News from the BWV annual meeting - Dining plan

Chuck S said:
Plus tax, I'm guessing. The current plan charges room tax (11 or 13%) on top of that, since it is a "travel package". For this "new" free-standing version, I assume tax will be FL sales tax...which I think is 6.5% so total 2 adults for 9 nights = $728.27
Nope...tax is already included & can be used w/either MYW tix or AP's to gain entrance to in-park restaurants. Dining is not tied into park tix/AP's, but your DVC stay. Theoretically, you could by-pass the parks all together & visit sites outside (AK -Rainforest, Downtown Disney, Resort Hotels, etc.

One thing i am wondering....if i have some relatives coming down, some are in a studio, some in the 2 br. is my Dining Plan tied to my reservation or is it tied to the rooms? some don't want the dining plan and some of us do. We were going to do a GV but if splitting up the rooms solves that problem, i would.

Donna said:
One thing i am wondering....if i have some relatives coming down, some are in a studio, some in the 2 br. is my Dining Plan tied to my reservation or is it tied to the rooms? some don't want the dining plan and some of us do. We were going to do a GV but if splitting up the rooms solves that problem, i would.
All who are listed on the room reservation (the entire party) must purchase the dining plan for the length of stay. I assume that they'll put the plan on the Keys to the Kingdom card you get when you register (as they do @ the resorts, along with any MYW tix you purchase).

Are the studio & 2 br. two separate units that you booked concurrently. If so, shouldn't be a problem to purchase plan for either/both - if you desire.

Give MS a call, the CM I spoke to was well-versed in the plan's specs. when I called today - yea!

My wife and I are now cringing as our oldest will be 10 next year and will be considered a Disney Adult. I'm not sure if we'll be better off with renewing DDE or going with a meal plan. Either way, it's nice to have such choices!

keishashadow said:
All who are listed on the room reservation (the entire party) must purchase the dining plan for the length of stay. I assume that they'll put the plan on the Keys to the Kingdom card you get when you register (as they do @ the resorts, along with any MYW tix you purchase).

Are the studio & 2 br. two separate units that you booked concurrently. If so, shouldn't be a problem to purchase plan for either/both - if you desire.

Give MS a call, the CM I spoke to was well-versed in the plan's specs. when I called today - yea!

I have a GV booked now. If i change it to a studio (might need 2 separate studios) and a 2br, i guess if they're separate res. nos., they can take or leave the dining plan. i'm sure MS is getting or is going to get bombarded with situations like this. I will call tomorrow and see what they say.

Patty3 said:
I guess I need to get myself squared away on some of the DDE card perks. We get free valet parking???? Is that at all resorts?

I believe you have to show your dining receipt for that resort to get the free valet with the DDE.

DebbieB said:
I believe you have to show your dining receipt for that resort to get the free valet with the DDE.

We just flashed the card at the valet podium :).

I'm another vote for "Great news...but DDE will work better for us."

DDE - for those who asked - is the Disney Dining Experience card, available only for Florida residents ($75) or AP holders ($50). It's good for 12 months (13 months, if you play your cards right), and it gives 20% off ALL food and beverage at most Disney restaurants for up to 10 people at a meal. That's including alcoholic beverages, which all of the other discount plans exclude.

We just got our DDE card, and it's good until 12/31/06, which means we'll get three trips out of it. Our first meal on it will be Cindy's for 5, so we'll almost get our entire card cost back on that one meal. We'll also do several other dinners this trip, and will be well ahead by the end of this first trip.

Even if the meal plan doesn't meet our specific needs, I'm glad to see it. It's good for a lot of folks, and it's also an excellent selling point when renting points. No longer will renters have to struggle with the decision between CRO with the meal plan or DVC without...and that's good for everyone.

senecabeach said:
Can anyone share if the "Magic Your Way" dining is any better deal than the "Disney Dining Experience"?? :confused3

Pros...cons... :confused3

Is the difference that MYW includes counter services too?? :confused3

Did you miss my post above? Using Le Cellier and using Tusker house as the comparisons, we looked at the differences. Basically:

If you compare the two head to head, the dining plan is probably better. THis means you order an appetizer and desert at every table meal and desert at every counter service.

If you like the cheaper dishes, and don't order desert or appetizers, then the DDE is probably better. If you DO NOT want to do counter service and want to do all table service, then the DDE is a better choice.

I believe to do the DDE you need an Annual Pass. SO if you don't get an AP, then it isn't a option.

I was there in June and loved the dining plan. We tried a lot of different things we might not have normally tried and really made good use of the value. Others prefer DDE.

CapeCodFam said:
My wife and I are now cringing as our oldest will be 10 next year and will be considered a Disney Adult. I'm not sure if we'll be better off with renewing DDE or going with a meal plan. Either way, it's nice to have such choices!

Are you sure your oldest is 10? I mean, since he doesn't have ID, how can anyone be sure of his age? ;-)

lisaviolet said:
I've done both....MYW dining "free" in September at POP and just bought the DDE.

so..

1)both plans include CS locations

2) If you hate constant reservations MYW dining isn't for you. I know you have to make ressies sometimes with DDE but it is your choice. You don't lose out if you don't. I mean you could always use your TS at a restaurant that isn't as popular but it is a lot of planning.

3) Different "rules" at different locations can be (not always) but can be frustrating at times on MYW. These are non-Disney locations such as Wolfgang's Puck Express for example that will not allow you to drink bottled water for your meal even though MYW dining states "beverage". We ate breakfast (because we often shared and had tons left so breakfast wasn't a loss!) at Kona Cafe. KC is a TS. TS are appetizer, entree, drink and dessert. I understand the no dessert at breakfast. I've heard that Disney has changed their breakfast wording since I've been. But I was only allowed an entree for my TS no appetizer such as a grapefruit/ fruit cup etc.. I wasn't angry ....I just found these different rules very weird. And before you say "just don't go there" these strange rules seemed to be at some of my favourites....WP express, E of S, Kona Cafe.....

4) If you don't drink alcohol and you don't do a lot of sitdowns it might be hard to have any discounts beyond the $50 you spent on the DDE. That is my experience so far.

5) Snacks are the "vouchers" that are least used. I loved them. Ate grapes and other whole fruit every single day and more and they were gone early.

6) Sometimes you might forget to use your DDE. Sorry maybe that is just me but I forgot three times at CS locations on my last trip.

7) MYW dining is a lot of food but we shared all the time (didn't do many buffets) so that allowed us to use some for breakfast if we wanted or to make up signature (2 vouchers) dining. But we could share most meals using the DDE and not come close to 75.98 for the two of us in one day. Not even close.

8) MYW dining allows you to feel quite spoiled. I think that is the nicest part. I hadn't been in a sitdown restaurant in years. I scrimped to go to WDW. So it was wonderful feeling. I really enjoyed the variety and opportunity to just go to a restaurant and order whatever my little heart desired!!!

9) I have DVC now. For me that will mean that I will make use of the kitchenette/kitchen. Yeah!! Sometimes I get tired of eating out. So if you are like me, like to eat in on vacation, I think the DDE is much better than MYW dining. I know there are a lot of people who do not like to cook/eat in.

So I loved MYW dining....but it was "free" and really "free" b/c my rack rate at POP was only $77. Plus, tip was included. But I hate reservations so I would probably never pay for it. DDE....well for me it's a wait and see....if I can remember to take the darn thing out....plus I do mostly CS so I am not even sure if I'll break even.

I am going to WDW soon (solo) so I'll have to check out the lounges/bars and spoil myself with a drink too. That's a nice feature with DDE. You can eat/drink in the lounges and get the discount.

One thing is for sure. I love that DVCers and DVCers with APs have options.

I assume you are talking reservations for the TS restaurants. Because to get into the TS places with DDE or DP you usually need a reservation (unless I am missing something and DDE lets you skip to the head of the line... It would be worth $50 for that.) Otherwise, I assume you are going to use DDE for all counter service meals? Am I right or am I not understanding?

Sammie said:
Well hopefully everyone realizes that. The Dining plan would not be offered to anyone, including DVC if Disney was not going to make money off of it. They are not a charity. ;)

I agree. THe way I see it is they are taking the BEST BUY/WALMART approach with the Dining Plan. Instead of going for a few sales with HIGH Margins, they are lowering margins and then going for a lot more sales. They are going for the guarenteed dollars here and it is helping keep people on property and spending at Disney. PLUS, the biggest margin money maker in restaurants is Alcohol. Add in people still buying alcohol and I bet they are making a mint. Plus keeping people n property gets them to buy more souvenirs and do more things outside of the parks. It is a brilliant plan, sells to the consumer as a great value (which is is) and still makes disney money. Whoever came up with it and the bus service deserves a HUGE raise.

Can the DDE be use at Victoria and Alberts? So would you get 20% off the 140 for the meal and wine pairings for up to 10? Please let me know. THanks.

Remember that DDE is not able to be used at all CS locations. It is only where there are not TS alternatives. Example, no DDE on CS at MK, MGM or Epcot. Only AK, DDE is not good at all TS restaurants on property (though in fairness MYW dining is not either!). Really it is a matter of doing your research and knowing your own eating habits to determine the greater value. I had the DDE last year and it was good, but not great--20% really just covers your tips. With MYW it is all inclusive. So 37.99 per day per adult seems like a good deal and for my family of 4 would be 151.96 per day. LTT, alone with the price increase would be 112 before tax and tip ($141 total w/o DDE, $117 w/DDE) seems like MYW will be best for us especially since both kids are considered adults while dining.

yitbos96bb said:
Can the DDE be use at Victoria and Alberts? So would you get 20% off the 140 for the meal and wine pairings for up to 10? Please let me know. THanks.
Yes, but not for the Chef's table.

Chuck S said:
The justification depends upon your dining habits. We seldom order appetizer, entree AND dessert...it is too much food for us for one sitting. We also often have a TS breakfast at Olivia's, and a late TS lunch in the parks...the dining plan would not cover both meals.

Based on what we ordered, including tip, for a 9 night stay we came out $5 cheaper by using the DDE than we would have using the dining plan. That is why I encourage folks to add up there meal costs for a typical trip and do the math. The best way to do this is simply add all the dining places up from your room charge bills.

Plus during the trip, we ordered 5 glasses of wine, which I included in my total for our food...they would be out-of-pocket in addition to the dining plan. So, if I didn't count the wine, and based solely on our dining habits, the plan would have cost us about $30 more than using DDE. The plan is of no value to me if I feel like I have to over eat and feel "Thanksgiving stuffed" every day, and I'm a rather rotund guy, 5'8" 250 lbs. We also, as adults, don't do character meals, which are pricey to cover the cost of the CMs in character. There were some days we spent more $$ than the dining plan would cost, and some days we spent less $$, overall, it would not save us anything.

Fair enough. Your first post seemed like you were bad mouthing it, but I think I may have just misread that. THis first post you responded too came from that response.

patsal said:
Yes, but not for the Chef's table.

D'OH!!!! That doesn't make a lot of sense. Oh well, My wife and I are going to treat ourselves to the chef table (I have always wanted to go to V and A; even when I was on the College Program) since I am FINALLY graduating from College (10 year plan WOO HOO!!)... Thought maybe I could save a little bit of money. Maybe I will consider just doing the regular meal if I go the AP path...

I just want to say I'm shocked too - I'd expected a different plan or a higher price. But I'm very pleased. We used the DDE this year, but an AP won't make sense for us every year. The dining plan will be a great value for us (although I suspect we will be paying out of pocket for a few meals and letting a few counter services and snacks go to waste).

Thinking about it, If we get an AP (and with the DVC discount, it makes sense because a 7 day MYW ticket with Parkhopper is 223... the AP with the $100 discount is $295... If you make 2 trips in a year, it is well worth it and I think we are going to do Jan 1-7 2006 and the week before Christmas 2006... sorry I digress), then I might still get the DDE. If we decide to do a breakfast somewhere or an additional TS, then it will be worth it... drinking anywhere will be worth it and if we DO do the regular V and A service with the Wine then the $50 is made up in the discount for the two of us right there... plus the savings for the rest of those traveling with us. I for one may indeed do both the DP AND the DDE. Best of both worlds. I can feel my butt and stomach growing larger all ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter