News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

I'm not at liberty to say... well, almost anything. So I won't. But I think I can offer this much: I'm feeling VERY optimistic that we'll soon hear something... and that we'll be pleased when we do. :) Fingers crossed and hang tight! Maybe start building some base mileage if you've been taking time off. ;)

Is this some kind of witness-protection scenario? ;-)

Watching the PGA and NBA playoffs this weekend…the dam has burst. I don’t know if it’s the right time for that to have happened and I know this isn’t the place to debate it. But it’s done.

I think there are going to be a lot of announcements about a lot of things on the horizon.

Watching the crowd engulf the PGA players was wild. Had the same thought as you as well. At this point the dam has burst.

just saying if they announce a live princess before gaspirilla 2022 registration comes out i may be tempted

Just how soon are we talking here?!
That I genuinely do not know. But my semi-educated guess is sometime in the next few weeks - I'm really just basing that on how things have been going with WDW announcements, and how long I think rD/WDW/TS need to plan for race registrations. I feel like WDW has some announcements to make first, before rD does any news - but again, that's not based on any info, just my hunch.

Is this some kind of witness-protection scenario? ;-)
LOL kinda!

As I recall, the runDisney events were started to draw people to the resorts during a slow period. I wonder if Disney really needs something like MW to drive more business especially because (1) many people are excited to travel again and (2) the 50th will drive more attendance on its own. Pre-COVID, the days of really low attendence at any time of year seemed to be gone.

I know that, based on reports from January 2021, that MW still a "dead" week that needs attendance support. Also, with kids doing remote schooling for the better part of year (plus), I can't see parents being able to justify taking kids out of school for a Disney trip - particularly right after the Christmas holidays.

Personally, I haven't seen Disney announce anything so far that makes me ga-ga for the 50th anniversary. So far it feels very cheap, as if someone was asking "how little money and effort can we put into this to draw more people, but not spend a single unnecessary penny?" Although, admittedly, I'm not a Disney-holic and spend a lot more time on the dark side (Universal).

Personally, I haven't seen Disney announce anything so far that makes me ga-ga for the 50th anniversary. So far it feels very cheap, as if someone was asking "how little money and effort can we put into this to draw more people, but not spend a single unnecessary penny?" Although, admittedly, I'm not a Disney-holic and spend a lot more time on the dark side (Universal).

I have to hope that at least some of this is down to there not being any way to announce shows, parades, fireworks, and other ways they might augment the celebration until the normal aspects of those things are back. I don’t think they want to detail anything unless they are sure it will be able to happen.

That’s not to say I have full confidence in a 50th Anniversary extravaganza with really cool and amazing new features (this is the company of the Mile 20 Spectacular). Just that it would be pretty difficult to announce anything right now.

I'm not at liberty to say... well, almost anything. So I won't. But I think I can offer this much: I'm feeling VERY optimistic that we'll soon hear something... and that we'll be pleased when we do. :) Fingers crossed and hang tight! Maybe start building some base mileage if you've been taking time off. ;)

yea!!!! I’m all excited again!

In fact, as I canvas all of the large marathons in the US (finishers > 10k) it now looks like the WDW Marathon is the sole holdout. Chicago, NYC, Marine Corps (DC), Los Angleles, Honolulu, San Diego all announced in person happening in 2021; Boston’s likewise a go for April 2022.

Boston is actually moved their event to October 2021 for 20,000 runners (virtual for 70,000) but it is happening this fall also.

I have to hope that at least some of this is down to there not being any way to announce shows, parades, fireworks, and other ways they might augment the celebration until the normal aspects of those things are back. I don’t think they want to detail anything unless they are sure it will be able to happen.

That’s not to say I have full confidence in a 50th Anniversary extravaganza with really cool and amazing new features (this is the company of the Mile 20 Spectacular). Just that it would be pretty difficult to announce anything right now.

I'm hoping that's it. However, with those "extras" gone for so long at this point, I could also see Disney thinking that people will be happy enough to have the old favorites come back and that there isn't any reason to spend money on something new. And the sad part is that they are probably right.

And I had just kind of convinced myself this past week that it wasn't going to happen and pick another goal (and another place to spend my vacation time and money). Thanks, Disney!

(Off to re-work the budget and stockpiling gift cards from Shopkicks)

Last edited:
I'm hoping that's it. However, with those "extras" gone for so long at this point, I could also see Disney thinking that people will be happy enough to have the old favorites come back and that there isn't any reason to spend money on something new. And the sad part is that they are probably right.

Not ashamed to say that I’d be more than happy just having Happily Ever After, Festival of Fantasy, Fantasmic, etc. back. I did my Covid trip in January; had a great time, really enjoyed not having FP+ and the lines just being the lines, it still felt like Disney. But…I’m not going to go back until parades and fireworks have returned. It was a fun and different experience once and, as an attraction focused person, I probably enjoyed it a little more than most but I’m waiting for everything to be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter