• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2016

I don't understand why they are doing this...saving money through not having to pay workers for those days can't really make up the difference when they must be paying a TON for the rental space....

It means they are probably getting so few sales, they can't even cover the labor costs and are losing money JUST on these variable costs. That is an ENORMOUS bad sign, b/c this is now the 2nd location with this issue...it could be the start of dominos...

It means they are probably getting so few sales, they can't even cover the labor costs and are losing money JUST on these variable costs. That is an ENORMOUS bad sign, b/c this is now the 2nd location with this issue...it could be the start of dominos...
I wish I could get excited about DS, but for me, the Disney Store and Market Place would be the only things I'd be interested in...we're not even planning on that for our next trip, since you can find practically everything in the Disney Store at almost every other store in the parks and resorts. Way back when, there was unique merchandise (ETA: Disney merchandise, we're not interested in the other stuff) in the different stores...now...mostly the same. Why take the time to even go there, unless you are planning a meal at one of the new restaurants. Just me, I guess.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they are doing this...saving money through not having to pay workers for those days can't really make up the difference when they must be paying a TON for the rental space....
Both of these are Disney owned so they don't pay rent.

What are the contractual obligations for the stores in terms of lease? Was it 3 years? I'm sure they can break for a huge penalty. Are all stores struggling or just some of the more unique ones?

This is both hilarious and sad.

I wish I could get excited about DS, but for me, the Disney Store and Market Place would be the only things I be interested in...we're not even planning on that for our next trip, since you can find practically everything in the Disney Store at almost every other store in the parks and resorts. Way back when, there was unique merchandise in the different stores...now...mostly the same. Why take the time to even go there, unless you are planning a meal at one of the new restaurants. Just me, I guess.
What's interesting is that the site owner of wdwmagic says that the marketplace is struggling while town center is doing well. I assume the moving of the bus stop has something to do with that.

Also I love the marketplace co-op and believe that is probably the most unique place in terms of Disney merchandise. I'm also excited to check out uniqlo and the coke store two things I can't get elsewhere near me. Staying at Saratoga springs in January we will also be checking out a lot of the new dining. D-luxe burger, boathouse, sprinkles, etc.

What are the contractual obligations for the stores in terms of lease? Was it 3 years? I'm sure they can break for a huge penalty. Are all stores struggling or just some of the more unique ones?

This is both hilarious and sad.
I believe the initial is 3 years. Not all of the stores are struggling.

Wow it's hard to believe that the marketplace would struggle. To me that's the only reason to go to DS.
I agree but I think because instead of being dropped right there people don't want to walk over there anymore except for maybe World of Disney. I can see stores on the end like the Christmas store and some of those struggling.

I agree but I think because instead of being dropped right there people don't want to walk over there anymore except for maybe World of Disney. I can see stores on the end like the Christmas store and some of those struggling.
I really liked it where there were two bus stops...then you could be dropped at one end, walk all the way and look at everything, and get picked up at the other end. Now...OY...I need to save my tired feet for the parks! HA HA

That for sure has something to do with it. The Christmas store, the design a Tee and basically everything that is past WoD is probably seeing less traffic. I know for us we were there two weekend days at the end of September. The first day we visited them stores because we stayed one night on Hotel Blvd. and walked down there and had to go past them. After we moved, we drove and parked in the lime garage. We made it down to WoD but just didn't feel like going any further. I do have to confess though that once I stopped at the Poutine place, I slowed down a bit! pirate:

Rteetz- the coke place did not really appeal to us. Spent maybe 15 minutes, got my wife a drink there, but was not our cup of tea so to speak. Really liked Blaze and the afformentioned Poutine place. Wife loved Uniqlo. I still loved the hole in the wall. pirate:

That for sure has something to do with it. The Christmas store, the design a Tee and basically everything that is past WoD is probably seeing less traffic. I know for us we were there two weekend days at the end of September. The first day we visited them stores because we stayed one night on Hotel Blvd. and walked down there and had to go past them. After we moved, we drove and parked in the lime garage. We made it down to WoD but just didn't feel like going any further. I do have to confess though that once I stopped at the Poutine place, I slowed down a bit! pirate:

Rteetz- the coke place did not really appeal to us. Spent maybe 15 minutes, got my wife a drink there, but was not our cup of tea so to speak. Really liked Blaze and the afformentioned Poutine place. Wife loved Uniqlo. I still loved the hole in the wall. pirate:
Biggest reason I want to go to the Coke store is for the Coke bear meet and greet. I don't think I would actually buy anything there. I want to check out blaze and the daily poutine as well.

We went to DS twice this week and man, the bus stop is annoyingly far from the stuff we wanted to do, like the World of Disney, the Lego store, and the food.

We didn't set foot in any of the high end shops, that's not why we go to Disney.

it's also really frustrating making that long walk back to the bus stop with a tired kid. They need to do something about this.

Rumor

Well I have some bad news folks...

Spirit is back and says that Disney execs are liking the plans for the DCA ToT redo so much so that DHS is also going to get it... However it won't come until after Toy Story opens in 2018.

He says Ellen's Energy Adventure has new plans that if it happens would open for the WDW 50th. He does not give an IP but says that Tron was one of the ideas tossed around.

He says WDI had plans for the guardians coaster in Epcot but costs sky rocketed and passed up the cost of radiator springs racers which is the most expensive attraction Disney has built. The coaster would have been similar to the planned Captain america coaster for DCA.

I'll just leave this from @creepykingdom here in response to the unfortunate TOT rumors.

Save the TOT.jpg

Now a 2nd Disney Springs location isn't even gonna open at all for certain days/weeks at a time. Wow!!

That's not how I read the linked article. It says: "Additionally, beginning from Friday, November 11, Aristocrepes will transition to a seasonal location, serving a variety of holiday beverages including hot chocolate, unique cocktails, and more."

To me, that "seasonal" is a descriptor of the menu, not the structure of which days/weeks the location is open.

That's not how I read the linked article. It says: "Additionally, beginning from Friday, November 11, Aristocrepes will transition to a seasonal location, serving a variety of holiday beverages including hot chocolate, unique cocktails, and more."

To me, that "seasonal" is a descriptor of the menu, not the structure of which days/weeks the location is open.

Best definition of a failed business .... "seasonal" :). Sad - that's ONE failed enterprise at DS.... let's wait & see how many others toss in the towel...

Now - to be fair? I never expected more than 50% of these "new offerings" to survive beyond a year....

All personal opinion, I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong....

What's interesting is that the site owner of wdwmagic says that the marketplace is struggling while town center is doing well. I assume the moving of the bus stop has something to do with that.

Also I love the marketplace co-op and believe that is probably the most unique place in terms of Disney merchandise. I'm also excited to check out uniqlo and the coke store two things I can't get elsewhere near me. Staying at Saratoga springs in January we will also be checking out a lot of the new dining. D-luxe burger, boathouse, sprinkles, etc.
If you get a chance, try Erin McKennas bakery. It's so good!

Reading - it's fundamental:)...
"Finally, Amorette’s Patisserie began serving a mixture of savory and sweet crepes (that's not surprising since Aristocrepes is becoming a seasonal location and will therefore be closed during certain times)".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter