New York hotels with DVC points

goofy4dvc

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DH and I are planning a trip to NYC (a first for both of us) and, with the cost of hotels, we are considering using our DVC points to book Shelbourne at Murray Hill or The Regency (Loew's). Does anyone have any information on any of these? Shelbourne takes fewer points than the Regency, but from looking at the map, the Regency is a better location. How important is this? We plan to go to a Yankees game (if we can get tickets), one or two Broadway shows, and the usual touristy stuff (Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc.)

Also, if anyone has any tips of getting tix for the Yankees and Jersey Boys (Broadway show), please advise. I plan to call the phone numbers on the websites tomorrow, but thought there may be a better way. I know about the half-price Broadway show tix but Jersey Boys will sell out and I don't want to take the chance. Tix to Jersey Boys and a Yankee game are a deal breaker.

I planned our two week trip to Scotland and Ireland, but for some reason planning our NYC trip is freaking me out!

www.broadwaybox.com has discount codes. Sometimes you can find tickets to "sold out" shows there as well.

Edited to add: We were able to find reasonably-priced Lion King tickets by playing with the dates on Ticketmaster.

Good luck with your planning!

I think anywhere in Manhattan is okay taxis are so easy to get and truly aren't that expensive
jersey Boys excellent however lots of cursing put my dear mother off a bit
yankee tix huh?? met fan myself however try to go on discussion boards a lot of season ticket holders sell the seats they can't use thats how we get NY Ranger tix
have a wonderful trip:woohoo:

We are in Manhattan on vacation now. We chose to stay at the Doubletree Times Square (cash, not on points). We did a bunch of stuff today and are up in the room geeking out on our laptops before going out for the night. If you book a room here on the higher floors internet access is included.

If you decide to not use points you may want to look into this hotel. Not super fancy like most NYC hotels but still very nice. Everything is clean, kept up and the staff is extrmely nice. But don't eat in the restaurant here or order room service -it is mediocre at best. There are tons of markets and restaurants within walking distance that are much better.

All the rooms are suites; we got one with 2 double beds. It is nice because we can kick back and relax and not feel like we are trapped in a hotel room. There is a wet bar area that also has a fridge, microwave and a safe.

Someone mentioned taxis....well in Time Square at least you can't look sideways without spotting a cab. The doorman at this hotel (and all others I am sure) can always hail a taxi for you. We took a cab to the Battery Park dock for a Statue of Liberty tour on Monday. Taxi fare ran about $16.00 per way before tip.

This hotel is also centrally located to a lot of theaters. We walked a block and a half to the show we saw last night. I have been told the theater we are going to tomorrow night is also within walking distance.

We also stayed at the Regency on DVC points and enjoyed it. Not sure I'd use that many points again, but it was nice for a quick trip.

The Regency is a "fancier" hotel than the Shelburne but both are terrific places to stay. The Regency is located a little more uptown (but still midtown Manhattan) -- you'd be closer to the Madison Avenue and FIfth Avenue shopping -- Bloomingdale's, Saks, etc. But taxis and subways take you everywhere!

The Shelburne is very close to Grand Central which would give you a hub to all the subways -- might be a good choice if you're going up to Yankee Stadium.

Not sure what's left but if you go to www.yankees.com and click on "Schedule" it will bring up their whole schedule. When you click on the "T" on a date it takes you to Ticketmaster and you can try to buy tickets. If that fails, I hear Stub Hub is a good source for tickets.

Do what you want with your points, enjoy them.

We want to do this same thing too. My son would flip to see the Yankees....so please let us know how your trip goes. We live about 3 1/2 hours from NYC and have never been.

Thanks, everyone! Will definitely check out stubhub!

Thanks also for your views of the hotels. I really don't want to use the points, but DH says he'd rather use them than pay cash. So, we'll see. I think I will map both hotels, and map the things we want to do and see and figure out which hotel would work out best for us.

DH and I are planning a trip to NYC (a first for both of us) and, with the cost of hotels, we are considering using our DVC points to book Shelbourne at Murray Hill or The Regency (Loew's). Does anyone have any information on any of these? Shelbourne takes fewer points than the Regency, but from looking at the map, the Regency is a better location. How important is this? We plan to go to a Yankees game (if we can get tickets), one or two Broadway shows, and the usual touristy stuff (Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc.)

I planned our two week trip to Scotland and Ireland, but for some reason planning our NYC trip is freaking me out!

Native NY'er here. Don't let the city freak you out. It is super easy to get around. I've stayed at both hotels on points, usually when DH and I want a quick getaway without the kids and don't want to spend a lot of time traveling.
Empire state building (34th st) and times square- Broadway (42nd st) are ridiculously easy to get to, remember Manhattan is a small island. Since this is your first visit, do all the touristy stuff, walk up fifth ave from the Empire state building see all the really high end retail stores (Trump towers,Gucci etc) World of Disney has a huge store on 5th. Take a carriage ride around central park. Take a bus tour of all the neighborhoods like Little Italy, Soho, Harlem, South street seaport. In the middle of times square is the TKTS booth, stop there and see which shows you can get tickets to really, cheap. See whats playing "off broadway"
Have a great time, you'll love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter