Newbie from NC

I'm an Ohio transplant, but love living in WNC.

We have only visited WDW once since we have lived here, and we drove. We live west of Asheville, so we took 26 to 95. We came back on 75. Both trips took about 8 hours, but considering we used to drive it from Ohio, we were thrilled! We'll be driving again this June.

Can't wait to hit the highway:banana:

Hi, I live right next door. Spartanburg, Sc. We have only been to Disney once too but we are going back in September. We are flying out there.

We live just off (can see the top of 18 wheelers from our house) I95 near the VA. line. Our dd and her family live in Rocky Mount. We are driving down, leaving on Friday evening and going half way and then the rest on Sat. morning. We leave 9/26 and stay until 10/4.
Is a Small World, isn't it.
I have a sister and 2 neices in the Durham area.
:cheer2:

I checked on flights, but some of them would take us to NY and then to Orlando, I don't want to do that. We had originally wanted to pull our camper but they were book up thru part of next year so we will stay in All Star Movies.

We live just off (can see the top of 18 wheelers from our house) I95 near the VA. line. Our dd and her family live in Rocky Mount. We are driving down, leaving on Friday evening and going half way and then the rest on Sat. morning. We leave 9/26 and stay until 10/4.
Is a Small World, isn't it.
I have a sister and 2 neices in the Durham area.
:cheer2:

It is a small world!! We will be in WDW from Sept 14-20!! Can't wait!!

I'm from Mebane, NC and I'm a newbie too... Hillsborough isn't that far away from here maybe 15 minutes.

I'm going on my trip in November (16-22) and I'm kinda wondering whether it would be better to go then or in September.

It's so awesome that there are so many people in NC on here!

I went in Sept last year with Free Dining...and it was hot! The parks did not seem too crowded though. I am going again this year in Sept for a girls only trip and November for a family trip. I have never gone in November before but thanks to the DIS, it seems like a great time to go. They may offer Free Dining again this year in Sept that might make it worth switching to, depending on the size of your family. Either way, I wish you a safe and happy trip.

HI! I'm in NC too. I work in Cary.

We have driven to WDW, but our last two trips and next upcoming will fly from out of RDU on SouthWest. They have great price in IMO--especially if you can get a ding. I figure less than $200 per person is good, but then again, there is only two of us...NO kids...

MY SIL just flew Detla and had a HORRIBLE experience. Apparently they change the flights weekly on Sundays and there's changed 4 times! To make a long story short, they were supposed to arrive at WDW by 12N and didn't get there until 7pm... ugh!

All our experience with SW has been FANTASTIC!!! We've flown w/ them 3 times within the last 3 months and no complaints so far.

Stacie

All our experience with SW has been FANTASTIC!!! We've flown w/ them 3 times within the last 3 months and no complaints so far.

Stacie

The only thing I do not like about SW is their new policy about kids boarding. Families traveling with small children now have to board AFTER the business class. What a horrible rule! I think it's to EVERYONE's benefit to have the small kids get on first - who wants to stand in line with crazy toddlers and then have the line backed up while we deal with strollers/car seats/kids running away, etc. It has to be frustrating for all travelers, not just the parents. Sorry, I just had to share my feelings. (I know it's off-topic)

Hi, Everybody!
Another NC Diser here, I'm from Wilmington and we usually try to fly when we go. We have flown both out of ILM and RDU. Southwest was good, great fares. It's much more convenient to fly for us (me, DH and DS-7), However we have driven and are driving (unless a good Ding comes along!:) ) for Spring Break.
Kristilew---How long does it usually take you to drive? 8-10 hours or so for us, but we usually spend the night along the way.

Practically perfect---- We just got Allegiant Air here and they do advertise awesome fares, but they have alot of extra fees, taxes, they charge to reserve a seat and check bags and to get to WDW from Sanford you would have to rent a car or take a cab.....so by the time you factor in those costs it doesn't seem like such a good deal to me!

I usually go in Nov for SSW and the weather is usually great!! Hopefully, I'll be ther then as well.:cool1:

Hi, Everybody!
Another NC Diser here, I'm from Wilmington
Kristilew---How long does it usually take you to drive? 8-10 hours or so for us, but we usually spend the night along the way.

Practically perfect---- We just got Allegiant Air here and they do advertise awesome fares, but they have alot of extra fees, taxes, they charge to reserve a seat and check bags and to get to WDW from Sanford you would have to rent a car or take a cab.....so by the time you factor in those costs it doesn't seem like such a good deal to me!

QUOTE]

It usually takes us about 9 hours with a real lunch stop and shopping in St. Augustine. We leave around 6 am and do it in one day, usually with a dinner scheduled at WDW that night (to keep us moving!)

I agree about Allegiant Air. Especially when you consider the one flight they offer gets you in to Sanford at evening rush hour. You would pretty much be done for the day by the time you got checked in, so I would add the cost of first night of room to price. When we did fly, we took that early USAir flight and were on property by 2 ish.

QUOTE]

It usually takes us about 9 hours with a real lunch stop and shopping in St. Augustine. We leave around 6 am and do it in one day, usually with a dinner scheduled at WDW that night (to keep us moving!)

I agree about Allegiant Air. Especially when you consider the one flight they offer gets you in to Sanford at evening rush hour. You would pretty much be done for the day by the time you got checked in, so I would add the cost of first night of room to price. When we did fly, we took that early USAir flight and were on property by 2 ish.[/QUOTE]

When we fly we usually take that same early flight, the 7ish flight. I have taken the 6am flight and gotten there even earlier but then you are just tired from getting up so early!:)

I used to drive with my parents from Hillsborough, NC and we would stop and spend the night in Savannah. That was always fun because we would get to Disney early and have some time to plan the next few days in the parks. :cool1:

Once, we drove straight through and it took us around 9 hours. That was nothing compared to the drive from Hillsborough to Disney Land.:eek:

Hi, I am also from NC. Hey Stacie, I work right next door in Morrisville.
Hi Chappellfamily - can't wait - only 14 more days unitl we stay at WL !!
Karen

Hi, I am also from NC. Hey Stacie, I work right next door in Morrisville.
Hi Chappellfamily - can't wait - only 14 more days unitl we stay at WL !!
Karen

What a small world...I work in Morrisville too. Just off Airport Blvd.
Have a safe trip!!

Hey Hey. I just HAD to comment on the NC stuff! Im originally from Roxboro (I'll be suprised if ppl know where that is, haha) but now Im living in Greensboro.

My fam always drives to WDW too. We even drove to the FL Keys once. haha. But yeah, its not that bad... unless youre driving, then it can get kinda rough. But its SOO worth it when you get to WDW! :)

I took a week shopping around everywhere like:

Expedia, Travelocity, Cheapflights, Kayak, Priceline, Delta, US Airways, Southwest, Allegiant Air, & Skybus.

After a brain overload and thinking which one is better, I came up with this decision.

Expedia, Travelocity, & Cheapflights were about the same ticket price, but with fees. Nothing wrong with that, but when you are shopping you are looking for bottom dollar amount.

With Skybus & Allegiant, well they don't take you to Orlando International. Skybus takes you to St. Augestine (Near Jacksonville) and Allegiant Air takes you to Sanford airport (30 Minutes away). Other things about Skybus and Allegiant, all though they have great rates, they do have hidden charges if you don't pay attention (baggage check, select your seat, drinks, snacks, etc..) Allegiant Air I was honestly thinking about, but when you looked at the flight arrival times it was late in the afternoon and departure time early in the morning. Thats practically taking away two days from WDW. So you have to add that cost into the factor as well.

Now going to Delta, US Airways, & American Airlines, they have good rates and great flight times. They have assigned seating and the normal in flight amenities. I would have booked through them since round trip for 4 (2 Adults - 2 Children) would cost me $852.00, but I choose the option below.

Southwest airlines for the money had the same flight times as Delta, AA, & US Airways. The pricing was great @ $626.00. Thats a savings of over $200.00, who can argue with that. My flight arrives in MCO (Orlando) at 9:15am and departs @ 8:45pm.

Flying versus Driving (My Opinion)

Flying time = Total time = ~ 5 hrs. 45 mins.
(1.5 hours drive to RDU, 2 hr wait before flight, 1 hr 45 min. flight)
Disney Express time = Unknown, but it can't be 3.5 hrs.
Driving to airport cost = Google maps = 82 mi - about 1 hour 24 mins (can make in 1 hr)
(Van gets ~22 MPG, ~ $3.13 per gallon - DOE East Coast Average) $11.66 One Way - 23.32 Round Trip
You also have to figure normal wear and tear on the Tires, etc.. $0.15 per mile (According to AAA) = 12.30 One way or 24.60 Round Trip
Parking (Park & Ride) = $6/day = $54.00

Total Flying Money = ~$727.92

Driving Time = Google maps = ~ 628 mi – about 9 hours 51 mins (can probably make it in 9)
If driving (I would do all the driving) I would be exhausted and wouldn't enjoy my first day as much as I would if I was refreshed.
Money = (Van gets ~22 MPG, ~ $3.13 per gallon - DOE East Coast Average) $89.35 One Way - 178.70 Round Trip
You also have to figure normal wear and tear on the Tires, etc.. $0.15 per mile (According to AAA) = 94.20 One way or 188.40 Round Trip
You factor in a meal and snacks for this trip (Family of four):
McDonald's, etc.. : ~$20-35 per meal (One Meal) (Based on personal experience)
Snacks = ~$8.00 (Drinks, candy, etc...)

Grand Total for driving = ~$410.10

Driving saves you ~$317.82

You have to figure out what is best for your family. I wanted the convenience and for the price, its not worth the headache of driving.

I didn't factor in the parking cost for parks, but those are usually $10.00/day.

Well I hope that this helps people in the future planning trips. This is how I usually go by doing it. I know I know... its anal, but thats me :confused3

I am new on here too!! I live 2 miles from sunset beach...not sure if anyone knows where that is. We are planning a trip to disney in May with dh and dd4 and dd who is 7 months. We can't decide if we want to fly or drive either:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter