News Round Up 2017

I wonder if I saw this as a kid? My folks weren't really into the parades, so we didn't do them...terrible mean parents... hopefully ya'll will alert me if the Gummy Bears get a re-boot. I might dvr that and enjoy it over a load of cocktails with friends:)

*gummy bears...bouncing here and there and everywhere...*
You mean there is more than ONE of you out there?!

News

Interesting thoughts on Disney leaving Netflix

https://t.co/VpEIlZoS68

I don't know if it is out of spite as much as Disney/Iger know they need to have a streaming platform and one option was merging with Netflix and when they wouldn't do it they went to plan B which was to start their own (which they obviously need their own content for). I don't think it was like they just come up with the idea as a "screw you!" to netflix

Yup - they had a parade float and everything
View attachment 264159
I remember this float SO MUCH! It was the last childhood trip to WDW and unfortunately, Mom sent off the film to get developed... and THEY LOST IT!!! all I have of "the Gummi Bears @ WDW" is emblazoned in my tiny 7-y/o memory.

I wonder if I saw this as a kid? My folks weren't really into the parades, so we didn't do them...terrible mean parents... hopefully ya'll will alert me if the Gummy Bears get a re-boot. I might dvr that and enjoy it over a load of cocktails with friends:)

*gummy bears...bouncing here and there and everywhere...*
They DID release the series on DVD at one point... I know this because my kiddo pulled the discs out and asked me about it last night! LOL

With Cosmic Ray's (shudder) expanding and the addition of alcohol to the dining plan next year - are their any rumblings about adding beer and wine to the CS places at MK yet? As I mention as often as possible, with the crowding and strollers, and general chaos at MK, more than the other parks, its the place I'd most enjoy a drink, even if its box of wine. With the dining plan change, I thought we might hear something along those lines. It'll be first time I'm happy about any changes brought about by the dining plan.

With Cosmic Ray's (shudder) expanding and the addition of alcohol to the dining plan next year - are their any rumblings about adding beer and wine to the CS places at MK yet? As I mention as often as possible, with the crowding and strollers, and general chaos at MK, more than the other parks, its the place I'd most enjoy a drink, even if its box of wine. With the dining plan change, I thought we might hear something along those lines. It'll be first time I'm happy about any changes brought about by the dining plan.
I haven't heard anything as of yet.

I think it is because of that chaos that you speak of that they don't want alcohol out in public spaces. Obviously there was a lot of negative reaction when it was announced table service locations in MK would now have beer and wine, but I think many tolerated it because it would be "hidden" and only inside those dining locations and limited to beer and wine (and I think limit of 2 per guest per meal). If they start having drink stands with people having tons of drinks they carry around (and often spill on people due to chaos) I think there might be riots of reaction

I think it is because of that chaos that you speak of that they don't want alcohol out in public spaces. Obviously there was a lot of negative reaction when it was announced table service locations in MK would now have beer and wine, but I think many tolerated it because it would be "hidden" and only inside those dining locations and limited to beer and wine (and I think limit of 2 per guest per meal). If they start having drink stands with people having tons of drinks they carry around (and often spill on people due to chaos) I think there might be riots of reaction

I think the reaction to alcohol in the MK was mostly positive. The Dis leans to a certain viewpoint, not bad, but to most casual visitors, I think it was overwhelmingly embraced. They have booze at AK, and Pandora - which any new land opening will have chaos - and I have seen no reports of any crazy drunken behavior. We'll just have to disagree on what's coming, but I always enjoy your thoughts, Rebo:)

I think the reaction to alcohol in the MK was mostly positive. The Dis leans to a certain viewpoint, not bad, but to most casual visitors, I think it was overwhelmingly embraced. They have booze at AK, and Pandora - which any new land opening will have chaos - and I have seen no reports of any crazy drunken behavior. We'll just have to disagree on what's coming, but I always enjoy your thoughts, Rebo:)

Maybe what I witnessed was atypical but I saw multiple Facebook threads and stories with people in the comments losing their minds in a negative way. I actually am more with you in that I haven't seen much negative drunken behavior (and what I have seen is limited to World Showcase in EPCOT). I think a lot of the negative is that Walt wanted Disneyland to be dry and this is going against what he wanted, etc. (though, if he was alive now who knows what he would want).

I can envision some nightmare scenarios with Main St being slammed and someone spilling a beer on a stroller or something and it just leading to a ton of negative sentiments/news/etc.

One thing I will say is that if they are going to have alcohol at table service location in MK they needs to start having some tropical drinks at the Skipper's Canteen!

I think it is because of that chaos that you speak of that they don't want alcohol out in public spaces.
I'm in this camp. The worst behavior/tempers I've seen over our past couple of Aug trips has been in MK. Especially with the chaos at park close. The last thing I'd want to see is all those people after a few drinks picked up somewhere where they weren't at least also eating a meal. No thanks.

I was totally supportive of alcohol in TS restaurants in MK. I'd hate to see them make alcohol available at QS locations there.

ETA: if all were like @amberpi, no sweat, I am sure!! But alas, too many are NOT. :) Picture that crazy woman who followed a DISer's sister for 10min in MK looking for a good spot to kick her *** after some nuttiness on 7DMT (thread on theme parks board)... Something tells me that situation wouldn't have improved with a few beers purchased at a stand...

Last edited:
Maybe what I witnessed was atypical but I saw multiple Facebook threads and stories with people in the comments losing their minds in a negative way. I actually am more with you in that I haven't seen much negative drunken behavior (and what I have seen is limited to World Showcase in EPCOT). I think a lot of the negative is that Walt wanted Disneyland to be dry and this is going against what he wanted, etc. (though, if he was alive now who knows what he would want).

I can envision some nightmare scenarios with Main St being slammed and someone spilling a beer on a stroller or something and it just leading to a ton of negative sentiments/news/etc.

One thing I will say is that if they are going to have alcohol at table service location in MK they needs to start having some tropical drinks at the Skipper's Canteen!

I saw very different reactions. Lots of friends saying they'd finally eat in the MK, because they're adults and want wine with dinner. I saw SW fans consider going to MK after not giving a poop for years. There's a different "stigma" to the goody-goody vibe of MK among some sets.

I get that Walt, compared to the parks at that time, wanted a dry park. I would have too based on what I've read - they sounded sketchy. Walt was also all about change. Times have changed, Walt would have, or at least I like to think so. People see in him what they want. I see a hard drinking, chain smoking, business man who evolved with the times, because I can't bare to think of some the less kind thoughts he may had which were reflective of the time. And, I see a progressive (not in the current political sense). Others could see a whole host of different stuff.

But LORD, yes, they need to have some tropical drinks at Skipper's! As Tweedledee would say "that's logic."

Before anyone else says it - we should probably get back to the news, and there doesn't seem to be any presently on this topic:)

ETA: if all were like @amberpi, no sweat, I am sure!! But alas, too many are NOT. :) Picture that crazy woman who followed a DISer's sister for 10min in MK looking for a good spot to kick her *** after some nuttiness on 7DMT (thread on theme parks board)... Something tells me that situation wouldn't have improved with a few beers purchased at a stand...

I've never once almost gotten into a brawl - WDW or otherwise:) #lifegoals That was a crazy, scary story though.

ETA: I don't know if this is the place to ask - but what happens to people that do that kind of thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter