• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

Don't places like the Yachtsman charge a premium on the dining plan for certain cuts of steak? I could see Disney doing this for alcohol. Certain dining plan eligible drinks < $9 and then pay a premium or just exclude the more expensive ones.

they do fro the Wagu beef

I actually wish more places did that as I feel they sometimes limit the menu to fit into the dining plan and/or the dining plan needs to be costed so that the more expensive items can fit financially. So theoretically if they did more "upcharges" you could have the dining plan be a little cheaper and have more options on the menu ... the downside is that I know some people love the dining plan because then they don't have to worry about what they pick on the menu and everyone in the family is free to pick whatever they want regardless of costs, so that benefit would go away a bit

@TheMaxRebo - I did think of you when I said it could be a "deal maker"! :D

And I'm with you, it should be an add-on, kinda like the cruises.

But if the dining plan goes up by $5 PER PERSON, is it really a better deal?

In my opinion any time you're trading real currency for credits of some kind it's no deal. There's just way too many variables that may get in the way of using credits. For all those that have peace of mind that it's paid off in advance, I get concerned that I'll be holding credits I don't want/can't use at the end of the week. But that's just me, I know others think differently.

In my opinion any time you're trading real currency for credits of some kind it's no deal. There's just way too many variables that may get in the way of using credits. For all those that have peace of mind that it's paid off in advance, I get concerned that I'll be holding credits I don't want/can't use at the end of the week. But that's just me, I know others think differently.

It's not just you - I found the one time we did the dining plan I was overplanning how to get the best value out of it and ensuring we weren't not using credits, etc.

I am happy for those that love the plan and stuff - just isn't for me/our family

So if I'm reading the beverage language correctly, would you still receive some sort of add-on charge if say you order a cocktail with your meal and then also ask for an iced tea? If so I wonder if we will see some sort of increase in non-alcoholic beverage prices (soda, tea, coffee, etc.).

It's not just you - I found the one time we did the dining plan I was overplanning how to get the best value out of it and ensuring we weren't not using credits, etc.

I am happy for those that love the plan and stuff - just isn't for me/our family
For me whenever I see posts/threads about the Dining Plan my only thought is hopefully people understand why they are getting it for their family for their specific trip (as each trip may be different). I don't care why someone chooses the plan so long as they understand why and there's no sense in beating around the bush if you get the plan regardless of it being financial sense or not if you already understand that.

If someone cares about the cost aspect then they should be doing an actual cost analysis themselves. If they want to know which Dining Plan would be best for them they should be looking at what places they want to eat at and compare it with what each Dining Plan will get them. If they are on the fence of even getting the Dining Plan then they should be looking at how the Dining Plan works and if getting it would create more stress or alleviate stress. And etc.

Your republic credits are no good here

So - I haven't seen it posted yet:

QS Dinng: 2018 Price $52.49 / adult - up from $48.19 / adult 8.9% increase or $4.30 (DFB is showing $21.75 for kids but not the 2017 price)
DDP: $75.49 / adult up from $69.35 / adult in 2017 again 8.9% increase or $6.14 (DFB is showing $25.80 for kidsbut not the 2017 price)

So the answer is YES - everyone is paying for the upgraded drinks.

Also: Deluxe going to $116.24 / adult from $106.68 / adult, again 8.9 % increase. ($39.90 / child)

These prices aren't bad for kids under 10, but the adult price, and particularly for 10+ kids is just getting silly.

I can pay for 2 signature meals including tip with my TiW discount for that deluxe adult price o_O

Well, as I said earlier today - we spent average $133 per day last October for 3 people (2 adults and 13 year old) compared to what would now be $226 per day for DDP - and while we didn't eat TS every day, we ate everywhere we wanted to. DDP becomes a worse and worse value every year.

Is there a site that has a list of named windows? Sounds like a great way to enjoy an afternoon looking for them all!

If you have an iPhone, go into the app store and type "main street windows" and you will find an app. It hasn't been updated in a few years so it won't have Meg Crofton, but it will have most of them. You can also just search for a list in an Internet browser but most of them are also incomplete or outdated.

Disney probably noticed a lot of people subbing out regular soft drinks for things like milkshakes to make the dining plan a "better" value. It must have figured it could increase the price per person per night and throw in an alcoholic beverage that not all adults will use. No doubt this is why MK restaurants started serving alcohol.

Disney will increase the price of the dining plan and people will still pay for it regardless. Now it will make more money on people who drink water/soda just like it does when people let credits expire.

I agree with this.

One of the main reasons for the push to MM + was to get better data. With better data they can monetize more efficiently and effectively.

I've read many blogs/threads on this board that getting a specialty drink was a kind of "loophole" to getting more value out of the DDP.

I'm sure they now have the data showing how many people were getting specialty drinks, found a way to work it into a price increase.

I am happy for those of you who are happy about it. (Not sarcasm) I just see this the same way many people viewed the addition of Memory Maker to the AP. Disney says, "Hey! We're increasing the cost of your AP, but you get free MM with your AP!" That's great - except not everyone in my family needs MM; only one person does. (I guess the same could be said about the dining & shopping discounts, too, but that's not a one-time fee.) Hypothetically, not everyone on the dining plan in my family needs (or even wants) to get the premium beverages.

So, here's a question - since 10 yo and up are technically adults on the dining plan, can an over-21 person order an alcoholic beverage utilizing the 10 yo's entitlement? (And order water for the child.) DH doesn't drink and I have two Disney adults, could I not get up to four alcoholic drinks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter