News Round Up 2017

I hear this complaint from people from time to time and it makes me chuckle. I'm not paying to go to the movie theater to see some character driven drama or comedy with a great story. It costs way too much to watch something on the big screen that is just as good 6 weeks later on my large t.v. and surround sound at home. To take my wife to the movies I'm looking at $50 in dinner, at least and that's what, one step above fast food? $30 in movie tickets, $15 for popcorn and drinks, and $40 for a babysitter. $135 to see something that I can watch for $5 or $6 after the kids go to bed in a few weeks? No thank you.

So production companies have no choice. They have to produce something that is worth dropping big bucks to see on the big screen. For me, that's special effects, dynamite sound, and groundbreaking graphics. So yeah, the comic book sequels, Star Wars, and kids cartoons are all I'm paying for on the big screen. Though I understand why others are willing to see Transformers, PotC, and Fast and Furious even if I'm not. And I'm guessing there are way more Americans like me, realizing there is limited to no value in watching that Oscar winning drama on the big screen versus my large screen t.v., than there are people that will go see a movie in the movie theater just because it is a good story.

Exactly.

I'm not a big, angry Avatar hater, but I really didn't like the film. It was a spectacle of (what was at the time) innovative technology and was certainly worth seeing for that alone, but I would've preferred to see a more original story and/or quality acting paired with that spectacle.

What bothers me about its popularity (or films like Transformers making so much money) is that Hollywood is perpetually rewarded for making garbage. It keeps delivering the message that the script/story is meaningless. And Hollywood keeps churning out the same, silly stuff. That would also be fine with me if there was also an appropriate investment in original ideas. Production companies are not willing to take the risk because so few people want to see quality movies. They want sequels, reboots, or rehashes; they want CGI; they want to see the good guys wearing white and the bad guy wearing black; and they want the good guy to live happily ever after.

Inversely, quality films are rarely rewarded with much commercial success. It's hard to even get those films made. Moonlight, this year's Oscar winner, grossed less than 28M domestically. That would be a failure of an opening weekend for a Transformers film.

All I'm hearing is you are angry that people will pay to watch Transformers and you're the only one who wants to watch Dr Zhivago in theater now days> ;)

People are saying on a Disney World FB group that they are being held on Express Transportation and being told AK is closed until further notice because of "inclement weather." Any details on this? Or even any validity?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter