• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

Ya, well - let's see how well the second movie does without the "wow" factor of 3D behind it. Avatar came at the beginning of that giant 3D film resurgence and was one of the few at the time that was actually filmed in 3D and not simply post processed (which gives more of a shadow box feel).

The fad was huge, but short lived. In the time since the first Avatar movie, not only have 3D film releases largely subsided, but even home 3D TV's have come and gone.

When Avatar first came out I often heard it described as dances with wolves as portrayed by smurfs. As harsh as that may sound, it does illustrate how derivative the movie was. So while it wasn't necessarily a bad film, it really didn't bring anything new to the table other than a great use of 3d tech. With the "wow" of Pandora out of the way now, Cameron is forced to rely on the alien's themselves to carry the story line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the movie is going to fail for sure. But I do think it has a huge uphill battle.

That said-and I agree with you on all the main points-if it only does 1/3 of the original it will still be one of the 50 highest grossing movies of all time.

Not that this reply really fits this post, but I'm behind--- I wouldn't want to go on FOP for the first time without at least an hour to absorb the cue. Also, in retrospect, I wish I had ridden River prior to Flight-- seems to build the story better-- and after flight, nothing has much of a wow.... The river journey would have been much better used as a lead in.....
This all makes great sense! Any tips on how to implement? Thinking you would have to get your fast pass for river, and then plan on riding FOP close to closing? And from the sounds of things, this wouldn't be a possibility Until late night extra magic hours for resort guests are no longer offered.

That said-and I agree with you on all the main points-if it only does 1/3 of the original it will still be one of the 50 highest grossing movies of all time.

Part of why the first one did so good though was people were going back for repeat viewings. People who saw it in regular theaters went back and saw it in Imax. People who saw it in 2D went back and saw it in 3D. It really was the first time I ever remember people saying, "Go see this movie, and *make sure* you see it in 3D."

To do 1/3 of the original sounds easy, but it's not as simple as 1/3 of the people who saw the original going back. Not when so much of the originals revenue was built off of repeat viewings and inflated 3D & Imax ticket prices.

This all makes great sense! Any tips on how to implement? Thinking you would have to get your fast pass for river, and then plan on riding FOP close to closing? And from the sounds of things, this wouldn't be a possibility Until late night extra magic hours for resort guests are no longer offered.

Right-- I don't know how other than to wait for a few months-- we were lucky to hit the surprise soft opening....this morning fop was 240 and river was 120....

There was a line to get into pandora that we skipped because we were in our FPP window.

Part of why the first one did so good though was people were going back for repeat viewings. People who saw it in regular theaters went back and saw it in Imax. People who saw it in 2D went back and saw it in 3D. It really was the first time I ever remember people saying, "Go see this movie, and *make sure* you see it in 3D."

To do 1/3 of the original sounds easy, but it's not as simple as 1/3 of the people who saw the original going back. Not when so much of the originals revenue was built off of repeat viewings and inflated 3D & Imax ticket prices.

If you want to base it off repeat viewings, etc, the same thing can be said about Titanic. I was in high school at the time and girls were going see that movie 10 times over. No way it would have be #3 all time otherwise.

If you want to base it off repeat viewings, etc, the same thing can be said about Titanic. I was in high school at the time and girls were going see that movie 10 times over. No way it would have be #3 all time otherwise.

Frankly, all of the top 10 adjusted for inflation had huge numbers seeing it more than once. Several had more than one theatrical release. Avatar, with only one theatrical release and a very limited adjustment for inflation, grossed an obscene amount of money. People can talk it down all they want, point to 3d, point to whatever they want, but all the highest grossing films of all time have some kind of hook that differentiated them.

Gone with the Wind had revolutionary set pieces. Star Wars, E.T. and Jaws had ridiculous special effects at the time of their release. Titanic had an almost full-scale half model of the ship mechanically sunk for a scene. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were a huge step forward in animation. The only movies on the inflation adjusted list that were primarily story driven as opposed to groundbreaking filmmaking in some way were The Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments, and Doctor Zhivago.... All of those pre-1966.

Further, the way Avatar stood out in 2009, in a time of way more studio releases than existed in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, makes it that much more impressive. The top grossing movies before and after Avatar made less than half the gross of Avatar. The next movie to make more than 2/3rds as much as Avatar was The Force Awakens. Frozen, for example, as big a hit as it is for Disney, grossed significantly less than 1/2 as much.

There is no way to wish away how big a hit Avatar was in 2009. On a historical basis, it was a massively popular movie.

Frankly, all of the top 10 adjusted for inflation had huge numbers seeing it more than once. Several had more than one theatrical release. Avatar, with only one theatrical release and a very limited adjustment for inflation, grossed an obscene amount of money. People can talk it down all they want, point to 3d, point to whatever they want, but all the highest grossing films of all time have some kind of hook that differentiated them.

Gone with the Wind had revolutionary set pieces. Star Wars, E.T. and Jaws had ridiculous special effects at the time of their release. Titanic had an almost full-scale half model of the ship mechanically sunk for a scene. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were a huge step forward in animation. The only movies on the inflation adjusted list that were primarily story driven as opposed to groundbreaking filmmaking in some way were The Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments, and Doctor Zhivago.... All of those pre-1966.

Further, the way Avatar stood out in 2009, in a time of way more studio releases than existed in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, makes it that much more impressive. The top grossing movies before and after Avatar made less than half the gross of Avatar. The next movie to make more than 2/3rds as much as Avatar was The Force Awakens. Frozen, for example, as big a hit as it is for Disney, grossed significantly less than 1/2 as much.

There is no way to wish away how big a hit Avatar was in 2009. On a historical basis, it was a massively popular movie.

I totally agree with you and thought Avatar was an amazing movie set for it's time. We will always have haters on the forums that dislike Avatar, dislike this, or dislike that. Looking at the top 10 list adjusted for inflation. Every movie had some niche at the time like you said, it wow'd people that went to see it for that niche. The only one I'm not familiar with is Exorcist since I've never seen the movie myself. I saw Avatar once in IMAX 3d when it came out and was blown away by the visual effects and everything that came along with it. Also, crazy to think that Gone With The Wind made almost $200 million in 1939, when some movies these days don't even come close to that.

I don't really get the crazy backlash that Avatar seems to get. Was it a great movie? No. But it was 10 times better than any part of the Transformers movies, and they are releasing a 5th one of those piles of garbage and they make a billion dollars each. Why do people seem so angry that Avatar was popular? I really don't get it. Who cares? And who even cares if they make more movies and if they are popular? You don't like it, don't go see it.

I don't really get the crazy backlash that Avatar seems to get. Was it a great movie? No. But it was 10 times better than any part of the Transformers movies, and they are releasing a 5th one of those piles of garbage and they make a billion dollars each. Why do people seem so angry that Avatar was popular? I really don't get it. Who cares? And who even cares if they make more movies and if they are popular? You don't like it, don't go see it.

I think people get upset when something is #1 or considered one of the very top or something and they don't think it is worthy of it from a quality standpoint

You see it all the time when arguing over who is a better athlete. Like people bash LeBron and say he is no Jordan and get like really upset if someone suggests he is better than Jordon ... but at the end of the day they are both 2 of the greatest players of all time so who cares if you think he is #1 and I think he is #2 or something

I think people get upset when something is #1 or considered one of the very top or something and they don't think it is worthy of it from a quality standpoint

You see it all the time when arguing over who is a better athlete. Like people bash LeBron and say he is no Jordan and get like really upset if someone suggests he is better than Jordon ... but at the end of the day they are both 2 of the greatest players of all time so who cares if you think he is #1 and I think he is #2 or something
It's like the tired Manning, Brady, Montana debate

It's like the tired Manning, Brady, Montana debate

or, since Avatar is so based on total $ maybe it would be like adding Drew Brees to the conversation who has a ton or yards - or Farve who has a ton of touchdowns. So by that one measure they move to the top but you know they aren't as good as those other three. but that doesn't mean that Brees and Farve are bad QBs, just they aren't *as* good as one particular stat would rank them as being

or, since Avatar is so based on total $ maybe it would be like adding Drew Brees to the conversation who has a ton or yards - or Farve who has a ton of touchdowns. So by that one measure they move to the top but you know they aren't as good as those other three. but that doesn't mean that Brees and Farve are bad QBs, just they aren't *as* good as one particular stat would rank them as being
Or cough Rodgers cough....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter