• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

Plus Peter Pan always has a crazy long line

A lot of it is thruput not just how good/thrilling a ride is that causes lines

Very true.

And so people know - the Tomorrowland Speedway has a typical hourly ride capacity 450 people per hour, which is NOTHING. (BTMRR is 1,400, 7DMine Train is 1,500, Space Mountain 1,800, Haunted Mansion 2,900, even lowly Peter Pan is 720 per hour.) This is why lines are usually large at the Speedway - not because it's popular, but because it doesn't absorb any people. And trust me, if there is anything that threatens that ride to being closed is the massive footprint that absorbs no bodies.

We rode the speedway for the very first time last trip when our DD was 13. We avoided it like the plague for years, because I can ride the exact same ride in my neighborhood, only the cars actually go more than 5 miles an hour. If you can't guess, I would be perfectly fine with it being removed. I also wouldn't mind if it stayed, but would prefer it not be a noisy-pollution filled ride in "Tomorrowland". Maybe the a future if the government rollback emissions regulations?

personally my top vote would be for a refurb to the speedway coupled with the idea someone had put out on here to build over it (so part of the speedway was covered and some not) and then you could add another attraction over it to better utilize the space

But assuming the put something good in there (like they are in Tokyo with the whole Beauty and the Beast area) I can't complain much if it goes away

Personally, I would love to see the same kart type attraction but like indoors. That would add some more immersion, especially if it was Sugar Rush or tron, the skies would be able to change depending what part of sugar rush you are and special effects could go off, like the final race scene in Wreck It Ralph.

Hi everyone. A friend of mine just used her first Discover Disney pass for Florida residents. She asked the CM at the ticket pickup why AK was blacked out for the dates in May/June and the CM replied, "Something may be opening on those dates." That all but confirms Pandora opening at the end of May for me. This is still hear say since I didn't hear it for myself, but I trust this friend is telling the truth. It would be amazing considering how much they have left to do over there.

personally my top vote would be for a refurb to the speedway coupled with the idea someone had put out on here to build over it (so part of the speedway was covered and some not) and then you could add another attraction over it to better utilize the space

But assuming the put something good in there (like they are in Tokyo with the whole Beauty and the Beast area) I can't complain much if it goes away

I have to agree this ride needs a refurb or needs to go away. On my last trip this past summer I saw something I never thought I would see. On the furthest part of the track away from the station, a car somehow managed to break its rear axle !!! I'm talking serious carnage, like one of the wheels (with part of the axle attached) flew off the car and rolled half way across the track. The car was on its side to the point it was on the verge of flipping upside down. The boy driving the car had gotten out and was with other family members who where all crying and upset. Oil (or some other type of fluid) was spilling all over the track and traffic was backed up worse than the I-4. Crew members where running every direction and didn't appear to have any idea what to do.

I was shocked that a simple go cart like that could be in such a state of disrepair that it could have had such a catastrophic failure. I'm sure these cars are abused by thousands of people everyday but what I saw wasn't the kind of damage that could be caused by bad guest behavior or not following the rules. It was a serious maintenance issue. I can't imagine how an axle which was so badly damaged that it snapped the way it did wasn't detected earlier and removed from service. It may have been just one car but they are all old and I think the ride has already outlived its usefulness.

Obviously children (and adults - myself included) enjoy karting attractions, so I find myself in favor of the suggestions to replace it either with a Sugar Rush theme or a Tron theme (depending of the Fantasyland / Tomorrowland presence).
I'm torn on whether I like the idea of getting rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway or not. I have fond memories of driving those cars as a 9 year old, and my girls have both enjoyed it as well. But, I agree it smells, is noisy, and doesn't really fit the theme that well. If it stays, it really could use an update, like electric vehicles and a new track/theme.

To add to the PP about Sugar Rush, thinking about what's becoming of Stitch's Great Escape, I believe the first rumors were pointing to Sugar Rush VR ride going there, but if I'm correct that's now been changed to something else (I could be wrong). Anyway, I wonder if they could have scrapped Sugar Rush at Stitch and instead do an overlay/update of Tomorrowland Speedway with Sugar Rush? Just a thought.

What I find amusing in this is the poster that thinks Autotopia is way better. It's a more interesting track, but the time we rode it, we couldn't even get up to speed because the cars in front of us were moving SOO slow. Then at the end we sat in our car for 10 minutes waiting to unload. I kept thinking - "This is less Autotopia and more 405 simulator". Won't ride there again either.

Though admittedly that space is much better used. The monorail does a few loops above the track, and the Submarine Voyage is actually run UNDER the track - so they have 3 rides taking up the same footprint.

What I find amusing in this is the poster that thinks Autotopia is way better. It's a more interesting track, but the time we rode it, we couldn't even get up to speed because the cars in front of us were moving SOO slow. Then at the end we sat in our car for 10 minutes waiting to unload. I kept thinking - "This is less Autotopia and more 405 simulator". Won't ride there again either.

Though admittedly that space is much better used. The monorail does a few loops above the track, and the Submarine Voyage is actually run UNDER the track - so they have 3 rides taking up the same footprint.

actually more rides as there is track from the now defunct Rocket Rods (and some from the People Mover I think as well) .... it is definitely a lot more scenic and I think your experience might have been worse than others as we didn't have that issue with super slow cars

Personally I still think the version at Hong Kong Disneyland is/was the best as it was more scenic but also used electric cars that made fun, futuristic noises when you accelerated, etc. - definitely fit "Tomorrowland" more

I wonder if this is part of letting folks into Main Street before official opening? It makes sense and it'd spread crowds out for Starbucks.

Yeah one of the posters here (I believe its Yulilin) did some exploring on one of the first days and saw some of these offerings last week. It's a good idea for sure. I'm not sure I'd get any of these things, especially overpriced cereal, but it's good they have some options.

News

Sad Disney Broadway news. James Iglehart, the Genie in Aladdin on Broadway is leaving for Hamilton. Good for him but he was an amazing Genie.

http://www.playbill.com/article/a-new-genie-will-materialize-in-broadway-aladdin

Like you said, obviously great for him but a bit blow to Aladdin I think - he really made that role his own (which is not easy to do). Definitely need to give the new person a shot but he really made the entire performance for me when we saw it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter