkers :cool1:

My Dsis and I are training for both the Cap City Half in Columbus on April 12th and the Minnie 15k a few weeks later. This is my 4th 1/2 marathon, so I am respectful of the distance, but not scared of it. My 1/2 times have been between 3:09 and 3:13.

I don't want to aggravate the bursitis in my hip by pushing the half too hard and then be in pain for the Minnie since the 15 min mile pace has to be maintained. I am not going to miss my third and final Minnie Medal :woohoo:

I am planning on doing the half at a slower than normal pace, but I am not sure how to rest and then ramp up again for the Minnie :confused3

Anyone have any suggestions on a recovery/ramp up plan to use between the 2 events?

Thanks for any help.
Kathy

OK, so THIS is where everyone has been hanging out! It's like you guys had a party and didn't invite me :confused3 A big thank-you to whomever (Dave? Lily?) posted the link to this new thread on the old thread. Otherwise, I'd still be roaming around homeless. :rotfl:

Welcome Margie and Mike: :welcome: Glad to have you here!

Dave: good luck with the dental work. I know it's a bummer because it could be good Disney money, but you'll have a smile like George Clooney when it's over and done with......and all the princesses will be swooning 24/7!

Connie: so glad your hubby received good news!

Nancy: I DID get your pm but it was long and I wanted to respond to all the individual items, but haven't had a chance. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Wendy: will you be seeing the movie at Brier Creek? Maybe we could even get together before for a quick dinner or something. Have you heard about the Raleigh Rocks half marathon in early April? John and I plan to do that one because it's cheap and easy! I emailed the contact person about pacing requirements and he said it was going to be much easier than the City of Oaks. He never actually told me what the time restrictions were but I gave him my time and he said I'd be well within the window.

Kim (and others concerned about blisters): I really like the Injini toe socks. Robert and Linda recommended them when we met during Tower of Terror and now I can't imagine how I ever did without them. They are about $12/pair, but worth every cent.

Hope I didn't miss anyone.....have agreat evening!

Jeanne

Lots of folks in this group have mentioned their love affairs with Body Glide, so I wanted to let everyone in on my little body glide buddy: Body Glide Warm FX. This stuff is the same consistency as regular Body Glide, is available in the same 2 sizes, but it works like BenGay and gets hot :cool1:

For those of us who love a heat rub, this stuff is fantastic!!! :worship:

The body glide packaging makes it easy to carry in my race pack and apply while on a race course. My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't get all over my fingers, so I don't rub it into my eyes or end up getting it in my race food and drinks. BenGay flavored water is in a word "YUCKY":headache:

I found this at a race expo and was hooked :love:

Ask your local running shop about it. You can also order over the web. I got mine at GotBody.com because they offer both the large and more compact sizes and a flat shipping rate.

My high school age niece and college age son even asked me to get some of the small sizes for their respective workout bags. Just keep Warm FX in a baggie so the distinctive menthol doesn't permeate everything in the gym bag :rolleyes1 Please note that once you put it on, the smell disappears more quickly than regular old bengay.

Kathy

Kathy thanks for the info on the Body Glide. I'm planning on fixing up a body Glide stick with Nair and slipping it into Bill's workout bag. Don't tell anyone.

Tricky Panda:hippie:

Kim (and others concerned about blisters): I really like the Injini toe socks. Robert and Linda recommended them when we met during Tower of Terror and now I can't imagine how I ever did without them. They are about $12/pair, but worth every cent.

Jeanne

We knew you would like them. You can learn lots of running tips if you show up to Dave's post Tot race party at BWV pool. You will be surprised at the tip we have for this year:rolleyes:

Wow, I guess I'd better stock up on Bodyglide. :) Thanks for all the tips (not nips) on using it. :goodvibes

Wendy: will you be seeing the movie at Brier Creek? Maybe we could even get together before for a quick dinner or something. Have you heard about the Raleigh Rocks half marathon in early April? John and I plan to do that one because it's cheap and easy! I emailed the contact person about pacing requirements and he said it was going to be much easier than the City of Oaks. He never actually told me what the time restrictions were but I gave him my time and he said I'd be well within the window.

Jeanne, have I told you lately that I am so glad you are my friend??? No, I hadn't heard about the Raleigh Rocks Half -- I knew about the Inside Out Classic Half on Mar 30 which officially has a 3-hour time limit, but records time till 3:15 (15 minute pace). It's in Cary. I signed up for the Raleigh Rocks Half and the IO Classic Half. We'll see which one I actually finish! :) And yep, I got tickets at Brier Creek because that's where you and John were going to be. :thumbsup2 I'd love to get together for dinner. I really wanted to do the Crystal Coast Half, but never got a response from Butch about the time limit -- he's the same RD that's doing the Raleigh Rocks Half, though, so maybe it's a possibility.

Kathy -- Super finish times!

ms.mightyduck -- Hang in there!

Mike -- Eh! (Is that a Fonzie "eh"?) Good to see you here!

Kim, Maria, Beth, and everybody else -- I love you but I gotta go to work! Keep walking -- and posting!!!

Wendy: some people at the Y yold me about the Raleigh Rocks Half-marathon when I got back from WDW, but I couldn't find anything about it online at the time. (That was how I stumbled upon the nudie run :rotfl:) I tried again about a week ago and there it was. Not much information, so that was why I had to contact Butch. He got back to me very quickly, so maybe something went awry with your email about Crystal Coast. I also saw the stuff about the Inside Out Classic, but figured 2 events so close together was not my style (We cannot all be "machines" like you!) Brier Creek has a ton of places to eat (but no Olive Garden :sad2:) The ones that quickly come to mind are Applebees, Red Robin, Carolina Ale, Johnny Carinos (which we really didn't like) and I am sure there are half a dozen more. This should be fun!

Good morning everyone else! It seems I have been running around like a crazy person all week!

Morning everyone. We have been having a heat wave here in PA with temps in the 60's. To bad I was working and couldn't do my walks outside. It still gets dark here before 6pm.

Jeanne-- You are turning into a racing machine. Soon you will be doing as many races as Wendy. I know my pm was long, and would take time to respond just checking that you got it. I wish Lehigh Valley hadn't been the week before Minnie as I would have like to have done a half in the spring. Got my airfare for Minnie. Now need to start looking for the cruise.

Kim--- I didn't realize you were doing a cruise. Is it DCL and where are you going?

Welcome Dennis:welcome:

Kathy--- Does that Body Glide Warm FX smell like Bengay? I have so many aches and pains during a long walk, I might have to coat my entire body in the stuff.

Regarding socks, Beth and I attend a seminar where we received free samples of X-Static socks. These are socks which have silver imbedded in them. They have alot other properties also, but are used by the military and diabetics to help with heat control, moisture control, and athlete's foot. After I got them I used them for all my long walks and the marathon. I had no problems whatever with blisters or any hot spots on my feet. I plan to buy more of them as they were wonderful. It was one of the few products that I get at conferences that I can use myself.

Have a great day everyone.

Nancy

Nancy - the Body Glide Warm FX does smell like Bengay, but the smell disappears pretty quick once you apply it :thumbsup2

Some of my long walks are no problem, but on others that little stick is my best friend. I'd rather give up my IPOD than my Warm FX :love:

Dave - if you add the Nair, Bill will become more aerodynamic :idea: and goodness knows how that would affect his times :rotfl2:

Have a great day
Kathy

Nancy - the Body Glide Warm FX does smell like Bengay, but the smell disappears pretty quick once you apply it :thumbsup2

Some of my long walks are no problem, but on others that little stick is my best friend. I'd rather give up my IPOD than my Warm FX :love:

Dave - if you add the Nair, Bill will become more aerodynamic :idea: and goodness knows how that would affect his times :rotfl2:

Have a great day
Kathy

I was hoping for more of a dog with mange look for Bill.

Robert I walked and did stretching routine along with some calistetics. Both of us could do with some regular stretching. I will if you will.

Jeanne when do you not run around like a crazy woman. You are our resident energizer bunny.

Yesterday it was 74 degrees, today it's 36. Kentucky, gotta love it. But it is inexpensive living. I know you New Englanders and Calif folks have very high costs of living.

Have an awesome day guys.

Walker Panda:hippie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter