Newbie-haven't been to UO for at least 15 years.

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
Planning a trip in Jan 20-24, 2024. Trying to plan for 4 nights at UO in the middle of the trip. 4 adults, DD & partner in one room, DS and I in a second room. I don't think we're comfortable with 4 adults in one room. Just starting my research, it's a whole new world.
I'm reading on other posts about Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Is this available to any amex holder? Is there a cost to register?
Is it worth staying at a premiere level hotel if there are only 2 in the room taking advantage of Universal Express?
Do they usually have better deals closer to check in? Or is it best to book early?
Would it be worth it for 1 person to buy an annual pass to get the hotel discounts?
That's a lot of questions, I know. TIA

If EP is your exclusive reasoning for going with a premier hotel, it may not be particularly cost effective for 2 in the room & 4 nights. It also "shouldn't" be a particularly busy time of year, as a non-holiday weekend in later January. I would look at pricing and book something "now-ish," it is fully cancellable/refundable if you change your mind. I would then check for an AP discount as the dates get closer. Usually base hotel rates go up as you get closer (usually up a lot).

If you find the AP discount on your dates, just cancel & rebook. You can get the AP later, or even wait and upgrade your ticket to the AP when you get there. The price for a Seasonal AP (the cheapest one) is not too much more than the cost for a 4 day ticket. You can also upgrade to an AP that includes food/merch discounts, but for 4 days it might be hard to make up the cost difference in discounts. There is no discount on parking at the resorts, and all the APs get the same AP hotel rates.

I agree with the above post, I don’t think Express would be necessary if you are visiting for a few days near the end of January and are all adults.

In your situation if I had to choose between Express passes or two rooms for multiple nights, I would choose the two rooms.

If you find yourself in the exact same situation but at a very busy time there is a cheaper way than two deluxe rooms. You could split up and have one deluxe room and then they could stay at a value. You could add the other two adults to your deluxe room (as in adding their names “on paper”) you would have to pay the extra adult room fee but they don’t have to physically stay in the same room.

At the end of January as long as you have multiple days I don’t think you’ll need Express.

Thanks all for your wisdom. Will take these tips to my group. DD is a Harry Potter fan, so she's excited to get to UO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter