• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

bummer...was looking forward to the Illuminations Dessert Party during our trip, but have no interest in Frozen - guess we just saved some money!!

Now if the reservation system was just available. I've been having trouble all day. I just called and spoke to a cast member, she said it is down, but expected up this afternoon.

You're right. There isn't much theming in these rooms either, but they don't feel as sterile as the new rooms. I think what bothers me about the new rooms is lack of theming AND lack of color. The blue accent wall helps in the old room. I would like the new rooms MUCH better if they had an accent wall or the whole room was painted something other than white/beige. The bed runners in the test room were great also. I wish they were kept. It's ridiculous that people actually steal things like that. Couldn't Disney have charged the credit on file if they went missing, instead of getting rid of them?
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the new room look is sterile

...That's it? What a let down. In today's world it needs to be something like this or nothing. I expect more from Disney, even when it comes to just a vending machine.

tumblr_mrji1p6Yoj1rtaovmo1_500.jpg

Saw this at POP on Memorial Day weekend. It was functioning, and a great idea for certain items (autograph books, pens..). We'll see if they adjust the item selection over time to focus more on vacation essentials.
I didn't see it while I was there. Granted I didn't spend a ton of time in the lobby.

The bed runners in the test room were great also. I wish they were kept. It's ridiculous that people actually steal things like that. Couldn't Disney have charged the credit on file if they went missing, instead of getting rid of them?

I used to work in hotels. One of my jobs was in Accounting where I handled credit card chargebacks. While it makes sense to charge guests who steal things, the reality is that it's an uphill battle. Chances are high that the charge will be disputed. Disputed charges of this nature are tough to "win" for a hotel. Although it may have changed, different card providers will respond differently. For example, American Express would almost always side with the customer unless we had definitive proof that the charge was valid.

Consider how easy it would be to accidentally charge the wrong guest for a stolen item. One small error by a Housekeeping staff member is all it takes for that to happen.

For Disney, eliminating something like bed runners is a smart decision. The number of people who decide that the lack of a bed runner is a reason to stay offsite will be infinitesimally small. Contrast that with potential ill will (that could get magnified via social media) that charging the wrong guest would create.

I used to work in hotels. One of my jobs was in Accounting where I handled credit card chargebacks. While it makes sense to charge guests who steal things, the reality is that it's an uphill battle. Chances are high that the charge will be disputed. Disputed charges of this nature are tough to "win" for a hotel. Although it may have changed, different card providers will respond differently. For example, American Express would almost always side with the customer unless we had definitive proof that the charge was valid.

Consider how easy it would be to accidentally charge the wrong guest for a stolen item. One small error by a Housekeeping staff member is all it takes for that to happen.

For Disney, eliminating something like bed runners is a smart decision. The number of people who decide that the lack of a bed runner is a reason to stay offsite will be infinitesimally small. Contrast that with potential ill will (that could get magnified via social media) that charging the wrong guest would create.

I'll start by saying that I know nothing about this industry.

I always thought that common items that get stolen from hotel rooms (robes, towels, bed runners, maybe pillows?) had their cost built into the price of the room to avoid all of this? If a lamp gets broken, then an extra charge happens. But for "little" things, I figured it was just a part of the price.

Granted I don't know how much each item would cost. And I don't have any source on this, just something I always assumed was a type of thief defense mechanism.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter